KEF KHT2005.3 & B&W M1 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does someone know how the satalite speakers from de KEF KHT2005.3 are in comparison with the M1 from B&W?

Are they more pleasant to listen to when listening to stereo audio? Do they have the tendency to be a little bright as the M1 can?

Maybe someone of the What Hifi team has an opinion about this comparison, as the speakers have both been tested by What Hifi.

Any usefull comments are welcome.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Satellite speakers can be made to sound soft and warm or bright and sharp depending on how they're set up, how the sub is set in relation to the sats, and also on the EQ system most amps have now. Satellites generally err on the brighter side as they're bass limited, and I don't think you'll find too many smooth' ones. But set up correctly, obviously some are brighter than others, as naturally speakers vary.

My only criticism of the 2005's is that they still look like the original 2005's, and could've done with a facelift (which I also think the B&W's need). Other than that, the 2005.3 is a great package and should be on everyone's shortlist if they like the lifestyle looks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Spot on re all the above,

The BMW M1s are great satellites that can sound musical enough for AV kit.

I'd place them in-between the KEF KHT2005.3 and KHT3005SE satellites for all-round performance - but add the PV1 subwoofer and as the MT30 package it'll outperform the KEF 3005SE system.

A

Anonymous

I'll agree with that too.....Clare's emphasis on "musical enough" is perhaps a good sum up on sat speakers in general...

I have a 2 month old MT30 set in white going cheap, if you can get out to Bangkok and back with it......
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome: I'd place them in-between the KEF KHT2005.3 and KHT3005SE satellites for all-round performance - but add the PV1 subwoofer and as the MT30 package it'll outperform the KEF 3005SE system.But you could add another HTB2SE for the cost of the MT30 package.......

Or look at the 5005 system.......

Or look at the 6000 system........
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your insight,

I frased my quest like I did because I was wondering how the M1 would compare to other satellites.

A lot of the times these are getting a grade as a package, which means including the sub. This is ok but when I went to the store to listen to the m1 set I also listened to them with the sub switched off. This way I could judge them for their part of the equation, wich is as the specs state 80Hz - 23kHz ñ3dB on reference axis. Doing so I concluded that they werenït completly flat within their frequentie range, meaning they were a little up on the higher frequenties.

The KHT2005.3 satellites from KEF have specs that say 80Hz - 27kHz is the range for their speakers. So is their responce curve more flat than the one of the M1?

I listened to the M1 combined with a Marantz SR8002 fed by a Marantz DV7001. I also listened to them conected to a Rotel RA06.

I understand that sat systems are not to be used without subs or as replacement for a stereo system with full range speakers. But when I am going to buy a sat system I would like them to be the best at their price range. I am not in the position to go and listen to the KHT2005.3 or higher this is way I posted the question on the forum so you guys and girls could have a say.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

KuDo:
The KHT2005.3 satellites from KEF have specs that say 80Hz - 27kHz is the range for their speakers. So is their responce curve more flat than the one of the M1?

I think the whole 80Hz crossover thing is somewhat optimistic for sats...I would really try experimenting with a higher crossover. Providing you have a sub which is happy to extend itself into the higher frequencies, try some higher settings - the benefit to the sats is that they won't be struggling with the lower end and so breathe a little more. I have my M1s on 100Hz (and I've read of others with 120hz+), which certainly resulted in a slightly fuller sound from the package....just not full enough.

A

Anonymous

Hello there SC...I am seriously interested in the B&W system and can come to BKK easily and pick up......write me ASAP at: glowingboy@gmail.com....Bradford, a serious buyer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts