Ken Kreisel Quattro Series

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not something I have had experience of with higher end stuff, as we have only had 5.1 set up for many years, as it was enough for the main demo room. Anyone can try it if they have a 7.1 system - if they switch to 5.1 in their set up menu, and the front speakers 'change' in sound, then it may well be that their processor/AV receiver does it. Basically it drops HD audio down to core, which is still better than DVD, but it'd be like watching 720p on a 4K screen.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
About to pull the trigger on a full 5.1 set of these! ;)

So far still undecided on what subwoofer and surround model to pick though.

Nevertheless, I'm insanely excited :p

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Good choice, did you demo any other speakers around this price range?

As for subs, the DXD is a good sub by KK or you could look at JL Audio which is what I will be going for myself :) All depends on your budget there.

You may need a seperate thread :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
duaplex said:

As for subs, the DXD is a good sub by KK or you could look at JL Audio which is what I will be going for myself :) All depends on your budget there.

Thanks, duaplex, somehow I'm confident this'll be a good choice! :grin:

I actually haven't demoed any speakers since I got Apex three years ago. The last system I did demo was M&K Sound 950 THX that impressed me for numerous reasons. Naturally KK Quattro have things in common with that system, some have claimed it also betters it. Reason I now choose KK Quattro is part aesthetics part (reported) musical abilities.

Just looked up the JL Audio subs on Google and they look pretty kick ass! I'm choosing between the DXD-808 or 12012 right now. Basically I have budget for either two DXD-808 or one 12012 so the choice isn't all too easy.

In all likelyhood I will create a separate thread soon ;)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
duaplex said:

I think he's deciding between DXD-12012 and DXD-808, that's how I read it.

Indeed I am... decisions, decisions... ;)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, David. So I've heard from others too. I'm having a difficult time choosing the a duo DXD-808 or a single DXD-12012 atm.

May I ask what combination of Quattro you use yourself and what electronics do you drive yours with?

RickyDeg said:
duaplex said:

Thanks, duaplex, somehow I'm confident this'll be a good choice! :grin:

I actually haven't demoed any speakers since I got Apex three years ago. The last system I did demo was M&K Sound 950 THX that impressed me for numerous reasons. Naturally KK Quattro have things in common with that system, some have claimed it also betters it. Reason I now choose KK Quattro is part aesthetics part (reported) musical abilities.

Just looked up the JL Audio subs on Google and they look pretty kick ass! I'm choosing between the DXD-808 or 12012 right now. Basically I have budget for either two DXD-808 or one 12012 so the choice isn't all too easy.

In all likelyhood I will create a separate thread soon ;)

Hi RickyDeg

JL Audio's subs do seriously kick ass. Yesterday I watched the storm scene from All Is Lost using a Fathom f212 and a pair of E-112 stacked and the tight, punchy, fast, slam and the sheer weight of the bass was frightening to listen to :twisted: Fantastic :)

Also consider two E-110 or a single E-112.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick! :wave:

That does sound awesome! Where was my invite? :? lol ;) I will most def go for one (or two) of the KK subs though, as I'm gonna match the entire system (aesthetically, and in every other regard).

Will report back when my system is in place.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Thank you, David. So I've heard from others too. I'm having a difficult time choosing the a duo DXD-808 or a single DXD-12012 atm.
You'll find that a single DXD12012 will sound a little deeper than two DXD808s and have a little more scale, but it is surprising how punchy and tight a pair of 808s are. The good thing about the 808s are their tiny footprint, and regardless of whether you use one, two, three or four stacked (huge benefits), the footprint stays the same. The good thing about the 12012 is that a second brings far greater benefits than a second 808 (obviously), and because you start with one, you can take the easy upgrade path further (and you don't waste money selling old subs on), if you know what I mean. If you want depth, the 12012s are the way to go. If you want to sacrifice that a little and gain punch, the 808s will be the way to go - although adding 808s will increase low frequency output. You can have a listen and choose for yourself, but either way will be seriously impressive. The subs are just as fast as the speakers, and serve as a true extention of them, which isn't something all sub manufacturers can claim/achieve.

May I ask what combination of Quattro you use yourself and what electronics do you drive yours with?
I have the Q125s across the front and a pair of TriFX at the sides, with two DXD12012s. I'm using a Rotel RMB1575 power amp, which into the Quattros gives me about 500wpc - not that I ever use that much power! Nice to have plenty of headroom though :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi RickyDeg

No invites for you now :grin:

Anyway fair enough and just as with the Apex sub/sats i hope that you the performance of the KK speakers for many years to come.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm hoping so too. Apex kept me happy for 3 years. Thought I'd be satisfied longer than that before switching but getting into separates recently gave me the upgrade bug :p

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
You'll find that a single DXD12012 will sound a little deeper than two DXD808s and have a little more scale, but it is surprising how punchy and tight a pair of 808s are. The good thing about the 808s are their tiny footprint, and regardless of whether you use one, two, three or four stacked (huge benefits), the footprint stays the same. The good thing about the 12012 is that a second brings far greater benefits than a second 808 (obviously), and because you start with one, you can take the easy upgrade path further (and you don't waste money selling old subs on), if you know what I mean. If you want depth, the 12012s are the way to go. If you want to sacrifice that a little and gain punch, the 808s will be the way to go - although adding 808s will increase low frequency output. You can have a listen and choose for yourself, but either way will be seriously impressive. The subs are just as fast as the speakers, and serve as a true extention of them, which isn't something all sub manufacturers can claim/achieve.

I have the Q125s across the front and a pair of TriFX at the sides, with two DXD12012s. I'm using a Rotel RMB1575 power amp, which into the Quattros gives me about 500wpc - not that I ever use that much power! Nice to have plenty of headroom though :)

Thank you for the input about the subwoofers! Much appreciated! Here's to hoping both models will be made availabul by KK for a long period of time as owners would hate starting off with either with intentions of expanding to a duo or quattro set-up only to have them be discontinued (which happens).

I'll report back on which one I choose :dance:

Cool you have the Rotel RMB1575 power amp! I actually auditioned that one alongside my current NuForce MCH-300SEC7 (with Apex). I found it very powerful but the NuForce happened to add a rich smoothness to the overall sound which I prefered, as to why I picked it. But seriously - 500wpc with the Rotel, that's some headroom alright! With the NuForce I would get around 335wpc with the Quattros. Not bad either, I reckon. BTW - I know you had your eyes on Primare A30.7 at one point too right? What happened? I never listened to that one but have heard favourable things.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Thank you for the input about the subwoofers! Much appreciated! Here's to hoping both models will be made availabul by KK for a long period of time as owners would hate starting off with either with intentions of expanding to a duo or quattro set-up only to have them be discontinued (which happens).
They won't be changing for a while - Ken's not in the habit of changing things unless there are major improvements, and they're designed well enough in the first place to stand up to the competition for quite some time.

Cool you have the Rotel RMB1575 power amp! I actually auditioned that one alongside my current NuForce MCH-300SEC7 (with Apex). I found it very powerful but the NuForce happened to add a rich smoothness to the overall sound which I prefered, as to why I picked it. But seriously - 500wpc with the Rotel, that's some headroom alright! With the NuForce I would get around 335wpc with the Quattros. Not bad either, I reckon. BTW - I know you had your eyes on Primare A30.7 at one point too right? What happened? I never listened to that one but have heard favourable things.
I like a clean, open and airy high end (oo-er), and the Rotel provides me with that. Whilst I don't like 'harsh', I don't like something that is too smooth or laid back, and from what you say, the Nuforce power amp wouldn't be for me. Even though the Primare power amplifier is less powerful on paper, it's just a better quality amp full stop, something which I will change to at some point unless something juicy crops up in the meantime. I don't need to change at the moment as I'm quite happy with the Rotel as it's doing a sterling job.

RickyDeg said:
I'm hoping so too. Apex kept me happy for 3 years. Thought I'd be satisfied longer than that before switching but getting into separates recently gave me the upgrade bug :p

Hi RickyDeg

Hopefully you're not on the upgrade bug again sooner then you'd want
smiley-wink.gif
:grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I like a clean, open and airy high end (oo-er), and the Rotel provides me with that. Whilst I don't like 'harsh', I don't like something that is too smooth or laid back, and from what you say, the Nuforce power amp wouldn't be for me. Even though the Primare power amplifier is less powerful on paper, it's just a better quality amp full stop, something which I will change to at some point unless something juicy crops up in the meantime. I don't need to change at the moment as I'm quite happy with the Rotel as it's doing a sterling job.

Awesome you like the Rotel. It seems to drive the Quattro's well for you. We may have similar taste in amps... the NuForce isn't "too smooth" or "laid back" at all actually. I find it to be one of the most well-balanced power amps I've experienced yet. When I compared the Rotel (incl a few others) to the NuForce the latter had a tad richer, more refined and smoother overall character alongside that clean, open and airy extension you mention. It does have a touch of pleasing warmth, but it doesn't "embed" the sound. Aside from that I found the soundstage more generous also.

Had you had a chance to experience the MCH-300SEC7 you may have appreciated it's virtues. With Apex I found the Rotel a tad 'stale' and 'cold' in comparison, but I wouldn't say harsh. I believe some of the refinement may be thanks to this particular NuForce model being a 'Special Edition' verison with finer components and internal cabling compared to the standard range (now discontinued sadly). But at more than twice the asking price of the Rotel it had to deliver big time. Hope more of it's virtues will be exposed with KK Quattro in place. Can't wait to hook em up! Still... I must admit I wouldn't mind hearing the Primare even more after your feedback. Hope you get it at some point. It's gorgeous too!

How would you rate the Quattro speakers for music and movies, David? Do you personally find them equally adapt at both? Which would be a rare thing if so, admittedly, right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts