LG50PK990 VS LG60pk990

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Not sure if this question has been asked before but ill ask anyway. Thinking of buying the LG50pk990 and in my searches have come across the LG60pk990. Will there be any differences with the bigger television even though its the same model?

A

Anonymous

Hard to say about the quality, but I presume the 60 one will be more expensive, and it depends from the viewing distance because at shorter distances the 50inch model will be probably better but on longer distances,as they say the bigger the better......

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
On another forum, in a galaxy far far away there have been a few calibrations on variations of the current LG panel - the 50's come out very well indeed but the one 60" I've seen came noticeably worse out of the box. (based on meter readings etc...) Could be a one-off or something different going on, was fixable though - would just take more effort with the set-up if you wanted the best out of it.

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
60PK990 is £1999 on Dixons site at the moment, use the current 5% disc coupon and go thru Quidco for 3.2% cashback and it lowers the effective price to £1838 ;-)

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks people. Its all sounding good, I do agree though bigger is better and theres no budget, im not rich but if i want it that bad i will save up for it. Might take me till 2012 though so that 63'' might have to wait but we will see. Meanwhile the dixons offer is looking good. thanks.

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
The Dixons 5% coupon is only valid til Thurs, although they tend to do one of these coupons every month. Current code for 5% off is "TV899".

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
60PK990 price update: PC World have the same price £1999 and a 5% coupon valid til 23 June ("PCW5") and until today (Sunday 20th June) the Quidco cashback is slightly higher than Dixons at 3.5% so the effective price is a few quid lower at £1832.58 ;-)

PC World/Dixons/Currys are all part of the same group ofcourse.

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Soopafly49:yeah thats great thanks dude. I think you can get those deals with perkz.com mostly every month anyway ill look into into it.

I am with Perkz too but by using the Perkz codes thru Quidco you might not get the Quidco cashback. Better off checking the Quidco site as that usually lists the codes that will work in conjection with Quidco cashback once you click on the relevant retailers logo etc.

I am looking at getting the 50PK990, after a few months of research this seems the best bet for me so good luck with your 60" version!

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks i'll check it out.

Yeah i might ending up getting that one too well see how it goes. I think the 50'' is going for like 1100 at the moment on amazon probably currys aswell.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have also been looking into the 60PK990 and as I couldn't find a review looked at the one for the 50" and the glaring problem seems to be image retention ( at times they say quite noticable), although the review does say it expects it to go after the first 100 hours. Does enyone own set to comment on this ?

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
I am getting the 50" one very soon but don't know of anyone personally who has got one or had one long enough to comment.

A review on another website said that their review set (50PK990) showed noticeably less retention than their 50PK790 review set so they theorised that the 990 had more hours on the clock than the 790.

The general opinion is that after the first 100-150 it will become less of an issue, i guess the question is how much better does it actually get?

It seems the 590 model is the big seller of this years LG plasma range and it is quite a difference in price versus the 990 and owners of the 590 seem to be very happy with their tv's - the only negative comment really being the reflective screen which is the main reason i was leaning towards the 990 as i am not too concerned about the different set designs.

I have spent the last few months researching the 2009 and 2010 plasmas and all have their strengths and weaknesses, if it weren't the Panasonic changing black level issue then i would have most certainly gone for a G20. For me the LG is the next best option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts