Just finished my second system...pics...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
So, I've been wanting to add some music to the little sitting room at the front of our home. Wanted great sound without the big price tag. So I've been waiting for the suitable pair of speakers to pop up on ebay and they finally did about a month ago. A beat up pair of PMC GB1i's. They had dented tweeters, nicked and dinged cabinets, and the plinth was missing. Exactly what I was looking for as I wanted a good deal and I planned to paint the speakers anyway so the dings didn't bother me. Got them for $700 shipped which is very fair for these here in the USA. I purchased brand new tweeters since they are readily availabe off the shelf. I took all the drivers and the crossovers out and taped off the holes for painting. This sitting room has a rather modern feel and I wanted to paint the speakers with a nice grey to match the room. I used a textured paint that gives the finish some depth and was also very easy to work with. They turned out great. Just set them up today. I'm using a cyrus 6XPD which I got on closeout for a steal. The cyrus is an amazing match for the PMCs. I'm using a Sonos connect as a source streaming Tidal. PIcs below of the project.

27167439269_96434a0e82_b.jpg

24079671477_7093af396f_b.jpg

27167436859_a37f013915_b.jpg

25073336468_ab33315e10_b.jpg

25073335618_2f9011aaed_b.jpg

25073334068_aa3382acfe_b.jpg

25073333578_7a1877fc3a_b.jpg

24079673567_46ff7b0d7e_b.jpg

27167440569_274c0ac910_b.jpg

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You've unearthed splendid value by being patient, and with a little diy have got yourself a splendid system. I loved the paint finish and the way your speakers blended so well with your room. Excellent....enjoy the music :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... and another heads up for Cyrus. Rarely mentioned with PMC.

We got to be careful, seems to become popular.

There must be about 4 of us now on the forum :)

Almost a crowd.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
the room and the speakers finish are both sign of good taste...

yeah, can please tell bit more about your painting?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I’ve noticed little dents on midbass dust cap.. you can bring that back to shape using vaccum cleaner on low suction settings

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the "welcome back" bigboss. Yeah, it's been long while since I've posted here. Life got "real" for a bit. And thanks for all the kind replies.
regular_smile.png

For anyone curious about the painting process:

1. Removed all drivers and crossover in back.

2. Pryed out rubber grill grommets from front of speaker.

3. Cut circles out of paper plates to cover driver holes. Used a compass to draw circles. Plates stayed in place just with friction. Cut some index cards to cover the port opening at the bottom. Used a piece of cardboard cut to size to cover the crossover hole in the back.

4. Taped off the PMC logo using an exacto knife. Same for PMC label on back of speaker.

5. Used some wood filler to fill dents and nicks in cabinet. For the grill grommet holes I stuck some disposable ear plugs in the holes first to fill most of the hole. You know the kind that you scrunch up and stick in your ear and then they expand in your ear. Used the same principle here and stuck them in the grommet holes. Then wood filler over the top.

6. Sanded the entire speaker with Medium grit followed by Fine to knock off the old finish.

7. Sprayed both speakers with grey spray paint primer. Just from a can, I don't own any fancy painting equipment. Each speaker was set on a single brick for ground clearance. 2 coats. Stuff dries fast so 2 coats could be done same day.

8. Sprayed both speakers with Krylon stone fine texture paint, granite color (pic below). This was done in multiple thin coats as the directions recommend. Definetely requires patience not to try and get it all on in 1 or 2 coats. I probably sprayed 6 thin coats easy over the coarse of a weekend. Dries fast and new coats can go on after only 30 minutes if the temp is warm. I ended up using 6 cans of spray paint but probably could have just used 4.

9. Reinstalled all the drivers and the crossovers. Applied some sorbothane feet.

I had actually purchased some aluminum bars that I was going to epoxy to the bottom that would stick out an inch on each side and then have the sorbothane feet stuck on those but when I did a dry run with the aluminum bars I liked the look of the speakers without them better. Just a cleaner look. So I stuck the sorbothane feet directly to the bottom of the speakers.

Really thrilled with the results. I am a huge PMC fan but even with my high expectations I was blown away at how good these Gb1i's are. I know some people even prefer the old "i" series to the new twenty and twenty5 series and I can't settle that debate but I can say these Gb1i's are ridiculously good and to get such a "big" sound out of such tiny speakers is an engineering marvel. When the speakers first arrived at my home after the ebay purchase I first tried them in my main system which is a Devialet D200 into PMC Fact 8s and the GB1i's on the end of the Devialet was jaw dropping. But plenty happy with the Cyrus doing the job now that the speakers are in their permanent spot. This is my first experience with Cyrus as they have almost zero presence here in the USA. In fact I purchased this one from the Candadian distributor. I picked the Cyrus because I knew their products had always been highly praised here on What HiFi and because I wanted a unit with a sleek modern look. The silver one I have is just gorgeous in person. Abosolutely love it. And of course the sound does not dissapoint. Superb product.

85d23640-1833-4420-ab5d-55d59c625138_1.454b339e168a9ee456d9fa6c276b531c.jpeg

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
lpv said:
I’ve noticed little dents on midbass dust cap.. you can bring that back to shape using vaccum cleaner on low suction settings

Yeah, bummed that the dust caps have those little dents but I couldn't get replacement drivers off the shelf. Those units are PMC in house drivers. And my experience with buying anything directly from PMC is, don't bother, price prohibitive. As I said, the tweeters were readily available off the shelf for $40 each. I will cautiously try your idea. A bit scared to try it though.... Thanks for the tip.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the detailed explanation of the painting process.. I might be tempted to try similar project

again, great job !

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
jaxwired said:
lpv said:

Yeah, bummed that the dust caps have those little dents but I couldn't get replacement drivers off the shelf. Those units are PMC in house drivers.  And my experience with buying anything directly from PMC is, don't bother, price prohibitive.  As I said, the tweeters were readily available off the shelf for $40 each.  I will cautiously try your idea.  A bit scared to try it though....  Thanks for the tip.

In my opinion. I had done something similar with my PMC's. But in my case it was easier as I had protective metal mesh on the driver to avoid sucking the whole dust cap. Since there is no detrimental effect on the sound, you can leave them as they are.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Great picks, love the speakers finish and your room which looks awesome. I can vouch for pmc and cyrus too. Great combo.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think it's a finish PMC should offer as choice. Very nice and much more modern than the veneers (which are nice too in more traditional surroundings).

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Neat do that with the grey finishes of some of their speakers. Pmc should too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts