KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
Do you still prefer the DB1i's overall then Jax?

The DB1i and the LS50 actually sound quite a bit different to me. As I posted before, I think the LS50 is the more accurate speaker. It comes down to a matter of taste. For my personal taste, I'd rather live with the DB1i.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
jaxwired said:
plastic penguin said:
Are there any particular positioning issues with these Kefs? If so how does that effect the sound?

I agree with the other responses. There are no problems. Position "problems" IMO usually result from bass issues. These KEFs don't go quite deep enough to cause problems in any position. Not to say they don't have bass, they do.

To add to that, I think they also cause less issues near to walls because their cabinets don't exaggerate anything, and the port output is clean.

All agreed. A class act. So easy to listen too. 8)

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Stereophile rank it as a Class A product in the new issue.

Class A usually means spending a LOT of money, but not on this one!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
Haven't heard what Cno thinks of the LS50's yet. Have you heard them Cno, and if so what do you think? How do you rate then compared to the reference series?

I haven't had the pleasure, but I can imagine what a reference monitor version of the R100 would sound like ie. everything "tightened up", with the level of detail/accuracy/neutrality noticeably improved.

Will try to get a good listen sometime.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I haven't had the pleasure, but I can imagine what a reference monitor version of the R100 would sound like ie. everything "tightened up", with the level of detail/accuracy/neutrality noticeably improved.

Pretty much. Over the R series (already very good), the LS50's improve leading edge definition and decay, project more vividly into the room, and reveal more subtle details within notes (pitch changes etc).

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
How are you finding the 5 channels of LS50 for movies then David? Are you still waiting for the new Ken Kreisel speaker system to be released or are you happy as you are?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
How are you finding the 5 channels of LS50 for movies then David? Are you still waiting for the new Ken Kreisel speaker system to be released or are you happy as you are?

Having owned several speaker systems designed by Ken Kreisel, I knew at the time that there was nothing to touch them as far as movies are concerned. Since the demise of M&K, I've been looking for a hi-fi speaker that can do what the M&K's did. I like a tightly focused sound with plenty of detail, which is why I've always liked KEF (of all the hi-fi brands) for movies as an alternative. When I bought the R300's, I knew I'd be getting better music quality, and while they were an improvement in many areas, there was still something missing. I do miss the punch and attack that the M&K's had, and for me, the R300's (using outer bungs) were just a little bit laid back. That might've been accentuated by the 8200AP, and my issue with that was that it didn't have any type of tone control - when I had the Pioneer SCLX86 I could add a dB to the treble, which perked them up a little bit, which helped. When the LS50 came along, one look at its design brief told me that this was what I was waiting for. These were doing what the R300's weren't doing for me. I would still say that these are a little more laid back than M&K's, and they'd be the perfect alternative for those that can't accommodate an M&K/KK speaker system, for whatever reason. Personally, I think KEF should do a version tweaked for AV use - a proper satellite that's designed to be used from 80Hz upwards, bring the sound even more forward, give it even more 'edge'. Market it as a dedicated AV speaker.

But yes, I am extremely happy with the LS50's, especially paired with the DXD12012 - and I'd go on record as saying that this is the best AV speaker system I've heard since my M&K's. A little note for ric71 - moving the LS50's back upstairs to our other AV room has confirmed that the larger AV room was a little too big for them, as they sounded much better in the other demo room - much more composed and without that bit of harshness that was present, which I think maybe down to the reflective walls. That room is being done out soon in anticipation for Ken's specifically designed 11.1 system...

Anyway, I am still eagerly awaiting Ken's new speaker systems (which will be here next month), mainly to see how much improvement has been made to his older designs - if he can improve the speakers by the same percentage he has improved his old subs by, they're going to be pretty special. Then it'll come down to price. As the new subs are cheaper than their older counterparts, I have some hunches on price, and if I'm right, they're going to be absolute killers.

IF I preferred the new KK speakers, I'd still keep a pair of LS50's for music for now though as I enjoy them so much, and they're an anniversary product. I could quite happily live with the LS50's for films, and if I preferred them to the new KK speakers, I suppose the next step then would be waiting for the the Reference range to get a facelift and see how much they improve on the LS50's.

A

Anonymous

Just picked up my brand new pair of LS50s from our local KEF agent!

Have played for about an hour. Some classical and Santana, Maria carey etc.

They are replacing my beloved Neat Motive 2s. My system is Audiolab 8200cd>MDAC>Naim XS>LS50 (was Neat motive 2).

Although the Motives weren't especially expensive or nor were they award winners. BUT when combined with the XS amp, they had, so far beaten all comers. Including much more expensive floorstanders.

So the LS50 has big boots to fill :)

Let's see how it goes.

I like what I am hearing now (playing Black Magic Woman- Santana), right now, they are not at the level of the Motives yet. I'll keep playing them all day and night and check again tomorrow!

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
PeterDs said:
Just picked up my brand new pair of LS50s from our local KEF agent!

Have played for about an hour. Some classical and Santana, Maria carey etc.

They are replacing my beloved Neat Motive 2s. My system is Audiolab 8200cd>MDAC>Naim XS>LS50 (was Neat motive 2).

Although the Motives weren't especially expensive or nor were they award winners. BUT when combined with the XS amp, they had, so far beaten all comers. Including much more expensive floorstanders.

So the LS50 has big boots to fill :)

Let's see how it goes.

I like what I am hearing now (playing Black Magic Woman- Santana), right now, they are not at the level of the Motives yet. I'll keep playing them all day and night and check again tomorrow!
Fill ya boots cowboy...........:dance:

A

Anonymous

Is any of you using LS50s with Roksan Caspian (m1) combo? looking for the speakers now. my budget is just around 800 so I'm on the verge of buying them, still would like to hear some opinions. (the room is not big, 13m2)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
michaelkk said:
Is any of you using LS50s with Roksan Caspian (m1) combo? looking for the speakers now. my budget is just around 800 so I'm on the verge of buying them, still would like to hear some opinions. (the room is not big, 13m2)

An audition should dispel any doubt......... 8)

Hi michaelkk

ATC's SCM7 monitors and if budget allows SCM11 monitors are also worth considering. Roksan's Kandy and Caspian series of amplification pairs well with ATC monitors.

Btw, what speakers are you currently using please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
If you dont mind me asking, why wont you post your views? I am sure even if you dont particularly like the speakers, if you explain why then people will respect your opinion. I for one value anyones first hand findings, whether they agree with my own or not.

I find it more difficult to accept criticism of a product when it is not based on first hand experience, but that's a different matter :)

greycounciller

May 5, 2011
Visit site
BAck to topic

I have a friend who has a pair of the original, biwired, Rogers LS3/5a's and was wondering how do the KEF's compare to them as he was looking to upgrade for a 5.1 setup?

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The atc 11's are fine speakers, but the LS50's are just much easier to listen too.

They are better at low level volume and seem easier for the amplifier to drive.

The bass is clean, powerful and delivered with precision.

As stated by others they are just fun. :)

A

Anonymous

Totally agree the ATC's are fine speakers but they never really got me excited about listening to my music.

the KEF's on the other hand are just Amazing even at low volumes they sound fun and very modern looking (which i really like) unlike the ATC's

ive certainly had a few speakers in my time Atc,spendors,b&w,tannoy.monitor audio. but to name a few.

but for me the Ls50's are the most complete sounding speakers they just dissapear and you get this great wall of music WOW.

For £800 they're a complete bargain.

80s boy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
greycounciller said:
I have a friend who has a pair of the original, biwired, Rogers LS3/5a's and was wondering how do the KEF's compare to them as he was looking to upgrade for a 5.1 setup?

In many ways they'll have similar ideals, but the LS50 will outperform the LS3/5a in virtually all areas, partly because the LS3/5a wasn't perfect. They'll be much easier to listen to as well, with a far richer and convincing performance.

greycounciller

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that David. Tha's kinda what I assumed.

With the LS3's going for about £800 odd on ebay, I told him it's the perfect time and speaker to upgrade to.

Time will tell..........

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I think the LS3/5a's have been overpriced for a while now. Like the Jim Rogers 149's (a more refined and rounded performance in my opinion), I could understand them fetching around £300/400, but £800 or more is just excessive.

TRENDING THREADS