Klipsch Forte 3.... oh yeah!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Valve amp + miniDSP + wallnut wood veneer over the plywood + Kenrick style stands .... blue baffle.

I sent him a message

You sir, are crazier than I.

I'd even think if one should veneer or simply color the baffle in JBL studio monitor blue (#6496E6) and nothing else. (the cabs are immaculate)

JBL_4345_00.jpg

!Bvp3qiwCGk~$(KGrHqR,!hgEv1+0FNgDBMF,SynNpg~~_12.JPG

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thin bass might be a bit subjective as most Americans like massive amounts of bass. Think crappy old cars with four 15 inch subs and 20 kW amps using half the engine's horsepower and shaking car to pieces at the traffic lights.

Generally and historically though, the Klipsch horns were meant to be the mid and high end of a setup partnered with big bass drivers. If your HT setup has subs and you're chaining in a "proper stereo" for, erm, "proper stereo" duties, they may work well.

And my movie room is 12'6" x 19'0". Not exactly a village hall...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Klipsch Heresy II going in hours for 900, still no bids. Gorgeous vintage old oak whiskey barels look.

Klipsch Heresy III NEW going for 1400 with free delivery, ugly in black ash.

Klipsch KG4.5 for 350, black ash.

Chance to try vintage west coast sound for cheap.

Heresy same sound as Forte but slightly less bass. In a bassy room might sound good. Looks wise the Heresy wins IMO by a mile. They look great as low riders with rustic furniture. http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Klipsch-Heresy-III-Special-Edition-Speakers-East-Indian-Rosewood​

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
There's an expired ad @ https://www.avforums.com/threads/final-reduction-klipsch-heresy-ii-pair-in-natural-oak.2025174/

I hear they are still available ... they're mine! *biggrin*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Klipsch Heresy II going in hours for 900, still no bids. Gorgeous vintage old oak whiskey barels look. 

Klipsch Heresy III NEW going for 1400 with free delivery, ugly in black ash.

Klipsch KG4.5 for 350, black ash. 

Chance to try vintage west coast sound for cheap. 

Heresy same sound as Forte but slightly less bass. In a bassy room might sound good. Looks wise the Heresy wins IMO by a mile. They look great as low riders with rustic furniture. http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Klipsch-Heresy-III-Special-Edition-Speakers-East-Indian-Rosewood​
They look good

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
tino said:
There's an expired ad @ https://www.avforums.com/threads/final-reduction-klipsch-heresy-ii-pair-in-natural-oak.2025174/

I hear they are still available ... they're mine! *biggrin*
If you are not having them i may buy them
Pass my detail

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Loft DJ David Mancuso and associates talk about using Klipsch for NYC parties. Clicky

Begining of the video is about his audiophile turntable setup.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Loft DJ David Mancuso and associates talk about using Klipsch for NYC parties. Clicky 

Ive decided its best to have a couple of sets of speakers now. Those ones on ebay would be nice to try. I really like horns and compression drivers. Large bass drivers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Ive decided its best to have a couple of sets of speakers now. Those ones on ebay would be nice to try. I really like horns and compression drivers. Large bass drivers

Those Heresy II's in white oak really look good, with those grills especially. Prop them up at the front with something like a Robert Sapolsky hardcover version of Behave and you'd be the coolest man in the northern hemisphere.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
tino said:
Andrewjvt said:
If you are not having them i may buy them

Slight misunderstanding ... I'm not after buying them ... those are actually my Heresy II's that I am selling. Fab condition in natural oak.

Would they sit on top of my Partington broadside stands?
Can you demo them to me to listen?
I may be interested in them.

Lindsay: what do you think of these?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
When I heard tonyl's (pfm owner) Klipsch Heresys back to back with his classic Tannoy DC's with my 300b SET amp I personally prefered the Heresys, but could understand someone else prefering the Tannoys. The Heresys had a more wide open midrange and treble with better bite and clarity than the Tannoys. They sounded great with a 1962 jazz lp that Tony played. However with Blondie's Denise on 12" single they sounded uninvolving due to too much leannness in the bass.

With a full amount of room bass reinforcement the Heresys might be fine for someone not wanting large speakers. Also might be fine with 1 or 2 good quality, properly integrated subs.

In the context of comparing them against slimline ported direct radiators there's something to be said for Heresys.

In the context of high efficiency speakers I'd go along with what Tom Brennan wrote about them in the 2000's: https://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?searchtext=heresy&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=tom+brennan&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=hug

Including phrases like "The best placement for a Heresy[/b] is in a dumpster" which is a bit harsh but I understand where he's coming from.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Are these Heresy II's good option for someone's first buy of efficient speaker with compression driver mids and highs (for 600 quid)?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It depends.

Depends how important WAF is to them.

Depends what other deals on high eficiency speakers are available to them, eg Altec Boleros (check out Tom Brennans multiple post on Audio Asylum from the 2000's)

Depends what sort of room bass reinforcement they'd be getting.

Depends on whether they have 1 or 2 good subs that would integrate well with them.

Depends what music they listen to mainly.

Depends if they can DIY - even if it's just simple speaker repairs

Depends on their tastes when it comes to sound from a hi-fi system. What they value most when it comes to sound quality.

Depends if they're a "buy right, buy once" kind of guy.

Speakers are a highly personal choice.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
My advice, above all is that Andrew should buy the speakers that he wants to buy.

My highly personal opinion is that for him the better buy out of Heresy II's and KG 4.5's would be these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-890C-Bolero-Speakers-/192218798794?hash=item2cc1221aca:g:wWUAAOSwceNZQzKl or something like these in a DIY cabinet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Altec-Lansing-604-168X-Duplex-Speaker-Drivers-Pair/162607494998?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3De5c180463a184bff95566cba2988cbac%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162607501216

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Would they sit on top of my Partington stands? Can you demo them to me to listen? I may be interested in them.

They are intended to be floor standing, close to a wall, rather than stand mounting. Small riser plinths can be used to angle the speaker slightly upwards and lift them a couple of inches off the floor. Some people even place them on their sides.

Unfortunately at the moment the speakers are boxed away and I would have to do some furniture rearranging, so not really set up to easily demo. Since how they sound to you might need some tweaking and a sub, I can only hook them up if you decide to collect to prove that they are working well and cosmetically excellent.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
For now ill settle for the roland to pacify my urge to buy something.
I move house on 15thand loose my nice sounding room.
I may get atc scm20asl pro or jbl708p
Or i may build wilmslow audio k100
Or i may do all of them. I must stop reading about gear.
My new house may sound dreadful also.
Hifi and tv will be split up also as the lounge is too close to next door and not as large.
I have to try demo the jbl708p and also a large pair of anerican horn speaker i may buy also

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts