Kuro Killers on the Horizon???

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Having read a review of one of Panasonic's ST50 plasmas -- for anyone unfamiliar with Panasonic model numbers, the ST models sit below the GT and VT -- 2012 could be the year the Kuro is finally dethroned in every regard.

I can't post a link to the review, but it's worth having a quick browse on what are probably already familiar videophile websites. Better black levels than all 2011 plasmas and significantly better motion resolution (including 50Hz material) were among the improvements reported.

I'd promised myself I wouldn't replace my V20 plasma for five years, but I'm itching to find out what the GT and VT models are capable of.

WHF team, any idea when you'll get 2012 Pana plasmas in for review?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
As luck would have it, we'll be publishing an extended, exclusive review of the new Panasonic TX-P50GT50 here on the website tomorrow. :cheer:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the thorough GT50 review! So when you say "the best just got better," does this mean you consider the GT50 to be the best television you've ever reviewed?

What really struck me when reading the ST50 review elsewhere was that measured black level was bettered only by the last generation Kuro, and then by only the smallest of margins; which of course bodes well for higher-end 2012 Panasonic plasmas.

Of course black level isn't the only important aspect of picture performance, but the Kuro has arguably already been beaten by newer televisions in terms of levels of detail dragged up, and of course the latest televisions beat the Kuro in terms of features.

In short, has the Kuro finally been bettered in every regard?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Kuro is several years old now and yes, in our opinion, the GT50 is better overall. For sure, the Kuro was legendary for its deep blacks, but the new Pana GT50 has equally good black depth and more detail, plus better motion handling.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Andy.

I appreciate that the Kuro is several years old now, but that hasn't prevented other review sites from claiming that the Kuro was still champion in certain regards (we can become too obsessed with minor differences in black level measurements).

Perhaps the most important improvement with 2012 Pana plasmas -- at least it sounds this way -- is their motion handling, which has been something of an Achilles' heel in the past. There's no mention of floating blacks or luminance shifts in the WHF review, either. Hopefully these issues have been adequately addressed on 2012 Panasonic plasmas.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure someone at WHF said that Panasonic employs most of the ex-KURO team. I'm hoping that they have solved the issue I have with my P42V20B - its buzzing sound!!!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
busb said:
I'm sure someone at WHF said that Panasonic employs most of the ex-KURO team. I'm hoping that they have solved the issue I have with my P42V20B - its buzzing sound!!!

I have the same TV, and yes, they do buzz a bit. I had a problem with my V20 making a high pitched whine. It wasn't particuarly loud, but it was still distracting and a little uncomfortable on the eardrums. This sorted itself out after a couple of weeks (or I lost the ability to hear that particular frequency).

One thing that helped with this, and has minimised any buzzing long term, is to switch the power save option on. This doesn't seem to alter picture in any way, but it does reduce buzzing, at least in my experience. If you haven't tried this already, it's worth a shot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts