Kef & Rotel Budget Combo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently building a hi-fi, so far I've managed to source Kef iQ3 standmounts and my next piece of kit is the Rotel RA-05. They don't import the RA-04 in South Africa but I think the former is a good buy, however, I'm still not sure about what cd player to use with it. I know the natural choice would be the RCD-06, though, I've read good reviews on the Cambridge Audio 640C and the new Marantz CD6001.

Can someone make a recommendation?

And while I'm on the topic, will I be able to connect a subwoofer to the RA-05?

A

Anonymous

Do you mean the marantz 6002? yes, those are the 2 cd players that spring to mind. Not heard them with the rotel though but they would seem the obvious choices.I am sure someone else will have heard that combo and can tell you which sounds best.. As for subwoofer, why? Will you be using your system for home cinema duty?

A

Anonymous

Yes, I meant 6002...

Re: Subwoofer... I want to hear the full spectrum of sound that I hope the system will deliver. I've thought about floorstanders, but I simply don't want the main speakers to dominate the room. Don't you think a subwoofer will integrate into a stereo setup?

A

Anonymous

You could do it but it would be last resort for me.Why add one when you can get speakers that will give you the weight you require? Getting one that integrates well should not be too difficult but might be a bit fiddly and apart from anything its another big chunk of wood to put in your room!

A

Anonymous

Going for bookshelf speakers with a sub is a very good idea. A budget floorstander is never going to be a match for a budget bookshelf of the same or similar price. Bookshelf speakers are easier to build well and avoid difficult issues of cabinet resonances amongst other things. They also tend to sound more balanced, faster and generally better!

By adding a good sub you will dig deeper than most floorstanders. You will be able to tune the sub cut-in frequency, volume and positioning to the room and bookshelf speakers you have. My bookshelf speakers boom in the position I have to place them so I've been able to plug them and get the sub to do more work.

Finally, you'll also have the freedom to turn it up for movies, off for late listening and can have an enormous amount of fun!

Merry Christmas!

TRENDING THREADS