KEF connect App questions for LS50 Wireless II

clercfred

Dec 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone, first post here but been reading What Hi Fi for a long time!

I've spent the last 4 hours reading about this, but can not get a clear answer and I think someone who owns a LS50 Wireless (I or II) would have a fast answer.

I am considering buying the KEF LS50 Wireless and subscribe to Qobuz to access hi quality source (what's the point of buying such hifi speakers if the source is not high quality right?) and I have the following questions:
- Will I have to use KEF Connect to use Qobuz? How does the integration work?
- Can't I just use the Qobuz app + AirPlay2? Will the sound quality be lower than if I use the KEF Connect app?
- What is the difference with a Tidal Connect support vs using the Qobuz app+AirPlay2?

Thank you! I hope these are not too naive!

manicm

Firstly be aware the Kef Connect App only works with the Wireless 2 model.

Check if the app for Wireless 1 can connect to Qobuz. Through Airplay or Bluetooth won’t give you the best sound. Alternatively connect through laptop.

clercfred

Dec 20, 2020
Visit site
Firstly be aware the Kef Connect App only works with the Wireless 2 model.

Check if the app for Wireless 1 can connect to Qobuz. Through Airplay or Bluetooth won’t give you the best sound. Alternatively connect through laptop.
Thank you! You're correct I am considering the wireless 2, not the wireless 1. There is not yet a lot of article/feedback/video on the redesigned KEF connect app that go with them.

When you say connect through laptop, you mean with a cable? Somewhat defeat the purpose, but if so how would you do that with the wireless 2 since there is no USB port anymore?

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The HDMI is only for eARC signals according to the manual. I did try it from my MacBook and a Lumin streamer, neither would be accepted.

Qobuz is great through Connect as well, by the way. Gapless too, which Qobuz's own app (I think they use Chromecast?) isn't.

manicm

Thank you! You're correct I am considering the wireless 2, not the wireless 1. There is not yet a lot of article/feedback/video on the redesigned KEF connect app that go with them.

When you say connect through laptop, you mean with a cable? Somewhat defeat the purpose, but if so how would you do that with the wireless 2 since there is no USB port anymore?

Sorry, I assumed you were to purchase the Mk1. If you are purchasing the Mk2 then ditch the laptop! The Mk2 supports Tidal Connect which is the best way to listen and control to the service.

The HDMI is nice to connect your TV and watch Netflix etc.

In any event do NOT use Qobuz over Airplay. I'm pretty sure the LS50 2 connects natively through the Qobuz app - if not use Chromecast. If it does connect natively there'll be an option on the Qobuz app to connect to your Mk2 - use this option.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS