KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I can't wait to demo these alongside the R100's and Rega RS3's in the next week or so :D

Amps will be the Rega Brio R and the Cyrus 8XPD & 8DAC.

Looking forward to hearing how they do with stuff from the likes of Jethro Tull to Dean Martin to Metallica to Massive Attack/Fischerspooner etc... 8)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
NHL said:
Stereophile rank it as a Class A product in the new issue.

Class A usually means spending a LOT of money, but not on this one!

The review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker

A

Anonymous

I've read through quite a lot of this post this morning but still havent read it all and didnt really find what I was looking for...

Has anyone heard the KEF LS50's along side the KEF R100's; if so what were your thoughts?

I'm demo'ing both tomorrow along side some Rega RS3's with the Rega Brio R and Cyrus 8DAC amps and probably using an Apollo-R CD player as the source but I'll be taking in a USB stick with a lot of Apple Lossless albums as all my music is really on iTunes and I only have a few CD's left to my name

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
No, mate, what Stereophile say is "This thoroughbred both shows a clean pair of heels to the venerable LS3/5a and, within its limits of dynamic range and bass extension, will provide Class A sound for those with small rooms."

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
within its limits of dynamic range and bass extension, will provide Class A sound for those with small rooms."

That is a valid statement and applicable for all bookshelf speakers and many floorstanding speakers especially if you take in consideration the definition of fullrange according to stereophile. Stereophile Class A sound (for not fullrange speakers) normally costs many times the price of the LS50. ;)

In my room (24x15) i can play lood enough without sounding compressed and i have enough bass extension. More so than most compact speakers i owned and tested before. :dance:

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Rethep said:
@Kubs:

Sorry to say, but i think it is really stupid of you to suggest an increase of price! Which is what you do. Especially because you already have the speakers! Put your enthousiams in listening please, and not in these sayings.

:clap: :clap:

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
gregvet said:
I have to say, all this chatter is really making me want to hear the LS50's. I love my Spendor SA1's but even so, I feel like I am missing out!

Back in reality tho, I prefered the Spendors to the kef R100's when I did back to back demo with my Cyrus 8XPD QX. This has now been upgraded to the Dac XP and X power tho, who knows, that may change things ;)

I feel another demo coming on. I want to try the B&W PM1's too tho, I think that will be an interesting comparison given the price difference!

Did you get round to the LS 50's v B&W PM1's ?

Both fantastic speakers, just a shame on B&W's pricing

Pound for pound KEF seem to have priced the LS50's more real realistically.

Are the PM1's more than double the quality for the money ?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I haven't had the demo yet because we are in the middle of buying a new flat and I want to wait until I hear how my current system sounds in the new room before changing anything. The new room is going to be much bigger tho, so I'm pretty sure I will need different speakers.

I have heard the PM1's briefly and liked what I heard. As to the LS50's, they are certainly FOTM but I can't comment as haven't heard them myself.

Looking forward to the demos tho!

A

Anonymous

@jaxwired

They list the low end (-3db) at 79hz. I know these are just small stand mounters, but most speakers this size get into the mid 50's at least. I've not heard them, but wouldn't these sound rather anemic without more support in the lower frequencies?

The frequency response (+ or - 3db) is 79Hz -- 28kHz. The frequency range is 47Hz -- 45kHz.

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/flagship_hi-fi_series/LS50/fact_sheet/LS50_group/LS50/index.html

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
......Just like to add that the fine detail the LS50'S produce after they open up is to be applauded.

The sound has become even more natural and the bass is taut , without any booming, even at just 200mm from the rear wall and no foam plugs.

A very pleasant and easy listening experience. 8)

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Ive had my ls50's for a few days.. Only had a few hours of high volume to try bed them in... But does anyone find the treble to be very flat? Or will that open up abit after a longer run in?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
stevieray said:
Ive had my ls50's for a few days.. Only had a few hours of high volume to try bed them in... But does anyone find the treble to be very flat? Or will that open up abit after a longer run in?

Keep using them, they will improve.

One thing you will find is that the treble of the LS50 is less distorted than many other speakers, so in some ways will wouldn smoother. They're not dull, and they're not bright :)

Which amplifier are you using?

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Im still using my nad c355bee with c542 cd and chord cables.. Using the fs104 signature stands... I was using the q500's which i thought were a little too bright.. Now with the ls50's they feel a little flat... But it could be they're showing up my set up.. Or is it because they havnt fully run in? I will be changing my amp and cd player at some point... But not for a while so id like abit more treble untill then lol

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think it is your amp. NAD is reknowned for being bass heavy. Even with Audiolab I found the LS50s to be quite forward in the lower midrange area, the treble was not flat but a bit recessed maybe. I would say that LS50s need good amplification and some power.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Taking a poorly sub in for poss repair tomorrow and to keep me occupied whist they take a look at the humming issue, I'm going to check out the LS50s to hear for myself what all the fuss is about. Could be an expensive repair I suspect!

Are they really a lot better than my R100s?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
Are they really a lot better than my R100s?

That depends on what sort of sound you like. The LS50's are cleaner and tighter, producing a more vivd and transparent image than the R100's. The LS50's are able to produce those sudden silences you hear with good headphones. Those that prefer something a little warmer and laid back may well prefer the R100's.

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
What set up would you recomend for around the £1500 mark.. I want the cleanest dynamic sound for the money.. At the moment i have to much bass with the nad's and there too warm.. Would like a cleaner, crisper, leaner sound if that makes sence...

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks David,

I listen to all sorts from Bat for Lashes to Deftones and I like a wide and detailed soundstage. True the bass idoes appear powerful albeit not hugely deep but I must admit, it sounds overblown sometimes even though they are a good 20 inches or so from the back wall.

i do like a bit of bass depth(taken care of by a the velodyne which is set very low) but I feel that I am missing a touch of punch.

Given the Arcam gear that I have, the LS50s may well be a great match. I'll see if I can get a home demo and report back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts