KEF iQ90 and 60C

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I mentioned in another THREAD THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED (cos I can't find it anymore), that the local Currys Megastore had the KEF iQ90s for £699 but the iQ70 for £799 and expressed some puzzlement at that.

Well I went back in there today and they've still got the 90s, at the same price, so I'm tempted, not least because Hifix (Frank Harvey's online store) seem to list them for £999.

However I've tried to find a review for them and failed miserably, WHF haven't done one but seemingly, neither have anyone else, I can't find anything review related for these at all. They've got the matching iQ60C centre as well, which I think would make a decent front setup (I'm happy with the rears I've got at the moment). They sounded pretty good in the store as well, playing Superman Returns.

Does anyone know anything about them or should I be worried that KEF seemingly haven't sent any out for review?

I've put this under the Home Cinema section because they would be used mainly for SkyHD and Blu-Ray duties, however I would listen to some music through them as well.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The iQ90's rrp is £999, so they've mispriced them.

That's what I figured but they've been mis-priced for a couple of weeks now (the store's been open since 25/11) and it's on the electronic system like that so I'm wondering if I could get away with it.

Anyway, the question was really, are they good as I don't seem to be able to find out from anywhere else?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The IQ90's are good speakers,plenty of bottom end with a good amount of detail from the UNI-Q drive unit. Most people tend to purchase the 50 or the 70 as they are slightly smaller but if you have the room for it they are great.

At that price I would buy them - you are unlikely to get a new set with £300 off anywhere else and if you wish to move them on in six months I doubt you would lose a penny selling them.

A

Anonymous

I think legally, given it's being advertised at that price, they are obliged to sell at that price. Grab them while you can!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
wingedwonder:I think legally, given it's being advertised at that price, they are obliged to sell at that price. Grab them while you can!

No they aren't obliged to do anything of the sort, however if they don't know there's a mistake and they do sell them to me at that price they've got no comeback.

I guess I'd riding my luck to take them on buy now, pay in 12 months though...

A

Anonymous

I'm sure I read in Which that the legality question applies. I can tell you I've used it a few times in stores and they accept it as a rule. I haven't used it on something as substantial as a grand speaker system, though I would definitely go for it if I was you.

A

Anonymous

I inquired about the IQ50,s and 60 at the Bristol store and they told me they could do the 60 for £249.99 with out me saying a word ,

so its worth a try to get the 60 cheaper and a tesco store manager told me this week they have to sell at the displayed price as the label said the sale ended two days previous.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
There is no obligation to sell at the price quoted - it is an invitation to buy. You may find a retailer who is not up to speed on the legalities of the sale and persuade them to sell at the marked price.

If a shop agrees to sell at the incorrect price it is normally as a goodwill gesture with an eye on customer relations.

A

Anonymous

Nick, I think you're not right on this point - and since Which always win when they challenge quoting the law, I would suggest you need to be careful. However - inadverdently - you've raised an interesting point. Where do folk stand with the "Price Promise" - is it an invitation to entice to buy or legally binding?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No, Nick is right.

In this case it's not actually a "Price Promise", it's a mis-print, however it IS a believable mis-print (£700 instead of £1000 is entirely within the realms of possibility), so you'd have more legs to stand on than the cases where items costing several hundred pounds were mis-labelled at only a few pounds. I can't remember who the vendor was in that case (I think it was a PS2 or something like that) but someone challenged them in court and the judge ruled that the mis-pricing could only be "binding" if it was a believable price and since no one would truthfully believe that an item costing hundreds of pounds would be sold for a couple of quid he threw the case out.

I doubt that would apply in this case, £700 for a £1000 item is quite believable.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ok this is getting daft now, went back into the Currys Megastore after several weeks of not visiting, the current prices are now:

iQ10 - £309

iQ30 - £299 (which is silly)

iQ60C - £349 (the same as before)

iQ50 - £599

iQ70 - £819 (which is £20 more than they were)

iQ90 - now £649! 50 quid cheaper than they were last year and now £170 LESS than the iQ70 and only 50 quid more than the iQ50! And they are in stock as well.

Can anyone give me a good reason why I shouldn't buy the 90s? Other than that I can get the 30s and the 60C for the same price I can't think of any reason not to.

I did buy a Zonebridge for £69.99 incidentally, which is cheaper than I've seen them anywhere else.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
wingedwonder:

Nick, I think you're not right on this point - and since Which always win when they challenge quoting the law, I would suggest you need to be careful. However - inadverdently - you've raised an interesting point. Where do folk stand with the "Price Promise" - is it an invitation to entice to buy or legally binding?
Nick is right. They have made an"invitation to treat". There is no contract and no obligation to sell. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/441740.stm

D

Deleted member 2457

the_lhc:

I mentioned in another THREAD THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED (cos I can't find it anymore), that the local Currys Megastore had the KEF iQ90s for £699 but the iQ70 for £799 and expressed some puzzlement at that.

Well I went back in there today and they've still got the 90s, at the same price, so I'm tempted, not least because Hifix (Frank Harvey's online store) seem to list them for £999.

However I've tried to find a review for them and failed miserably, WHF haven't done one but seemingly, neither have anyone else, I can't find anything review related for these at all. They've got the matching iQ60C centre as well, which I think would make a decent front setup (I'm happy with the rears I've got at the moment). They sounded pretty good in the store as well, playing Superman Returns.

Does anyone know anything about them or should I be worried that KEF seemingly haven't sent any out for review?

I've put this under the Home Cinema section because they would be used mainly for SkyHD and Blu-Ray duties, however I would listen to some music through them as well.

I loved that thread, i was only thinking about that the other day.
emotion-2.gif
Boy what I would give to read the whole of that again.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Brilliant...

Does anybody who's actually heard the iQ90 (like, oooh, I don't know, the people here who sell them perhaps? Granted YOU aren't going to get a sale out of it but you all live miles away from me anyway, so you were never going to, sorry) have anything to say about them?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts