KEF LS50 disappointment :(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Its a small speaker of small internal volume with a small cone. No amplifier no matter what the price can defy physics.

The situation is probably made worse with a well constructed cabinet and frequency response that doesn't hype upper bass as many cheaper (and some expensive ones) do.

It is simply a well made, good measuring small standmount near a way a studio monitor would measure. - I haven't heard it but the better Kef's have always erred on the neutral side of things. Add a sub.

As to AV receivers not being able to sound good in stereo ... its just a misconception. Not all are cut from the same cloth but the same goes for 'stereo only' stuff.

regards

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
ddc, maybe the speakers aren't for him, but surely you're not saying that an old and unsuitable AV amp should be used with this calibre of equipment?? If you are, then it calls a lot of your other advice into question, mate.You say ask your dealer, but I'd question that if that's the sort of advice a dealer's going to give.

Besides, both you and I know in Oz certainly HiFi dealers are up there with used car salesmen on the honesty scale :) .

Oi! i used to work for a few dealers in Sydney...... :shame:

Actually you are probably right, some of them probably aspire to be used car salesmen...... :twisted:

To be honest i'm not familiar with the amp/reciever but then I am pretty sure you would know what my 'over the top' opinion is of mass market product of this type, hence my comments that the LS50s were a poor choice.

There are still some good independent dealers in the UK but an awful lot of them stay well clear from the budget end of the market, leaving it to the 'boxshifters'. This is a shame as the OP clearly needs to be taken through a few basics with the differences that different types of equipment make actually demonstrated to him in a clear and unbiased manner. Pretty hard to do these days though I am sure some on here know dealers who could do just that

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
An AV amp will work fine if it is powerful enough.

This.^^^

Take your speakers to a dealers and try some more powerful amps. Maybe your amp isn't powerful enough, maybe your speakers aren't working properly, maybe you just don't like the way they sound. You can (and will) get all sorts of advice on here, the only way forward is to find out for yourself what the problem is because everyone here is just guessing.

MarkJones83

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
There is a dealer near me called 'Phase 3' - will see if i can hear any of their speakers to get a comparison. Am disappointed that the whathifi review didnt state the lack of bass. It said it has excellent bass for the size but actually there are many cheaper speakers that have better bass for the size so why not just say so? I've owned Kefs before and pretty soon you realise that bass is not what these speakers are about. But the latest whathifi review IMO leads us to believe that Kef have developed some speakers that can do decent bass as well and thats simply not true.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MarkJones83 said:
There is a dealer near me called 'Phase 3' - will see if i can hear any of their speakers to get a comparison. Am disappointed that the whathifi review didnt state the lack of bass. It said it has excellent bass for the size but actually there are many cheaper speakers that have better bass for the size so why not just say so? I've owned Kefs before and pretty soon you realise that bass is not what these speakers are about. But the latest whathifi review IMO leads us to believe that Kef have developed some speakers that can do decent bass as well and thats simply not true.

Actually there are not, there are plenty of cheaper speakers that have more bass, but that is not the same thing at all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MarkJones83 said:
There is a dealer near me called 'Phase 3' - will see if i can hear any of their speakers to get a comparison. Am disappointed that the whathifi review didnt state the lack of bass. It said it has excellent bass for the size but actually there are many cheaper speakers that have better bass for the size so why not just say so? I've owned Kefs before and pretty soon you realise that bass is not what these speakers are about. But the latest whathifi review IMO leads us to believe that Kef had developed some which could add this string to their bow when it clearly hasnt

Before writing off the bass as insufficient, you need to hear them correctly set up, with a decent source and properly driven .....you might just be surprised.

I agree with those who say that if you want to keep the speakers, you will likely have to change your amp, and ultimately upgrade your source.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
TrevC said:
An AV amp will work fine if it is powerful enough.

This.^^^

Take your speakers to a dealers and try some more powerful amps. Maybe your amp isn't powerful enough, maybe your speakers aren't working properly, maybe you just don't like the way they sound. You can (and will) get all sorts of advice on here, the only way forward is to find out for yourself what the problem is because everyone here is just guessing.

My work coleague is currently using a Sonos unit for amplification and he couldn't be happier. Perhaps this is a simple case of the product not matching the customers expectations?

Peptdi

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like my system, NAIM audio hooked up to Monitor Audio RS5's as you crank it up the sound is so bright you need sunglasses! Am auditioning some concept 20"s on Tuesday (budget won't allow anything better) and will let you know how i get on ;)

MarkJones83

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Actually there are not, there are plenty of cheaper speakers that have more bass, but that is not the same thing at all.

I have some speakers in my car that are just 'thump, thump, thump' and i hate them. I wish the bass was tighter, punchier and the vocals clearer.

I'd hoped for something similar with the Kefs.

Something with brilliant clarity but also able to be tight and punchy on the bass front.

The RF'5's had it but these LS50's do not.

Maybe i just misunderstood the review.

MarkJones83

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Peptdi said:
Sounds like my system, NAIM audio hooked up to Monitor Audio RS5's as you crank it up the sound is so bright you need sunglasses! Am auditioning some concept 20"s on Tuesday (budget won't allow anything better) and will let you know how i get on ;)

Yes let me know.

I'm so disappointed, i dont have the budget to blow thousands. Saw these at a reduced price blah blah

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I quite agree more bass is often worse bass rather than better, nothing worst than boomy bass or the cabinets resonating, you want to hear the music not that.

Even with better amp Im not sure the LS50 will suit the OP. How about trying some floorstanders they should have more bass or buy a sub?

Peptdi said:
concept 20"s

Hi peptdi

Q Acoustics Concept 20's are good speakers
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me like the issue is more one of stand mounts Vs floorstanders. If you've had floorstanders previously and then moved to stand mounts it's hard not to feel as though your missing something.

Sure they'll probably give you better clarity at the same price point & may work better for smaller rooms & listening preferences. But you will miss the extra sense of scale, which it sounds like you are.

At least this has been my experience.

I'd go and demo at a dealer where you can listen to stands vs floors side by side, you should get a pretty immediate indication. Then sell on or trade in the LS50, at the price you paid you should come out about even.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Neuphonix said:
Sounds to me like the issue is more one of stand mounts Vs floorstanders...

I was just about to say the same thing. It sounds to me like the OP may want some bigger speakers with more bass

This is primarily about expectation.

The hi-fi business is about hyping up product, much of which is mediocre but highly acclaimed. It is now very difficult for a knowledgable enthusiast/dealer to suggest that some highly regarded product or systems are actually not very good. In any case buyers are more likely to behave reviewers than they are dealers or perhaps even the evidence of their own ears.

No skin off my nose, I'm not in the business anymore so it is not my problem, but the hi fi industry is now so dumbed down that I am surprised anybody bothers anymore.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
Neuphonix said:

I was just about to say the same thing. It sounds to me like the OP may want some bigger speakers with more bass

The hi-fi business is about hyping up product, much of which is mediocre but highly acclaimed. It is now very difficult for a knowledgable enthusiast/dealer to suggest that some highly regarded product or systems are actually not very good. In any case buyers are more likely to behave reviewers than they are dealers or perhaps even the evidence of their own ears.

No skin off my nose, I'm not in the business anymore so it is not my problem, but the hi fi industry is now so dumbed down that I am surprised anybody bothers anymore.

Are you saying the LS50s are mediocre but highly acclaimed?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
Neuphonix said:

Reading through my post again, several times, I can confidently say that I did not.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
Neuphonix said:

You make a reasonable point, albeit a touch harsh IMO.

I guess I was just trying to say that if the OP's previous reference was a floorstanding speaker & then he moves to a stand mount he might feel like he has lost something. Not all bad & he might enjoy the trade off, but if he is anything like me I never got there.

I agree with you about the reading of reviews as opposed to a good demo & listening to the advice of an experienced dealer. But I still find the internet an invaluable tool for researching & learning, not a substitute just an addition.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
BenLaw said:
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
Neuphonix said:

Reading through my post again, several times, I can confidently say that I did not.

Do you think that about the LS50s?

What contemporary products does that view apply to?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
Neuphonix said:

You make a reasonable point, albeit a touch harsh IMO.

I guess I was just trying to say that if the OP's previous reference was a floorstanding speaker & then he moves to a stand mount he might feel like he has lost something. Not all bad & he might enjoy the trade off, but if he is anything like me I never got there.

I agree with you about the reading of reviews as opposed to a good demo & listening to the advice of an experienced dealer. But I still find the internet an invaluable tool for researching & learning, not a substitute just an addition.

So, answer me this.

You go into a dealer interested in upgrading your amp to the latest highly aclaimed model.

The dealer seta up an appropriate system,plays you said amplifier, then plays you a similarly priced but clearly superior amplifier from a different manufacturer.

What is your reaction?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
davedotco said:
BenLaw said:
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
Neuphonix said:

Do you think that about the LS50s?

What contemporary products does that view apply to?

In order.

No.

Most sub £600 components aimed at the mass market.

Edit. Should be more precise, most "sub £600 components aimed at the mass market" that I have actually listened to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS