Headphones HiFi, what kit

ukbobhicks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks.

I'm one of many people out there with a young family who doesn't have much of an oportunity to listen to music loudly over my stereo. I am however looking to invest in some quality headphones to rediscover my CD collection. I have a budget of around £450 (max) for a quality listening experience over headphones.

I currently have a Rotel RA-04 Amp and Rotel RCD-06 CD player complimented by floorstanding Q Series KEF speakers. CD is the source I am looking to make the most of here. I'm very much into the detail and honesty of sound (I'm a composer) so clarity is important to me. So, here's the question:

Q: Would it be recommended to use a DAC with headphone port straight out of the CD player?

Q: Would it be recommeded to use a dedicated headphone amp?

Q: Would it be recommended to run straight out of the Rotel Amp's headphone port?

Q: Any recommendations on headphones based on one of the above scenarios? (I'm keen on over the ear type models, open or closed)

Many thanks in advance

Rob

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
ukbobhicks said:
Hi folks. I'm one of many people out there with a young family who doesn't have much of an oportunity to listen to music loudly over my stereo. I am however looking to invest in some quality headphones to rediscover my CD collection. I have a budget of around £450 (max) for a quality listening experience over headphones. I currently have a Rotel RA-04 Amp and Rotel RCD-06 CD player complimented by floorstanding Q Series KEF speakers. CD is the source I am looking to make the most of here. I'm very much into the detail and honesty of sound (I'm a composer) so clarity is important to me. So, here's the question: (I'm keen on over the ear type models, open or closed)

1): ...use a DAC with headphone port out of the CD player?

2): ...use a dedicated headphone amp?

3): ...use from Rotel Amp's headphone port?

1a - Does the CD player have a digital output? If yes, then connect to 1) above.

2a - An analog headphone amp (i.e. does not contain a DAC) has to be fed by analog music, either from an analog source, or from a DAC that converts the digital music to analog. The CD player probably has a "Line Out" that would feed an analog amp.

3a - That would work well, but lacks the refinement of a high quality amp (which BTW cannot be had with a high quality headphone for a total of £450).

....continued....

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Good quality headphones for £450 or less - there are many available. Sennheiser HD600 or HD650, light and dark, both open. Soundmagic HP100 and HP200, light and dark, closed and open. Beyerdynamic DT880, semi-open. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and DT770 pro 32 ohm, dark and darker, both closed. B&O H6, light, closed.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Great recommendations from Dale. I will add one for the Hifiman HE-400. I have heard good stuff about the Denon AH-D600 and AH-D7100, both of which have been reduced into your price range. Hmm, what else...

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
That's pretty much the top selection in that price range. There's a good read here - http://www.headfonia.com/old-school-trio-akg-k701-beyer-dt880-sennheiser-hd650/

You should have enough left over to get a decent amp like an O2 or NJC Monitor 1.

The HE-400 are around £395 so wouldn't leave enough for a dedicated amp but you could run them from your Rotel until you had more cash available, assuming you wanted to spend that much on it.

ukbobhicks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much gentlemen, this is fantastic feedback to my post and much appreciated. I've been given some excellent guidance here so I think it's time to audition some of the suggested solutions asap. Regarding budget, £450 was a little arbitrary to be honest and I'll go further if the results really work.

Again, thanks everyone.

Rob

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Sennheiser HD600/650, AKG Q701/K701, Hifiman HE-400 IMO would be well worth checking out. If you get to demo the HE-400's make sure you listen to a variety of music though, they are a little coloured and as a result some music sounds amazing with them and some not so good. I've had them a week now and I'm really liking them, I'm listening to Sting - Fields of Gold at the moment and they sound really really nice, warm but still very detailed.

TRENDING THREADS