Kef Sub just died

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Needing a bit of advice please. My Kef sub from my 2005.2 system has just died. It sounds like a machine gun when it is on! Is it worth attempting to get it fixed or is that a lost cause and I need to look at a new sub? If a new sub is the way forward are there any recommendations out there?

Thanks

Kev 

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
EDITED BY MODS for house rules violation

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/146285.aspx

EDITED BY MODS for house rules violation

All the above links relate to problems with the same KEF sub. Possibly the same problem. did you leave yours on standby?
Did it die after a session of hard use or quietly in the night?
Get in touch with KEF and see how much they'd charge for a new plate amp.
Before sending it back try to ensure that the drive unit itself is working OK. Push the cone back by hand to feel for rubbing indicating a non centred driver and try to feed it a quiet LFE signal if you have a spare power amp channel you can use.
It's a toughie as you might be able to pick something up 2nd hand for the same sort of money as a replaccement amp.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
emotion-21.gif
These are very good indeed, great value for money and they rock. http://www.bkelec.com/

A

Anonymous

My KEF sub from my 2005.1 set died a couple of years ago. I took it to KEF in maidstone and for £50 they swapped out the amp which had died for a new one, while I waited. Helps if you life nearby obviously, but shows they not only can help, but don't rip you off for doing so. Rather impressed.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:My KEF sub from my 2005.1 set died a couple of years ago. I took it to KEF in maidstone and for £50 they swapped out the amp which had died for a new one, while I waited. Helps if you life nearby obviously, but shows they not only can help, but don't rip you off for doing so. Rather impressed.

I think this amp failure is a 'known problem', affecting a number of these subs. Yours is not the first one I've encountered to have died like this and be revived with a relatively inexpensive amp module swap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts