KEF LS50 Wireless II - various questions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I should update on the LS50 wireless II issues that I had early in my ownership. Basically, they've performed faultlessly for over a month now. Wireless connection to my WiFi mesh and wireless connection between speakers is stable (although when first turned on the LS50s seem to occasionally go through a phase of establishing a stable wireless connection between speakers - connecting to the secondary, then dropping the secondary then connecting again, as if they are searching for on interference-free channel). Now that I'm comfortable that the speaker to speaker wireless connection is working as it should I've gone back to a wired Ethernet connection between speakers. Connection to the Mesh network remains wireless.

Steve.

What you describe here is the reason I revived my old account and am posting this message. It really all feels as if it needs to get a stable connection in the beginnning and when playing music over Spotify it usually takes about five seconds before I hear sound from the second speaker. But yesterday it took about 20-30 seconds for the second speaker to participate when I watched a show on Netflix (so TV-mode). That is too long.

Oh and I got them about a week ago. Used a pair of Adam A5X in my small (24m2) living room for the past seven years and that actually was quite alright.

Last edited:

roobarb

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Although we are very pleased with the audio quality of the LS50 Wireless 2s, we have still been unable to connect our Samsung Q 7 via HDMI ( since November 2020). While we have sound via the optical output, it is totally unacceptable that there is no published fix from KEF on the HDMI.These speakers are supposed to premium and yet their input's dont work. It literally took over a week going back and forth trying to connect the new KEFS when we received them - 3 months later - no fix for HDMI?? As another FYI - we were unable to hardwire a SUB into these speakers - really at a loss - we are looking to add a SUB to the mix but have no confidence that a product will be able to connect.
Quite frankly - would send them back if they would accept them.
I am having the same issue and still no fix. the HDMI connection drops out and reconnects every twenty minutes or so. It's very annoying and KEF just keep telling me they are working on it, are they? I've never had an issue with any other HDMI controlled connection on other systems just with these KEF LS50 II's. The TV is not that old either. I don't think they are 'fit for purpose' as I bought them specifically to use with my TV and only using one remote for volume
KEF's fix is to use the audio out on the TV, totally unacceptable. It's not as if these speakers are cheap? I am really disappointed in them with regards to this particular issue. I am thinking of going back to the Sonos setup which I had before as there reliable, just not as aesthetic.
......Oh and don't get me started on the quality of the remote control its crap! end of, come on KEF does this really match the manufacturing quality of the speakers. Something more inline with the latest Apple TV remote would be more in keeping?

Last edited:

gantel

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

I've registered to this forum just to comment/ask questions about these speakers.

I purchased them from Best Buy and received them on 12/28. I also got the S2 stands and the KC62 sub. For streaming music over Tidal and streaming my local files over Roon they are fantastic. I absolutely love the sound; however serious issues began with my Samsung TV and the wired connection. Using an eARC HDMI connection the sound played fine for about 15-30 minutes at a time and then the speakers would shut themselves off (go into standby mode). The remote and app couldn't turn the speakers back on. I had to go to the panel on the primary speaker and restart to get sound back. After having this happen several times, today I switched over to an optical cable. After 30 minutes--the speakers shut themselves down again! So, I went over and restarted them. After another 15 minutes I heard a single LOUP POP out of the primary speaker and it is dead. Tried different power cables and outlets with no luck; the amp apparently gave up the ghost on the 3rd day of use. I love the sound so I'm going to return these to Best Buy tomorrow and reorder another set, as I am going under the assumption that the dead speakers after 3 days is just bad luck.

But my real question/concern is about using these speakers with my TV. Streaming music never had a hitch, and the sound was better than anything I've ever owned right up to the point that the speaker blew. But using a wired connection, both HDMI & optical, not only was very glitchy but may have killed the speakers! Has anyone else heard of these speakers dying when wiring them to a TV? My only other option would be Bluetooth, which is possible but only an option of last resort. I'd rather have good sounding music at the expense of a TV connection, but it would be nice to have both.

manicm

Hi,

I've registered to this forum just to comment/ask questions about these speakers.

I purchased them from Best Buy and received them on 12/28. I also got the S2 stands and the KC62 sub. For streaming music over Tidal and streaming my local files over Roon they are fantastic. I absolutely love the sound; however serious issues began with my Samsung TV and the wired connection. Using an eARC HDMI connection the sound played fine for about 15-30 minutes at a time and then the speakers would shut themselves off (go into standby mode). The remote and app couldn't turn the speakers back on. I had to go to the panel on the primary speaker and restart to get sound back. After having this happen several times, today I switched over to an optical cable. After 30 minutes--the speakers shut themselves down again! So, I went over and restarted them. After another 15 minutes I heard a single LOUP POP out of the primary speaker and it is dead. Tried different power cables and outlets with no luck; the amp apparently gave up the ghost on the 3rd day of use. I love the sound so I'm going to return these to Best Buy tomorrow and reorder another set, as I am going under the assumption that the dead speakers after 3 days is just bad luck.

But my real question/concern is about using these speakers with my TV. Streaming music never had a hitch, and the sound was better than anything I've ever owned right up to the point that the speaker blew. But using a wired connection, both HDMI & optical, not only was very glitchy but may have killed the speakers! Has anyone else heard of these speakers dying when wiring them to a TV? My only other option would be Bluetooth, which is possible but only an option of last resort. I'd rather have good sounding music at the expense of a TV connection, but it would be nice to have both.

You probably had a rogue pair. I will expect you receive a new replacement, and the issues disappear.

Costes08

Feb 28, 2022
Visit site
Hi all!

Also thinking about buying a pair of these to connect them to my Sony tv via hdmi earc and I wanted to check whether the problems stated in this thread have been solved with software updates?

Also I've read that when using them to watch movies, the voices are very low volume compared to the rest of the sound? This is something that really bugs me with my current system (B&W 606 with Pioneer VSX 933 AVR and Sony AF9 in center speaker mode, despite using "night mode" compression - I have to reduce the bass almost to a minimum for it to sound right), so if true, that would be kind of a no-go for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts