Latest Arrival

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
turntable.jpg

Genie mk III, not my first turntable experience but it has been many decades, We have several piles of vinyl in the front room now emptied my mums attic and ours of my wife's stuff, probably will not listen to any of it more than once but having fun trying it out. Some of it is older than me
emotion-3.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Eek!

It is on top of a hollow cabinet right next to a big speaker! (Please tell me you have concrete floors not floorboards.)

Looks nice anyway.

Strongly advise to get it onto a light, rigid and perfectly level surface away from the speaker or (if you have cavity floors/floorboards) a rigid wall-mounted support fixed to a masonry wall.

How does it sound?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
ProJect instructions recommend a wooden platform but I must admit position is not ideal, With my room layout the cabinet has to go next to speaker, I cant move the speaker without sacrificing optimum speaker position, and yes I have wooden boards
emotion-10.gif

So far don't have much in the way of high quality recordings but surprisingly the wife's old record collection has some nice sounding stuff in, Franky Goes to Hollywood 12 Extended Mix of The Power of Love was an unexpected suprise.

Felt mat is becoming annoying the records are getting a bit staticy and the mat sticks to them I can see a cork matt order imminent.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
How do you keep these "exposed" turntables from getting all dusty? All of my former turntables had perspex covers.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

Project Wall mount. (You can fine tune the levelling with the spikes under the platform.)

wallmountit2.jpg

Costs about £70 ish

I am Fairly Flexible but the WAF is looking pretty low on a seperate shelf, would a dedicated stand be better, or alternatively I have a Glass sheet I could put on top and place some foam or 1/2 squash balls in between would that help much?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
pwiles1968:
I am Fairly Flexible but the WAF is looking pretty low on a seperate shelf, would a dedicated stand be better, or alternatively I have a Glass sheet I could put on top and place some foam or 1/2 squash balls in between would that help much?

Normally such wall mounts are obscured by a nice looking turntable. Your turntable, despite looking nice, is very skeletal so the wall mount looks would dominate.

An Ikea 'Lack' table (About £5 - £8 depending on finish) could be ideal if kept well out of the firing line of those speakers. (You can probably get one in red to match.) You could put Target spikes in the legs to isolate it and level it.

64054_PE172512_S3.jpg

Foam and squash balls and other such 'sprung' layers will just serve to store unwanted energy and make it all wobbly.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Double eek! Blimey pwilesy (try saying that after a few drinks) your speakers even closer to your deck than mine is! Thankfully, I can move mine to a better position when I have a good listening session. Anyway, I didn`t actually call to say that but rather to say that your new turntable looks great and I hope you enjoy listening to it. Looks like a nice shiny piece of vinyl currently sitting on it.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
survivor: Looks like a nice shiny piece of vinyl currently sitting on it.

The Platters (16 original Recordings) as far as I can tell pressed in the late 70's, Parents brought their old stuff round and I put it on because I knew dad liked it, not sure what quality is like it was a little lower that normal listening volume
emotion-5.gif

Need to look at moving stuff round a little but am limited with space on that wall, the 805's are pretty rigid but they are spiked to the floor right next to the cabinet so I am getting some vibration on the cabinet.

hifi3600.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
pwiles1968:

survivor: Looks like a nice shiny piece of vinyl currently sitting on it.

The Platters (16 original Recordings) as far as I can tell pressed in the late 70's, Parents brought their old stuff round and I put it on because I knew dad liked it, not sure what quality is like it was a little lower that normal listening volume
emotion-5.gif

Ah, I have a copy of that. Should`ve recognised it!

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
vinod_david:wow. beautiful home. your hifi setup doesn't dominate your living room at all, considering those B&W's. so warm and nice your room.

Why thank you, It is a nice system unfortunately have come a little un-stuck with proximity of the right speaker to the new turn table, My wife is still complaining about my rear speakers though. I moved My old front speakers to rear duties when I got the 805's, she is particularly unhappy with the position of this one-

hifi5.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi, You might try looking on a well known auction site for a Michell Turntable Unicover. This simply covers platter and curves up over arm. This may suffice.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pwiles1968:
vinod_david:wow. beautiful home. your hifi setup doesn't dominate your living room at all, considering those B&W's. so warm and nice your room.

Why thank you, It is a nice system unfortunately have come a little un-stuck with proximity of the right speaker to the new turn table, My wife is still complaining about my rear speakers though. I moved My old front speakers to rear duties when I got the 805's, she is particularly unhappy with the position of this one-

hifi5.jpg

There's a simple answer to that one...

Whilst researching vintage hi-fi I came across a few websites with vintage speakers, some of which are basically pieces of furniture that happen to pump out sound. You just need to suggest replacing teh rears with a pair of these - only when she appreciates how big these things are will she likely yield to the benefits of modern diminutive speakers....
emotion-4.gif

Good site for vintage speakers here - http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Speakers.htm - some of 'em are MONSTERS!!!

TRENDING THREADS