just installed at95e on technics sl1200mk2

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Just installed an at95e on my sl1200mk2, am just amazed at the huge difference from my at91 and at £26 a bargain. The sound is so much fuller, natural, grown up dynamic and tighter. I bought it from dave cawley at sound hifi who said the at95e can hold its own aagainst cartridges up £100 so I thought rather than spending that amount I,d give this a go. I know its no where near run in as yet i can hear the difference straight out the box.........Well chuffed.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi fish i did see that i can upgrade the stylus which wasnt or didnt seem to be the case on my at91, although at 17 quid did a sterling job and will keep it for back up. how long for mine to fully run in ?

Mine sounded pretty good straight away. Maybe just a few hours to settle in.

the ex is definitely worth the few quid extra. But the 95e really is a good cart. I put just a little extra weight on which helps give a fuller sound (for me)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
ah right ok, mine did sound better than i thought out the box.......currently got it at 1.7g though i dod have a technics weight for the head shell. It did say in the instructions thats its suitable upto 2g tracking.

audioaddict said:
ah right ok, mine did sound better than i thought out the box.......currently got it at 1.7g though i dod have a technics weight for the head shell. It did say in the instructions thats its suitable upto 2g tracking.

Most of these AT cartridges sound better, to my ears anyway, when used with a tracking force towards the top end of stated range. Too light and they are prone to mistracking rather badly.

Note: when you have the funds, and if you think that one's good, you should definitely move up the range as your deck and tonearm, along with the rest of your equipment, can do justice to much better cartridges against . Think AT440MLb.... ;-)

audioaddict said:
cheers al....can i ugrade to that stylus or is it better going the whole hog for the whole cartridge

No you cannot upgrade to it. But looking at the quality of the rest of your kit it is the sort of cartridge I would aim for to do it justice. Remember always improve the source when you're happy with your speakers.

D

Deleted member 108165

I'll second the AT440mlb, cracking cart for the money, best tracker I've ever heard; fine-line stylus. It was just a little too bright for my current set-up *cray2*

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Well if the at95 is anything to go by then moving up to that price range will be amazing and the 440 will be my next upgrade. I think i went for the cheaper option as with a cartridge once youve bought it youve bought it but now i know at is a good match then will stick with them and as al says if i.m happy with my speakers then its worth upgrading my front end. I think i use my turntable more than my cd player so it will be worth doing .

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
audioaddict said:
cheers al....can i ugrade to that stylus or is it better going the whole hog for the whole cartridge

No you cannot upgrade to it. But looking at the quality of the rest of your kit it is the sort of cartridge I would aim for to do it justice. Remember always improve the source when you're happy with your speakers.
Several companies sell upgraded stylus profiles. LPGear sell a VL, SE and SA stylus, for example, as do william thakker.

That said, the AT 440mlb is probably the best option.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I think my last cartridge was an AT95e, which I bought in the mid eighties. I paid around £25 for it, so you did well
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts