Rotel RA-11 KEF Q300 Macbook Pro

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
HI all.

Just ordered RA-11 and KEF Q300. I'll be primarly using this combo with Macbook Pro as the only source of music. I also must say that this is my first serious hi fi set up. I'm novice to hi fi and setting it up so any help and thoughts on what's the best way to connect the amplifier with ma Mac would be much appreciated
smile.png

I've choose RA-11 because it's got DAC built in and wanted to keep things simple. Now needs some help with connection
smile.png

Many thanks.

As the silence is deafening, I'll *try* to answer you!

I think it might be less easy than you had imagined, because there is not a USB input on the Rotel suitable for hi-res files. There is socket to take an iPod output, but I imagine you want better than that. I can see nothing to suggest it can connect to your MacBook.

I believe that means you need soething like the Musical Fidelity V link 192 to convert the Mac's USB output to a digital stream, and then to the rear digital in socket. Conventional wisdom is that the the signal is bettter handled by coax cable not optical though either will work.

Please don't take my word for it as this isn't the simplest scenario. Hopefully you are buying from a dealer who will help, rather than a mail order warehouse.

Either way. someone else should be along soon.

More here:-

http://www.rotel.com/content/manuals/12series/ra-12_ra-11%20manual.pdf

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
thanks ketan :)

i know that you have tested ra-12.. how would you - or any actual user - rate rotel's built in dac?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
If you don't mind your Macbook being connected directly to your amp, I'd suggest just using an optical digital cable between the two. The optical output from a Macbook, comes from the headphone socket.

The other option, for wireless, would be to get an Apple AEX. They work very well and are a cost effective option.

Overdose said:
The optical output from a Macbook, comes from the headphone socket.

That was the bit I couldn't remember, and rather odd that Rotel doesn't say so in their user manual (they merely talk about a 'player', which is not how I think we usually describe a PC, Mac or netbook!).

Thanks for correcting me - and to Ketan too!

The only snag now is where you put the MacBook and how long a lead you can afford/risk!

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
All you need is one of these -

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/item/206747/1-metre-MaleMale-Toslink-Optical-Audio?ref=gooad&gclid=CL_Y1KfZ_rUCFRDKtAod6R8Aew

Plug it into the earphone socket using the adaptor.

The Macbook Pro will play files at higher bitrates than the AE and by using a different player you can play FLACs etc.

Set it up under the TV, connect to HDMI and you are good to go for video too.
dance.gif

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
thank you..

is theres any difference in SQ when used with optical cable vs AE?

I would imagine not much if any is likely to be noticeable. The benefit of the AEX is to provide wireless streaming to your amp from your Mac. The AEX also has a headphone/optical connector and this can be connected via a 3.5mm jack to optical adapter or an optical cable that uses a 3.5mm jack housing at one end (linked to in the above posts).

You could also connect the AEX via a 3.5mm jack to twin phone cable to your amp, this would bypass the amp DAC so you could try a couple of different connection types.

The main benefit of optical connection is that it provides galvanic isolation and reduces the possibility of ground loop and power supply noise, sound quality would otherwise be unaffected.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
You will need to make sure that you place the Q300s as per the manufacturer's recommendations as they can be sensitive to bad placement, i.e., excessive bass, even though they are front ported. If you have to keep them close to a rear wall or in a corner then you will most probably have to use the foam bungs in the bass port...but try first without and see if you like the sound once they have run in.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Baldrick.. I'll be need to palce them quite close to the wall.. we'll see how it works..

also.. do you have yours bi-wired? will they benefit from this type of installation?

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ipv

I have heard that they benefit from bi-wiring...but I have not tried that. There are various schools of thought on this and as it costs more money to do that I have decided to wait until I need to recable the speakers (currently using QED 79 strand to go effect) and thn perhaps might chance my arm. ;)

What I have tried is to connect the Black to the LOWER Black speaker connector and the Red to the UPPER Red connector rather than connecting both terminals to the lower set of speaker connections. Now, and at the risk of opening up the polemic that occurred in an earlier thread, I found the former way to somewhat improve the sound over the latter or more traditional way of connecting. Not huge but to me noticably. Others have disagreed saying that this improvement is imagined.

I personally would recommend trying it and seeing for yourself and then settling for the apporach that you prefer.

Also, if single wiring them then do make sure that you screw in the Active Link knobs that are KEF approach to the traditional metal bar on bi-wirable speakers. Apparently when they come from the factory it is possible that they are not fully tightened...which can affect the sound. There is no danger of overtightening them as far as I can see.

Hope that helps?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot !

for now I'll keep my single wiring QED Qontour ultra flat as it runs nicely under skirting..

from reading all the posts seems like lot's needs to be done to properly set up 3 components [ as in title] to work together.. [ room set up as well]..

another one is: fill or not to fill stands with sand :)

didn't expect that really.. used mini hi fi before for years but always wanted proper amp and speakers :)

I especially value your opinion Balrdick as you are using RA-11 and Q300, so thanks for your time.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi IPV

No problem. Glad to be able to offer a view.

On the to fill or not to fill the stands. Personally I have not but may try it at some point. From what I have heard it can make a difference (it can increase the base and tighten up the sound generally) but it does depend on the stands, the speakers and why you are doing it. There seems to be a consensus that says that you do not need to more than half fill and that you can over fill so spoiling the sound...but I suppose that you can have fun trying out various different levels of fill.

I am really enjoying the RA-11 / Q300 combination (mainly for playing CDs together with DAB from a tuner). May I also recomemnd QED Performamce Optical or QED Performance Coax if you are looking for digital interconnects...both have WHF 5 start ratings (recent). I use the Optical which I find is excellent and I have heard the COax which also appears to do a find job. IMHO both are worth the money...but of course read up, look around and take other advice as there are other good brands to chose from. If you can getto a dealer and compare your favorites as what sound right to one person may not be as pleasing as something else to another.

In general trust in your own ears. ;)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Many Thanks Baldrick !

Can only wait for my delivery :)

In the meantime I found this about bi-wiring:

"I really wish this subject of biwiring would just disappear up its own terminals. I don't have many ambitions in life but killing this discussion by deleting the biwire terminals and reverting to just one input pair is going to be at the top of my 2011 New Year's Resolution list for the remaining models that still feature biwire legacy terminals! You've given me a real motivational boost!

The terminals were fitted for one reason and one reason only: to give the user choice. Have I ever used them at exhibitions? No. Have I ever used them for critical listening? No. Have I ever used them during the design of the speaker? No. When we were offering the biwire terminals, right at the end of the design process (which has all been with single wire) I took a saw to the prototype PCB, cut in in half to isolate the bass and tweeter sections and then made a pretty PCB layout based on that. Did I listen to the biwired crossover before authorising production? No. Do I believe that even 0.00000001% of enhanced performance can be gained? No.

Of all the subjects ranged over in the speaker arena, this one is a complete and utter waste of time - in my opinion. But what do I know about it? I only design the speakers ....... !"

Alan A. Shaw
Designer, owner

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
As I said...the whole subject is polemic. And at the end of the day your ears are the best judge of what you like.

Enjoy when you get the gear. :dance:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot Baldrick, thanks a lot to you all !

Some of the Dac's - like Arcam rDac - when used coaxial goes up to 24 bit and 192 khz but when used optical goes up to 24 bit and 44 khz.

how it works with Rotel RA-11? I know you can't connect Mac vis USB in front, so only coaxial or optical.. but what about bit's and khz?

[ from rotel manual: Coaxial/Optical PCM up to 192K 24 bit]

is that means amp goes to 192khz and 24 bit when connected via optical or/and coaxial ?

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Have to admit that I am not sure. My CDP only has optical out/no coax out so I have not been able to check this out but when playing CDs via the optical input the RA-11 display shows 44.1 PCM so I suspect that suggests that the former is truer than what is stated in the manual, i.e, 44Khz for optical & 192Khz for coax?

Perhaps one of the more technically minded posters ould be able to advise you on this?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
looks like this forum accept only schiit comments at the moment.. so there you go.. is that enough as scam, spam to be blocked/ locked?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts