Kef LS50 Wireless ii and Amazon HD.

Oldgreygit

Apr 9, 2022
Visit site
When I stream from Amazon Hd using the Kef Connect app I understand that the app is just a front end and the stream does not pass through the iPad.
If I use the Amazon app the stream seems to go wireless via the iPad. This knocks the stream quality down according to the app.
How can I ensure the stream goes direct from the router to the speakers?
The speakers are connected to the router and each other via Ethernet and I have enabled wired connection in the Kef app.
Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: Babur72

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi

I have the same speakers and use Amazon hd also. You need to make sure the Amazon music app is set to ‘best available’ on the setting and streaming audio quality. Then also set the KEF connect app to ‘hi-fi’ in the settings performance and audio quality.

when you use the KEF connect app click the Amazon music icon and then at the bottom use‘ my music’ to get your playlists up

also if anyone else uses the Amazon music app perhaps with Bluetooth headphones for eg I think (not sure 100%) it can mess the settings Up again as I seem to have to keep going back into the Amazon app to reset it to best available when my girlfriend has been listening on headphones.

It’s well worth making sure you are streaming hifi from Amazon and not just the standard or even using AirPlay as the sound quality is night and day

good luck!

Oldgreygit

Apr 9, 2022
Visit site
Hi

I have the same speakers and use Amazon hd also. You need to make sure the Amazon music app is set to ‘best available’ on the setting and streaming audio quality. Then also set the KEF connect app to ‘hi-fi’ in the settings performance and audio quality.

when you use the KEF connect app click the Amazon music icon and then at the bottom use‘ my music’ to get your playlists up

also if anyone else uses the Amazon music app perhaps with Bluetooth headphones for eg I think (not sure 100%) it can mess the settings Up again as I seem to have to keep going back into the Amazon app to reset it to best available when my girlfriend has been listening on headphones.

It’s well worth making sure you are streaming hifi from Amazon and not just the standard or even using AirPlay as the sound quality is night and day

good luck!
Cheers!
I’m doing as you suggest, I’ve been through all the settings and double checked.
(Thanks for the settings).
The problem with the Connect app is is doesn’t show what quality stream you are listening to, whereas the Amazon app does.
If I use the Amazon app it wants to go via my iPad and send the stream via that using the apple wifi.
I’m and old Luddite catching up with technology; be gentle with me!
The reason I got into streaming was for the best possible quality of source.
Ta!

The two do not necessarily go together as different sites use different masters. It's always best to go for the best recording not the highest bitrate.
But you don't know that..... And I very much doubt they get a different master copy to distribute, unless you can prove otherwise.
Remastering an album is an expensive business and I don't think that's what streaming services are about.

WayneKerr

But you don't know that..... And I very much doubt they get a different master copy to distribute, unless you can prove otherwise.
Remastering an album is an expensive business and I don't think that's what streaming services are about.
No, I can't prove that and neither can you Al. Remastering wasn't even mentioned but I'm sure we are all aware that two identical tracks can sound very different so I guess this would be dependant on the master used, or a cloth eared sound engineer. I can certainly hear it with two CD's of the same track depending on the issue, some 20 years apart. I'm talking about older music here not todays releases.

No, I can't prove that and neither can you Al. Remastering wasn't even mentioned but I'm sure we are all aware that two identical tracks can sound very different so I guess this would be dependant on the master used, or a cloth eared sound engineer. I can certainly hear it with two CD's of the same track depending on the issue, some 20 years apart. I'm talking about older music here not todays releases.
Apologies, I thought we were talking about streaming services not CDs.
I assume these services get a digital file and the resultant streamed sound will depend on how they repackage that file for streaming.
CDs will obviously have differences of there is that much of an age gap between them as the later one will certainly have been remastered

Oldgreygit

Apr 9, 2022
Visit site
Apologies, I thought we were talking about streaming services not CDs.
I assume these services get a digital file and the resultant streamed sound will depend on how they repackage that file for streaming.
CDs will obviously have differences of there is that much of an age gap between them as the later one will certainly have been remastered

Agree that early cd masters were generally pants, check out Dire Straits Making Movies.
However my thing is how can I be certain that I’m listening to the best possible quality stream as the Connect app does not give you that information.

Oldgreygit

Apr 9, 2022
Visit site
I’m on my way for a weekend break so won’t be able to have a look and play until Monday.
Thanks for the help; if my senile old brain can make this work then I think it’s the answer to my query!
Top dog!

Oldgreygit

Apr 9, 2022
Visit site
Well, I think it’s me having a senior moment.
Using the Kef Connect app if I select Amazon HD, open it to play a track, play, and then tap the three dots all I get is the cover art and some credits.
Am I missing something?
Sorry if I’m being a bit dull witted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts