Jury Foreman in Apple/Samsung is an idiot...

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Here is an excert from the BBC's interview with the lead juror from the Apple/Samsung case. Just look how completely gets how prior art works wrong. The various interent law sites are slating him badly - and saying the verdict will be overturned. He used his "knowledge" to change the other jurors minds against Samsung.

---------

There were two issues, looking at Apple's case: Whether Samsung had infringed their patents and whether the patents were valid. Why weren't you convinced by Samsung's arguments that some of the patents that Apple had put forward shouldn't be allowed to stand? There has been a lot made in the media and elsewhere that Apple wasn't the first with some of the ideas that they had patented.[/b]

To try to make it as easy as possible - I have addressed this in other interviews that I have had - what it amounts to is there has been a big fuss since the deliberation that prior art was not considered. Prior art was considered.

When we had to determine the validity of Apple's patent against the charges of Samsung's with the prior art examples, what we had to do - to make it clear - is that not only did we have to validate, if you will, the Apple patent, but in looking at the prior art we had stipulations in the law that tested both sides and if the test wasn't passed then it was clear either the patent was valid or it wasn't.

Prior art didn't mean that the prior art wasn't valid. It was valid. But the stipulation under the law is for the prior art to be sufficient to negate or invalidate the Apple patents in this case, it had to be sufficiently similar or, more importantly, it had to be interchangeable.

And in example after example, when we put it to the test, the older prior art was just that. Not that there's anything [wrong] with older prior art - but the key was that the hardware was different, the software was an entirely different methodology, and the more modern software could not be loaded onto the older example and be run without error.

And vice versa of that was also true. So the point being, at the 40,000 foot-level, even though the outcome of the two seemed similar, the internal methodology of how you got there was entirely different.

One could not be exchanged for the other. And that is the thing that most people at large do not understand about the legal system. And as a result of that you have heard a lot of hype in the media about did we turn our back on prior art? No.

Did it mean prior art could not have been used to compete against anything any other company had done? No, I'm not saying that.

I'm saying both could have existed independently of each other and been used. The thing you have to remember is that the prior art that belonged to Samsung, or belonged to somebody else that they had the ability of using, they had not used for quite some time.

And the methodology that they had implemented was just right up against the line of infringement and went beyond it in most cases. And not all cases.

Not everything that Apple accused of Samsung was correct and we made those stipulations as we filled out the form, and well, you know how it played out.

My point is that there were substantially difference between the prior art and the new method, but the key was you could not replace one for the other.

There had been a lot of speculation that although Apple might get damages, Samsung might get damages as well. Why did Samsung's case fail?[/b]

Whenever we considered the prior art and we looked at those patents, and specifically the claims that were involved, and the claim limitations that were involved, we had the instruction from the judge who had given us the stipulation of the precedent in the law that for the prior art in this case to negate or invalidate the patent on Apple's side - that was being involved in the allegation from Samsung that the patent was invalid because of the prior art - we had to establish that number one, the two methods were substantially similar; that the outcome was the same, in other words the functionality was the same, that would be at the 40,000-foot level. But what was key to us, and it was a very important piece, is that the stipulation in the law, they had to be interchangeable.

And so consequently, when we looked at the source code - I was able to read source code - I showed the jurors that the two methods in software were not the same, nor could they be interchangeable because the hardware that was involved between the old processor and the new processor - you couldn't load the new software methodology in the old system and expect that it was going to work, and the converse of that was true.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Nope, me neither but the really stupid thing about that verdict was they found that the phones looked like the iPhone but NOT the tablets, when any fool can see that the tablets actually look far more like the iPad than the phones looked like the iPhones, it was a nonsense decision.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Its fairly simple...

He claims the Samsung prior art was unable to run Apple code, so wasnt valid prior art. This is not how you invalidate a patent.

He then goes onto to say that the prior art and patent much be interchangeable. This is also incorrect.

Yet it is these arguments he used to convince the rest of the jury to change their minds and vote for Apple. This guys seems to think he understood things better than the other jury members, used his own "knowledge" for deciding what was correct - instead of following the 100+ pages of jury instructions.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Never trust a man called Velvin...

Seriously tho...

AnotherJoe said:
Yet it is these arguments he used to convince the rest of the jury to change their minds and vote for Apple.

Where does it say he changed the mind of the rest of the jury? The most he says is they probably reached a decision quicker with him on the jury than if he hadn't been on it, and that if there'd been a different jury they might have reached the same or a different decision (well, duh...).

Dangerous having a juror with a bit of knowledge, but if it works the same as the US criminal juries, presumably both parties had the opportunity to examine him and ask him to stand down?

Seems odd to me that a jury would be involved in making these technical decisions and indeed awarding damages. Wouldn't happen here.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Velvin Hogan has been biased towards patent system due to his own interests in it:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-25/apple-samsung-jury-may-have-leaned-on-engineer-patent-holder.html

I have no idea what 'biased towards the patents system' means. That's like saying someone is 'biased towards the land registry system' if they own property. I certainly don't see how it would mean he was biased for either party. And that article shows he was extensively examined as part of the selection procedure, and clearly both sides were happy to have him on the jury.

BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
Velvin Hogan has been biased towards patent system due to his own interests in it:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-25/apple-samsung-jury-may-have-leaned-on-engineer-patent-holder.html

I have no idea what 'biased towards the patents system' means. That's like saying someone is 'biased towards the land registry system' if they own property. I certainly don't see how it would mean he was biased for either party. And that article shows he was extensively examined as part of the selection procedure, and clearly both sides were happy to have him on the jury.

http://www.cultofmac.com/187833/patent-held-by-apple-vs-samsung-jury-foreman-could-spell-trouble-for-apple/

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:

http://www.cultofmac.com/187833/patent-held-by-apple-vs-samsung-jury-foreman-could-spell-trouble-for-apple/

Well that link in no way addresses the point that the phrase 'biased towards the patents system' is meaningless in this context.

Terrible article anyway, just like the last one. Other than to say he has a patent, it's entirely devoid of facts. And seeing as both parties knew about that when he went on the jury, then it's difficult to see how any appeal could come out of it.

The last article bizarrely referred to the different makeup of the jury, such as differing levels of education, as though there was some significance in this. How do people think juries work? Are people really suggesting some sort of conspiracy because someone on the jury who (thinks he) has some relevant knowledge passes it on to the others? Again, how do people think juries work? That's entirely the point of them. If people don't like it they should lobby their local politician, not claim that they have some special insight into individual cases when they haven't heard all the evidence.

So both those articles have almost no facts, are entirely speculative and make meaningless points. Either the journalism is terrible or, more likely, they're aware of this but realise they'll get plenty of hits and links from apple-obssessed individuals. I thought you, BB, would be more rational and inteliigent than to think there's anything in these articles, but perhaps you are influenced by your own bias / views that you do not like how apple go about things.

BenLaw said:
So both those articles have almost no facts, are entirely speculative and make meaningless points. Either the journalism is terrible or, more likely, they're aware of this but realise they'll get plenty of hits and links from apple-obssessed individuals. I thought you, BB, would be more rational and inteliigent than to think there's anything in these articles, but perhaps you are influenced by your own bias / views that you do not like how apple go about things.

I'm not interested in what the articles think. I'm only interested in the direct quote of what Velvin Hogan said in that link, which is not a mere speculation of the journalist. Depends on how you want to take it; one member of the jury suddenly has a eureka moment which then influences the decision of the entire jury? It just does not seem right to me. You may be satisfied with all this, & think my views are irrational & unintelligent, so be it.

I have no love for Samsung. I've never bought a Samsung phone / tablet. In fact, my wife owns an iPhone. But I am very disappointed with Apple's bullying approach in all this.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
This seems to be a pretty reasonable write up of what's to come

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/08/the-biggest-issue-with-apple-samsung.html?m=1

Florian Mueller of Foss Patentd is paid by Oracle & Microsoft to blog against Google. Everything he says is a joke. He is most famous for saying it was obvious Oracle would win their case against Google over java - but as with everything that comes out of his mouth it was a load of crap.

Unpublished - duplicate post

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
This seems to be a pretty reasonable write up of what's to come

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/08/the-biggest-issue-with-apple-samsung.html?m=1

Florian Mueller of Foss Patents is paid by Oracle/Microsoft to blog against Google. He is most famous for saying Oracle would beat Google over copyright on java. Of Course he lost. Everything he says is usually both biased and more importantly wrong.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Personally I think it's interesting that jurors in the US can talk about the decision making process. Is it just for civil cases. I know for a fact that in UK jurors are not allowed to disclose anything about how their decisions are made- at least for criminal cases, not sure if we have juries in civil cases?. I'm convinced the UK method of jurisprudence is better.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:

I'm not interested in what the articles think. I'm only interested in the direct quote of what Velvin Hogan said in that link, which is not a mere speculation of the journalist. Depends on how you want to take it; one member of the jury suddenly has a eureka moment which then influences the decision of the entire jury? It just does not seem right to me. You may be satisfied with all this, & think my views are irrational & unintelligent, so be it.

I shouldn't have used words that might be interpreted as insulting, so I apologise for that. However, in fairness if you respond to a point I make simply by linking to an article it's rather difficult for me to know that you're 'not interested in what it thinks' and that you're only interested in part of one quote.

Why does this not seem right? Again, how do people think juries work? It's a group dynamic of (I think in this case 9) individuals. Some will be cleverer / less clever, some more / less erudite, some have stronger / weaker personalities etc. It's not a secret ballot democracy, it's a lengthy discussion in which the command is to reach a consensus, if possible. This sort of thing happens all the time. And both parties will have known this guy being a dominant personality was a likelihood. Presumably both hoped that would work in their favour. At the end of the day, each juror had their own mind. If they weren't happy with the decision they didn't have to go along with it.

Have you done jury service yourself BB? I'm guessing not. But imagine you were on a jury deciding, say, an infanticide case with complex, competing medical evidence. I doubt you'd be kicked off the jury just for being a doctor. Do you think you might have a lot to say? Do you think the others might listen to you in particular? Do you tihnk you might end up foreman?

I have no love for Samsung. I've never bought a Samsung phone / tablet. In fact, my wife owns an iPhone. But I am very disappointed with Apple's bullying approach in all this.

I didn't say you had any love for Samsung; I said you didn't like the way Apple go about things, which you've confirmed. I understand that view generally (tho I don't really care), but I don't see how they can be accused of bullying in a jury trial. Both sides call evidence, make their arguments to a jury and then have no influence on the decision. 9 normal people decide. Apple won. So it goes.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
the Samsung prior art

Just to clarify, I assume you mean the examples of prior art submitted by the Samsung side (rather than prior art patented by Samsung).

I don't get the U.S. obsession with juries. There are some cases where the level of expertise and/or understanding of the law is so high that a random selection of the public should be kept as far away from it as possible.

Still, it is interesting watching public reactions and comments on the case, as it seems most people aren't aware of everything involved and are investing their personal feelings regarding litigation by big corporations.

Anyone have any opinion on Samsung's counterclaim and the significance for patents essential to practice an industry standard? TBH, it is the more complex area, but the despite the potential impact on the 3G standard and standards setting processes for future technology, it has received relatively little coverage.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
I don't get the U.S. obsession with juries. There are some cases where the level of expertise and/or understanding of the law is so high that a random selection of the public should be kept as far away from it as possible.

+1

Still, it is interesting watching public reactions and comments on the case, as it seems most people aren't aware of everything involved and are investing their personal feelings regarding litigation by big corporations.

+1

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
Personally I think it's interesting that jurors in the US can talk about the decision making process. Is it just for civil cases. I know for a fact that in UK jurors are not allowed to disclose anything about how their decisions are made- at least for criminal cases, not sure if we have juries in civil cases?. I'm convinced the UK method of jurisprudence is better.

Pretty sure jurors on any type of case in the US can discuss what went on, and in England it is a criminal offence to do so in any jurisdiction. We have juries in some non-criminal cases, such as defamation and inquests.

The sort of reaction on this thread gives me a 'gut feeling' towards our rules, especially when you hear comments from what Andrew correctly described as a self-aggrandising individual such as this. However, it seems to me there'd be good arguments to allow for at least some sort of academic research into it, if not interviews such as in this case. (1) Without this, decisions may be made on an improper basis. Juries have previously decided cases using a ouija board and on the toss of a coin. They are told at the start of the cases to send a note if anything of concern is happening. But if they don't do so before a verdict then it can be very hard to sort out. (2) Whilst it can give some 'negative press', such as in this case, overall it is preferable for justice to be open and for the public to know how decisions are made. Judges give fully reasoned decisions; it is perhaps odd that jury decisions are entirely secretive.

BenLaw said:
ID. said:

+1

Couldn't have put it better. This is exactly what I'm trying to say. Why can't the jury make their own mind up? This was a very high profile case which required 9 experts understanding the law, not one having an "aha moment" & others agreeing to it.

BenLaw said:

+1

Don't forget that it is the same public with the same feelings (seen those Apple adverts that tug you emotionally?) that buy these products and make the companies successful. Most of them are not even aware how technologies work, they're only interested in end user experience. Does the public really care about being aware of everything?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:
ID. said:

+1

Couldn't have put it better. This is exactly what I'm trying to say. Why can't the jury make their own mind up? This was a very high profile case which required 9 experts understanding the law, not one having an "aha moment" & others agreeing to it.

Erm, ID's point was entirely different from 'letting the jury make their own mind up'. He was saying it shouldn't be decided by a lay jury at all, as I said in my first post on this thread. Alternatives would be a judge deciding (as happens in this country) or having some sort of body / panel of experts who sit on all such disputes (as you suggest in your last sentence).

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Another article

We had already noted what appeared to be serious problems with the way the jury decided the verdict in the Apple/Samsung case -- including ignoring prior art, awarding damages on patents not infringed, and an admission of choosing punitive damages, despite instructions that clearly bar such an action. And it seems to only be getting worse. Groklaw points out that Velvin Hogan, the controversial jury foreman, went onto Bloomberg TV to defend himself, but only served tomake things worse, by more or less admitting to not understanding how prior art works.

As was discussed in the previous post, the jury initially got hung up on the question of prior art on the first patent (7,469,381 -- better known as the "bounceback patent" -- covering how when you scroll and hit the edge of a "page" the screen "bounces back.") However, in this interview, Hogan explains the "aha!" moment he had that led him to suggest to the jury that the prior art doesn't apply:
The software on the Apple side could not be placed into the processor on the prior art and vice versa. That means they are not interchangeable. That changed everything right there.
You can see him say this in the video below, around the 3 minute mark:Basically, he's admitting that he doesn't understand how prior art works. The fact that the software wouldn't run on the same processor is meaningless. In fact, as Groklaw notes, the jury instructions (which Hogan again insists the jury read) note that to find prior art, you just have to show that the invention has already been done or even explained somewhere else. That's got nothing to do with whether or not it can run on the same processor.

Once again, we learn why it's silly to have juries determining patent cases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts