KR Audio Electronics

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I have been today to a small hi-fi exposition in Brussels and saw some staff I didn't know before (normal since it's only 3 months I am into hi-fi passion). Not thrilling amplifiers to be honest, just one tube amp which got my attention, an KR Audio Electronics, the VA 900 to be exact. Anyone heard of it? It is around 6k eur...

One think I realized is that I really like tube amp sound...very interesting months ahead...any other idea on tube amps which I should not miss?

In terms of speakers, no well known brands there a part from monitor audio (Nice the GX300), the ones which impressed me the most where Audio Physic Scorpio 25, 5k euro for a pair, anyone has experience on those?

Thanks!

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
Hello everybody,

I have been today to a small hi-fi exposition in Brussels and saw some staff I didn't know before (normal since it's only 3 months I am into hi-fi passion). Not thrilling amplifiers to be honest, just one tube amp which got my attention, an KR Audio Electronics, the VA 900 to be exact. Anyone heard of it? It is around 6k eur...

KR Audio are particularly known for manufacturing Single Ended Triode (SET) tube amps. they invented a special power tube (KRT) that allows to yield much more power from tube SET amp than otherwise possible (2*50W). even their 300B triode power tubes are outstanding (2*30W is a lot for a 300B SET). they only make hybrid amps, but unlike most manufacturers of hybrids (for instance Pathos), they use tubes in output stage, not in input stage. input is Mosfet.

the amp you heard is a Push Pull (PP) amp. but I would be more interested to hear their SET class A amps. which use no feedback BTW :).

if you can get past the looks of those amps you should be more than happy. there are some favourable opinions around on the internet.

as for your observetions; I concur! most audio equipment suck. but you will not know it until you get to hear the good ones.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tube amps that are worth putting on your list are from Unison Research, Icon Audio and Pure Sound.

I've heard small Audio Physics (Hi End Line I think) with a Bel Canto amp and CDP. Fine musical sound, if a little unexciting.

Don't get too distracted until you have done your initial trials. SET amps sound sublime, but need very efficient speakers ie. Audio Note.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
AP have some fans/respect on another UK forum, not many dealers over here though. There's a guy near me who was selling his AP Yara's, must try to make the effort and have a listen sometime.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
One think I realized is that I really like tube amp sound...very interesting months ahead...any other idea on tube amps which I should not miss?

In terms of speakers .... 5k euro for a pair, anyone has experience on those?

Very interesting ... and very expensive few months ahead! ;) ... pray you win the lottery soon :pray:

Interesting you mention your liking for the "valve sound". This is on my hifi to do list ... but I would like to audition a basic valve pre-amp feeding into my existing amp to see if I feel any empathy with the sound first before embarking on such a route.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Tube amps that are worth putting on your list are from Unison Research, Icon Audio and Pure Sound. I've heard small Audio Physics (Hi End Line I think) with a Bel Canto amp and CDP. Fine musical sound, if a little unexciting. Don't get too distracted until you have done your initial trials. SET amps sound sublime, but need very efficient speakers ie. Audio Note.

Cno, thanks a lot for your reply! And thanks for your advice on tube amps. I just went to this exposition since it was in Brussels and didn't got superexcited by any of the, to be hones. Amongts those the tube amp was the best sounding to my ears! Also do not understand when dealer put together not so expensive gear (like 600 eur cd player, 290 eur DAC and 1400 eur ampli) connected together with 10k eur interconnects and speaker cable!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
paradiziac said:
AP have some fans/respect on another UK forum, not many dealers over here though. There's a guy near me who was selling his AP Yara's, must try to make the effort and have a listen sometime.

I think Yara it's their entry level speaker...there was an High end model there (the Scorpio 25) and a reference model much more expensive. The reference model was biamped to a system which was probably about 40k eur...didn't like the sound, too thin in my opinion. It was a Spectral Audio system with two power amps DMA 200S + preamplifier + Hydra Triton + CDP SDR 4000SL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts