Ken Kreisel Quattro Series

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Drew_C said:
jcshutts said:
Thanks DC good to hear....do you mind me asking what you are driving tthe with?

A Denon AVC-A11XVA :)

that will help with the music too. Do you have a source for HD sound? I currently have the yamaha Z9 which is a great amp but looking to add HD codecs to the mix as well.

Drew_C

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
My Denon can accept HD audio via LPCM, so I use a Sony bluray player that decodes HD audio, can't remember the model, its a few years old now though. You should try and get to Coventry for a demo of Ken's new speakers, they really are absolutely superb It didn't take long for me to get my credit card out after a short demo there!

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The lifestyle ones will be interesting...

Some Teaser pics up on Ken facebook page :)

Would love to make it Saturday David but can't get out of work this time will pop over when i get chance to see the Q's

I think Ken's on a bit of a MISSION at the moment.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Seems it is going to be relentless, as I know that isn't all we're going to get coming to these shores from Ken!

It's a shame you can't make it v1c - I tried to pick a non public holiday weekend, non sporting Saturday, and most people still can't make it! Still, it'll be good that it won't be too busy as it'll be the first open day I'll be hosting myself!

couto27

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Im ordering one of the ken kriesel subs DXD 808 next week from HIFIX, my room is also small 5m x 3,5m

Ive check speakers specs for a later upgrade, and the Q85 seems to work has L / C / R but they are being sold has pair, what is used for center speaker with Q85? another single Q85 ?

Can one Q85 unit be sold individually? or the Q125 center will match the Q85?

And what about surround ? the Q125 TriFIX will match the Q85 Left and Q85 Right ? or will se another range of Q85 center and Q85 TriFix surround ?

Ps : the L/R Q85 will be fall apart about 2, 20 m, if they are really good, i doubt i will need any center speaker in sweet spot.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
couto27 said:
Im ordering one of the ken kriesel subs DXD 808 next week from HIFIX, my room is also small 5m x 3,5m

Just give me a call the day before delivery is required - and if you place the order via myself rather than via the website, it will also have some extra protective layers round it in order to make sure it gets to you safe and sound.

Ive check speakers specs for a later upgrade, and the Q85 seems to work has L / C / R but they are being sold has pair, what is used for center speaker with Q85? another single Q85 ?

Can one Q85 unit be sold individually? or the Q125 center will match the Q85?

As the Q85's are only available in pairs from the distributor, I think the intention is still to use the Q125c as a dedicated centre. All the speakers are timbre matched, so mixing and matching isn't an issue. The centre generally has to deal with the majority of the signal, so using the Q125c will have clear advantages over a single Q85.

And what about surround ? the Q125 TriFIX will match the Q85 Left and Q85 Right ? or will se another range of Q85 center and Q85 TriFix surround ?

Again, they're all timbre matched, so you can use the Q125TriFX for a more enveloping surround experience, or the Q125 or Q85 for more precise and direct surround information. As far as I know, the current range of Quattro will be it, although there will be Quattro Slim, which will be the same driver layout but less depth to the cabinet.

Ps : the L/R Q85 will be fall apart about 2, 20 m, if they are really good, i doubt i will need any center speaker in sweet spot.

They do image eexcellently in this respect. When I'm listening to music in stereo, you'd swear blind the centre channel was on. And a few times I have had to check my processor to make sure a surround format hasn't been selected! The only drawback with the no centre approach is that you can't change the volume of the centre channel information in relation to everything else, as it doesn't exist. Some action movies can sometimes swamp dialogue with effects if they're not mastered to a particularly high standard, and some movies do have very quiet dialogue in some scenes, like Se7en, No Country For Old Men, and Zodiac. Obviously you can start with no centre and see how you get on.

couto27

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply @david email sent

i also contact kk email support and they happily anwser to all my questions in timely manner and good recommendations

regards

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi David. I'm still knee deep in building! Any news on the next range of KK yet and what is the latest on the pre pro you alluded to recently??

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jcshutts said:
Hi David. I'm still knee deep in building! Any news on the next range of KK yet and what is the latest on the pre pro you alluded to recently??

Nothing other than what he has already released via the likes of Facebook.

The details of the pre/power can be revealed at the end of this month after their product launch at their HO. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend, but I should have details as soon as it happens.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Time to resurrect this thread.

Spoke to Ken via email yesterday and the Quattro series will not be around much longer (Limited editions). The new speakers on his facebook page are coming in the next few months. That is from the man himself

Drew_C

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
So, who is correct here, the manufacturer or the distributor? :?

Copied from another forum.

Just an update for you guys about a rumor that was posted on AVForums yesterday and I thought I would update you, Ken has given me permission to use this email
smile.gif

Is there a Limited Edition version that is possibly being phased out?

Someone emailed me yesterday asking if they should buy the 7.1 QUATTRO system and here is exactly what I emailed him about the QUATTRO Q125’s:

“You might know that all the QUATTRO Q125 models in wood cabinets are special limited edition versions so if you are interested in buying some you might not want to wait too long. Russell can give you more information about availability of the models you want as it sounds like you will not be ready to buy speakers for several months. The Q125 SL’s (SLIM’s) will be in aluminum extrusion cabinets which are a little smaller.”

I never said a new range is imminent unless they are referring to the Q125 aluminum extrusion cabinets or the studio dubbing stage multi-tweeter monitors seen on my Facebook page which is not a secret.

In reading what I wrote above, I realized I should have said HIGH GLOSS BLACK WOOD CABINETS instead of just wood cabinets. The current high gloss black wood cabinets were a special limited edition run. The next run of Q125 (LCR’s, TFX’s, QFH-Height’s, QMC-Multichannel) wood cabinets will be in a satin gloss finish with an option of grille finishes of high gloss, satin, and cloth over mesh grilles. The new aluminum extrusion Q125’s will be available in high gloss black as well as a variety of other finishes and colors including satin and matt finishes including white.

KEN

So hope that clears any confusion for anyone thinking about that question!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Indeed my email to ken and his response to me.

I was talking about the wood cabinet and he was referring to the aluminum version.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes I subscribed to the Mag for that very reason! :)

It was a brilliant review. I just need Russell to give me a call and organise a demo. They are trying to convince me that a 11.4 setup is needed in my room, cant say i'm resisting that much at this point :rofl:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd need to see your room, but 5.1 has worked amazingly well in our 5m x 5m room for many years. We only moved up to 7.1 during last year, not that we needed to, just because we could. I can't say it has vastly improved the system, but the system would sound just as impressive if it was still 5.1. I myself moved from 7.1 to 5.1 a few years ago as the while the room didn't necessarily warrant it, I couldn't place the surround back speakers along a similar line to the front and sides. Plus, I never really liked the effect playing back 5.1 material in 7.1 - it 'changed' the sound, which I didn't like. Then it came to light last year that most processors drop quality when playing back 5.1 in 7.1 mode.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty upsetting. So until 7.1 becomes a standard in films and not 5.1, we are better of waiting.

I had no idea that processors were downgrading the sound. I guess it makes sense, if it has to disperse 2 channels of sound into 4 speakers at the back then perhaps it lowers the quality.

Nice one on that David!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
That's pretty upsetting. So until 7.1 becomes a standard in films and not 5.1, we are better of waiting.

I had no idea that processors were downgrading the sound. I guess it makes sense, if it has to disperse 2 channels of sound into 4 speakers at the back then perhaps it lowers the quality.

I don't know how widespread that is, and it may well not be all receivers/processors, but it ties in with my findings when watching films in 7.1

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think its worth investigating, the top contenders being the Arcam, Pioneer and Yamaha (mid range)

Would you say you have experienced this with the high end recievers? Would the introduction of power amps have helped?

TRENDING THREADS