KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Well I dont feel its my place to offer services on behalf of dealers, but I would have another word with David if I were you ;)

Alternatively go to the thread on AV forums and look there.

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
Well I dont feel its my place to offer services on behalf of dealers, but I would have another word with David if I were you ;)

Alternatively go to the thread on AV forums and look there.

Why go there when the answer is stairing at you ;)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
inbox4 said:
What are owners experiences of running these little beauties in?

How long did it take?

Does the sound change much?

How did they sound during the new, unbroken in period compared to when they stablised and started singing?

I've found new speakers to sound horrible in the past (very bright and sharp with one note bass) before they reach the stable optimum and these charactistics completely pass.

Such an amazingly reviewed speakers sound very appealing but I'm not sure I have the patience to run them in! I'm sure they're worth the wait...
Oh!! Yes they are good out of the box and are just getting better.............8)

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
inbox4 said:

How long did it take?

How did they sound during the new, unbroken in period compared to when they stablised and started singing?

I've found new speakers to sound horrible in the past (very bright and sharp with one note bass) before they reach the stable optimum and these charactistics completely pass.

Such an amazingly reviewed speakers sound very appealing but I'm not sure I have the patience to run them in! I'm sure they're worth the wait...
Oh!! Yes they are good out of the box and are just getting better.............8)

Hi Alchemist,

How would you describe the change? What have they changed from and to and how significant is the improvement?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

thanks all for your comments.

David, can i assume that you recommend the ls50 over the r200c due to better matching regardless of price?

A

Anonymous

thanks all for your comments.

David, can i assume that you recommend the ls50 over the r200c due to better matching regardless of price?

jaxwired said:
plastic penguin said:
Interesting - look a lot bigger on stands. How do they compare with PMC DB1is?

I'm a big fan of PMC and the DB1i's in particular. IMO, both the PMCs and the KEFs are pack leaders in their price point, however, they don't sound quite the same. I would say the PMCs are slightly more colored sounding and the KEFs are more accurate. Both have great clarity and detail, but I think the KEFs are more true to the source. Doesn't mean I'd pick the KEFs over the DB1is. The PMCs have more bass IMO and colored or not, I just plain love to listen to them. What makes the KEFs remarkable is the price. I've never heard a speaker this cheap sound this good. I did have to play with room position to get great sound though. Before I found the right spot, I was less impressed.

Are there any particular positioning issues with these Kefs? If so how does that effect the sound?

A

Anonymous

thanks, will check if the local seller is willing sell 1 else will just buy pair.

Btw have you tried wyred4sound digital amp for these speakers?

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
jaxwired said:
plastic penguin said:
Interesting - look a lot bigger on stands. How do they compare with PMC DB1is?

I'm a big fan of PMC and the DB1i's in particular. IMO, both the PMCs and the KEFs are pack leaders in their price point, however, they don't sound quite the same. I would say the PMCs are slightly more colored sounding and the KEFs are more accurate. Both have great clarity and detail, but I think the KEFs are more true to the source. Doesn't mean I'd pick the KEFs over the DB1is. The PMCs have more bass IMO and colored or not, I just plain love to listen to them. What makes the KEFs remarkable is the price. I've never heard a speaker this cheap sound this good. I did have to play with room position to get great sound though. Before I found the right spot, I was less impressed.

Are there any particular positioning issues with these Kefs? If so how does that effect the sound?
Not that I've noticed, in the short time that I have had them [second week].

Because they are so stable in sound and construction, I think they are easier to position.

They are just so solid. :grin:

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Not that I've noticed, in the short time that I have had them [second week].

Because they are so stable in sound and construction, I think they are easier to position.

I have the same experience.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
How about Cyrus 6A (the Award Winner) to drive the speakers?

Depends how big your rooom is and how loud you want to listen. I think judging by the rest of the thread you wouldn't regret going for something a bit more powerful. They are not that sensitive and monitors like this like power, ime.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired said:

any more thoughts on the ls50's yet jaxx?

always value your opinion as you seem to get through so much kit lol

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I heard a pair of LS50s the other day and they certainly live up to the reviews and awards they've been winning.

There is a one week old pair being advertised on another forum (with AV in the title..) for only £675. I wish I had the money at the moment to snap these up - damn recession!!

Hopefully I'll be able to find a nearly new pair for the same sort of money in the future as I reckon these would be the perfect match for my Naim Nait XS. amp Has anyone had any experience of the LS50s with an XS amp?

I need these baby kefs in my life!!

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
inbox4 said:

How long did it take?

My LS50's are coming along very nicely, improving day by day.

Only had them three weeks but the quality just shines through.

The bass is so clean and stable with such power from these compact musical boxs.

As the op said they are so much fun to listen too.

How are the rest of the LS50 club progressing ? 8)

A

Anonymous

I'm considering LS50's or maybe Def Tech SM55.

How do you think they would compare? It's hard to get a listening opinion.

/Evert

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I agree with the other responses. There are no problems. Position "problems" IMO usually result from bass issues. These KEFs don't go quite deep enough to cause problems in any position. Not to say they don't have bass, they do. The bass is great actually, but it's not going to cause bass issues like a Monitor Audio RX6 for example, regardless of placement.

With that said, what I was talking about, wasn't about eliminating a problem. It's more about dialing in better imaging. I thought they had good sound where I initially set them, but after playing with wall proximity (to reinforce the bass) and toe in to get the imaging to lock in I was blown away by the sound of these KEFs. They are exceptionally good speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired said:
plastic penguin said:

I agree with the other responses. There are no problems. Position "problems" IMO usually result from bass issues. These KEFs don't go quite deep enough to cause problems in any position. Not to say they don't have bass, they do.

To add to that, I think they also cause less issues near to walls because their cabinets don't exaggerate anything, and the port output is clean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts