Knosti Disco Antistat Residual Crud

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I've used the above for a few years and have noticed that there is always a residue left on vinyl. Recently this has clogged my stylus to the extent that I have been unable to get it clean and have ordered an Ortofon Stylus brush hoping that it will do the trick.

From reading matthewpiano's thread about the Ortofon Stylus brush, it seems other people have experienced this crud and I wondered how they clean it off without damaging the stylus and also whether an extra rinse in deionised water or similar as suggested by kusum65 would help?

The residue has always been there whether using Knosti's own fluid or my own brew, which is 75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl and a splash of rinse aid to help get the record dry.

John Duncan

The one detriment of the Knosti is the fact that the record is floating around in its own scum, much like the difference between a bath and a shower. Nothing wrong with a final wash, though be careful of the label, and I'd add the rinse aid to the water just to make sure it flows off totally.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks JD, have you tried the 2nd rinse yourself? I mean on vinyl
emotion-2.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'm new to this vinyl game, but I've been doing a lot of looking into the Disco Antistat cleaner, and this forum isn't the only place finding that they are causing major gunking up of stylus.

I found THIS online, and it's the method i'm going to use for cleaning vinyl. Save myself £50, by not buying the AntiStat, too.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
DistortedVision:Buy a record cleaning machine instead like the Cadence Okki Nokki and use L'Art du Son cleaning fluid.

Thanks for the suggestion, but cost wise it's not really viable as I've got 600+ Lp's and singles and they have already been cleaned and I can't justify the cost or time of another record cleaning purchase and recleaning every thing, with the associated cost of additional fluid.

The Knosti is a good machine when you weigh up its cost, but my main concern was to avoid the crud and was looking for suggestions such as JD's above regarding a second wash in distilled water and the successes or otherwise of this approach or other alternatives without spending hundreds of £'s.The l'art du son is a good idea, but the okki nokki would not earn my wife's approval.....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I swear by my Knosti, but I found that after mixing my own cleaning
fluid using rinse aid (Ecover), this left a visible residue on the vinyl, and gunked up my stylus (which I gently clean with an old toothbrush head!).

I now use Ilfotel wetting agent, available from camera shops, and get no residue on the vinyl and no needle gunk.

I also filter the fluid thoroughly after every batch of records, and replace it frequently.

My other ingredients are deionised water and isopropyl which I buy in bulk from CPC. Both the water and the isopropyl are available in different grades of 'purity', which may also be a factor in your needle gunk experience.

deanms

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I'm having issues through playing vinyl at the moment (it has just occured). Basically one speaker sound is louder than the other. I've tried a number of things ie swapping cables, input sockers, re-setting the arm tracking etc but to no avail. It may therefore be the stylus due to build up of 'gunk' through using the anti-stat cleaner. Have you experienced this or am I at a loss again (I do clean the stylus after plays with a clear-audio liquid regularly which is why I dismissed this reason early on).

Thanks

deanms.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
deanms:Hi, I'm having issues through playing vinyl at the moment (it has just occured). Basically one speaker sound is louder than the other. I've tried a number of things ie swapping cables, input sockers, re-setting the arm tracking etc but to no avail. It may therefore be the stylus due to build up of 'gunk' through using the anti-stat cleaner. Have you experienced this or am I at a loss again (I do clean the stylus after plays with a clear-audio liquid regularly which is why I dismissed this reason early on).

Thanks

deanms.

I'm taking it that you made sure the balance on the amp is set right (I only say that 'cos it's the type of thing I would easily miss). And that it's the same on all your records. Do you just need a new stylus (i.e played a lot of records)?

I had a problem with a debut 2 that gave up sound on one channel 'cos the arm needed rewiring.

deanms

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
The arm and cartridge are less than 6 months old so it's not due to usage.

Tha balance on the amps is fine. I'm just getting one speaker volume at a 'normal' level and one providing a much lower level, but still providing it.

I'm now looking into the stylus and potentially it is a build up of muck etc which could be causing this. Failing this, I'll take the deck back and get it checked over.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts