rotel ra-04 and Monitor Audio BX2

mr.tambourine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I'm writing in order to get some advice from you guys to upgrade my system since I'm not really satisfied with the overall performance. I'm using:

rotel ra-04

monitor audio bx2

denon dcd 710ae

technics 1200 mk2 with AT120/e cartridge.

carnival silverscreen cable.

and I pretty much listen to indie pop, folk rock, americana and, ocassionally jazz and some electronics in a rather small room (around 15m2)

The thing is that while some albums play just fine with a lot of punch, detail and dynamics, some other music sounds extremely bright and the listening becomes fatiguing after some time. Now, since I like the individual virtues of both the amp the speakers I'm not sure about what to replace.

After having done a lot of research through the net and little actual demo, I've narrowed the alternatives to these:

a) Replacing the Rotel by one of these four: Marantz PM 6004, Yamaha AS- 500, Nad C326bee or Denon PMA 720ae.

Out of these, I've had the chance to demo the Denon and the Yamaha. Out of the two both the hifi seller and me liked the Denon better as it presented punchier bass and a more exciting sound, in general, compared to the Yamaha that sounded too smooth for my taste. Apart from that, the Yamaha phono stage doesn't seem to be that good.

b) Replacing the speakers by a pair of Bowers 685 or Kef Q 300, which I have read to have good sinergy with Rotel.

This solution is more expensive and exceeds my budget but I could look for 2nd hand or ex-demo stuff. I happened to listen to the Bowers but not in a dedicated listening room and not with a rotel amp but a Denon PMA 710. To me ears, they sounded just discreet (which is not necessarily bad) but I guess (hope) that they will sound more exciting with a Rotel, given the wide literature one can read about this combo..

I've also found interesting what I've read about some other speakers (quad 11l, dali lektor 2) but they're 6 ohms speakers, which I'm not sure if will work well with a 40W 8 ohms amp.

Oh well, If you're familiar with either the RA-04 or the BX2 and can give me a hand on the matter I'll be more than grateful.

Regards from Spain.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I owned a pair of BX2s for a couple of months, and I didn't like them.

While they are undoubtedly good speakers, they are a little on the bright side. I found them musically very accurate, but the treble was a bit too analytical for my taste.

The 685s do work very well with the Rotel. Don't worry about using 6ohm speakers: your amp will be fine as long as you don't listen at house-shaking volumes all the time.

If secondhand speakers are a possiblility, Mission 751 (the first-edition models with the metal tweeters) would be my dream match for your kit. Still capable of frightening modern speakers, well built, and great for electronic music, with bass to die for. You could re-sell the BX2s, buy some 751s and have a decent amount of cash left over...

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I use the BX2 speakers for a while now and together with a Pioneer A-30 amp and Beresford Caiman DAC they don't sound bright at all. They sound detailed and accurate with lots of warmth. I would sell the Rotel RA-04 amp (I've had it........a very clinical sounding amp) and buy a Pioneer A-30 or NAD C326BEE amp. I think that will solve your problem.

Just my opinion :)

mr.tambourine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, Doughal! My concern with the 685 is their power need, I've read they're very demanding in that sense despite their 89db sensitivity. I'm sure there will be no problem with the cd (I rarely pass the 9 o'colck volume with the BX2 as that, in my roon, is very high) but there may be with the turntable. Do you think the 40w of the Ra-04 will be fine?

As far as the Missions are concern, I've been unable to find that model here in Spain but I've found a pair of 761 in (supposedly) "spotless condition" for 150 euros. What do you think of them?

http://www.segundamano.es/barcelona/2-altavoces-mission-761-estado-impecable/a42406516/?ca=28_s&st=a&c=22

Regards.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
please read this... http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/completely-puzzled

my experience with rotel ra-11 and kef q300, replaced for marantz pm6400 and arcam rdac:)

mr.tambourine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting. Cypher, I don't know anything about the Pioneer A-30 but if it works for you with the BX2's it is worth a listen. Obviously, replacing the amp is the easiest and cheapest solution as the speakers seem to be less picky with partnering than the amp. However, even though i don't own hifi earphones and have only used the ipod ones, what comes out of the earphones through the amp sounds to me better than what sounds out of the speakers. Anyway, regarding alternatives to the rotel, that nad with the bx2's is praised by many but I'm a bit worried about the bass since, from what I have read as i didn`t have the chance to demo it, the 326bee is kind of heavy in the botton and the BX2's produce quite an amount of bass as well, which in as small room as mine could become too boomy. Morover, the nad doesn't have a phono stage so I would have to buy it separately. Anyway, I've seen quite atractive deals for this amp in the UK so I could consider the options. Anyone out there with this combo to throw some light?

On the other hand, does anybody has the marantz bx2 combo? And what about the Denon PMA 720ae? I demoed and liked it but the listening was brief, playing Fleet Foxes' White Winter Hymnal, that I guess must sound great in any system.

With regards to the Kef- Rotel matcch, Ipv, I'm with you, it's best to demo, but I suspect you got a defective amp.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I also used the Nad C326 with the BX2 speakers and it works fine. Maybe a little bit too much bass but overall a very good combo. Although I like the Pioneer A-30 a lot the C326 is still one of my favourites. It has something 'special' if you know what I mean.

macdavy

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi mr.tambourine, I have the Marantz combo (PM6003 & CD6003) with the Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. And I don't find them to be bright sounding at all. In fact the system as a whole sounds detailed and smooth. With just the right amount of bass and treble. I think that with these speakers one has to be careful what amplifier is being used. I find that it seems to sound good with most types of music. Mind you I have had these speakers now for about a year and once run in they are a delight to listen to. Try and get a demo with them and the newer Marantz - PM6004, I think you might like what you hear.

TRENDING THREADS