Just demoed the LG 55eg920v at Costco for £2633

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

It was not bad, pretty black though perhaps too back if that's possible. I was really impressed though and I didn't see any issues either. I think the deal on Costco.co.uk is better with the sound bar though. I am going to keep my eye open for a review though.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Mate, I get the sense that you're going to buy this anyway, but as I've said before, there's no point comparing black levels with your current OLED TV. The two perform identically in this regard.

The main reason to "upgrade," as I see it, would be if you wanted a larger screen, though of course the TV you're auditioning has the same screen size as your 980W.

There's no advantage in paying a premium for 4K resolution while there's no 4K content to watch, and you're not interested in 3-D, which is the only other area in which the new LGs outperform your current television.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Mate, I get the sense that you're going to buy this anyway, but as I've said before, there's no point comparing black levels with your current OLED TV. The two perform identically in this regard.

The main reason to "upgrade," as I see it, would be if you wanted a larger screen, though of course the TV you're auditioning has the same screen size as your 980W.

There's no advantage in paying a premium for 4K resolution while there's no 4K content to watch, and you're not interested in 3-D, which is the only other area in which the new LGs outperform your current television.
No, no I just demoed for the fun of it. I will definitely go bigger next time and plan to spend £3000-£4000 on a 65-inch. I have decided to wait at least 2 years because Panasonic prices will drop dramatically I would like THX setting too, I don't suppose you know if this disables the pixel orbiter on the Panasonic? I am also really enjoying the new settings you gave me - cheers!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
No, no I just demoed for the fun of it. I will definitely go bigger next time and plan to spend £3000-£4000 on a 65-inch. I have decided to wait at least 2 years because Panasonic prices will drop dramatically I would like THX setting too, I don't suppose you know if this disables the pixel orbiter on the Panasonic? I am also really enjoying the new settings you gave me - cheers!

I wouldn't worry too much about THX certification.

A lot of it is branding and there's no guarantee a THX preset will more closely match the industry standard than other picture modes. Non-THX certified televisions usually have cinema, pro, or ISF presets, which are pretty much equivalent to THX.

Take the S series Panasonic plasmas, for instance. They weren't THX certified and didn't have ISF picture modes, but the cinema preset, once calibrated, could produce reference level results, or so close to reference that you couldn't tell the difference by eye.

Unfortunately I don't know about the pixel orbiter function on future THX presets. I wouldn't get hung up on this, though, for the reasons stated above.

I'd imagine all Panasonic OLEDs will have ISF picture modes that will be at least as good as any THX preset. And I'm guessing these ISF presets will incorporate pixel flipper/orbiter technology.

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
Cheers guys! *smile*

stop demoing OLED's gel *biggrin*
I can't help it I do it as a hobby.
regular_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

First review I think:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55eg920v-201511164212.htm