Laptop to Amp Cabling - My options?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ11S - no optical out port, only headphone. What would be the best cabling to connect from laptop to amp - is the 3.5 jack to phono cable the only option? And if so, which would be the best one...

Been told that the speaker cabling (QED Silver Anniversary) between the MA RS8s and Arcam Diva 85 might give a sound which is a bit bright / harsh, so its important I get the interconnects bit sorted..... whether that's true or not I don't know, but I trust the source.

DAC is out of the question for another few months so please no suggestions for one of them :)

John Duncan

I have a Sony Vaio, which when plugged into the mains is the worst audio source I've heard - primarily because the power supply introduces so much noise and interference that's it's almost unusable. So unless you want to play music for an hour at a time on the vaio's mediocre battery, I'd get an Airport Express so that the sound is taken off-board.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the replies - can't really afford to spend money on airport express right now. Would getting a DAC bypass the Sony Vaio plugged in problem?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:It should help, yes, but can't guarantee it - I don't think I've tried my DACMagic on USB to confirm. If I get the chance tonight, I'll give it a go.

Would appreciate it if you could do mate - have no plans to get a new computer anytime soon and the Vaio dies in about 10 minutes without the power lead - shocking.

A

Anonymous

I bought a Behringer U-Control UCA202 (an external soundcard) that improves the sound from my Dell. The UCA202 has its own Burr Brown DAC chip and replaces the laptop DAC. The UCA202 also has an optical out socket so it can plug into an external DAC. (It's an interim measure for me at the moment until I get DAC: it also widens my options I believe and allows me to get a non-USB DAC). At about £30 delivered it might be worth a punt...

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The clue is in your signature.

You need to stream your music over your network to your PS3 via DLNA. Foobar2000 has a simple, free plugin which will achieve this for you. I can provide more details if you're interested.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:The clue is in your signature.You need to stream your music over your network to your PS3 via DLNA. Foobar2000 has a simple, free plugin which will achieve this for you. I can provide more details if you're interested.

Seems a bit complicated to me - and I'd have to switch on the PS3 everytime I wanted to play music?

No worries John, let me know the result if you get a chance to test it. DAC is my preferred option right now because I just want to be able to play music with a single click from the laptop.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Must admit I didn't notice that bit, and it would be a very good place to start (the PS3 that is). Sorry, haven't tried anything myself tonight as the outlaws have been round...

Hi mate, had a chance to test this out yet?

Oh John also, with your PSU from the Vaio.. is it like this http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:mexPSehSOPIHBM:http://www.buypcbits.co.uk/images/clover_leaf_c5.jpg

or 2 pong?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
APatel8:
PJPro:The clue is in your signature.You need to stream your music over your network to your PS3 via DLNA. Foobar2000 has a simple, free plugin which will achieve this for you. I can provide more details if you're interested.

Seems a bit complicated to me - and I'd have to switch on the PS3 everytime I wanted to play music?

OK.

TRENDING THREADS