Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Im sat here taking a breather I was up at 4.30 working Sunday morning, We now now we have to veneer the fronts and tops in order to stop lines showing through the front and top. Normal speakers are mitred so you lose the join on the corner and don't have end grain of MDF showing. What a ball ache! Two coats of high build primer this stuff is thick! but can be sanded to a baby bottom smothness! I really need a beer or two. To the chap who I thought I was making too mush money out of this all I say is just come and try it!

PS at least I'm not Chinese! *stop*
2015-06-08%2018.36.44_zpsgjnpfkvx.jpg

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Im sat here taking a breather I was up at 4.30 working Sunday morning, We now now we have to veneer the fronts and tops in order to stop lines showing through the front and top. Normal speakers are mitred so you lose the join on the corner and don't have end grain of MDF showing. What a ball ache! Two coats of high build primer this stuff is thick! but can be sanded to a baby bottom smothness! I really need a beer or two. To the chap who I thought I was making too mush money out of this all I say is just come and try it!

PS at least I'm not Chinese! *stop*

Yes this is a big problem with no mitred corners. When I made my Troels Gravesen Illumina 66 floorstanders I used butt joints with glued battens inside then veneered but there was still a problem later. The mdf must have been stored somewhere damp and unheated by my timber merchant and a few weeks later the mdf shrunk in its thickness showing the joint in the mdf under the veneer. The veneer did not split but it meant that I had to rub down ans veneer again.

So be carefull storing mdf in an unheated place during the winter as it will swell and then dry out some weeks later indoors leaving the joint under the veneer showing.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yep its amazing the painted finish looks perfect, put it in the oven and spray, lines certainly a learning curve a very tireing one!

The new technology I have just purchased should sort it though its an additional process. All i need to find now is a paintable complety smoth veneer possibly melamine.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheer Philpot many long hour into the night! Its done in Wix and is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Its an amazing product that enables small business to create a feature rich site with no skill!*biggrin* Its something I have always wanted to do on my own but used web guys in the past. This gives me complete creative and content control no begging web companies to make change. If anybody want to create one for a small business project like mine I would be happy chat. Anyway my house is starting to resemble an Industrial Unit Mrs B is starting to lose her sence of humour. Anyway the plan was to make it as messy as possible so she would not object to the Log Cabin on 5-6 weeks away! Vacuum bag press arrived today from Airpress what a helpful company and really well presented, quality product superb advise. Anyway here are some pics of events! I really dont know what Mrs B is moaning about. Behind the Celo is a pile of Abrahamsen bits that has reduced by about 5 boxs at its height 6 more on way!

PP-Lantera-45-x-35-2_xl_zpsskaja2tp.jpg

3%20Pro%20Kit%20V2.jpg
2015-06-09%2018.48.19_zps23krgsw9.jpg
2015-06-09%2018.47.09_zpssre4c6rb.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well after what seems like for ever I have a pair of bookshelf speakers almost built! My new cabinet maker is producing the goods and I have even persuaded him to use the vacuum pressing system I bought, and hey presto he is impressed! I told him it would work, Rolls Royce use them for there dashboards! Anyway a long awaited pic vennering is damm near perfect they look fantastic in Zebranno. Another pair of M3M on way finished in Ebony Macassar.

004_zpsoghpo59j.jpg

Also had a fantasitic couple of days selling 3 amps 2 CD players and sadley my home made M1 speakers but they had to go as I could not continue to demo them beacuse of my amerture finish! Log cabin can not come quick enough the house looks like a speaker workshop and warhouse, Mrs Boggit is gradually losing her patience! Any way thank you for reading and all your kind words, its amazing the net can suprise and delight you and on the flip turns up just plain bad human beings. Hope you like them should be finished tomorrow! Can not wait to see if they sound better than my PMC DB1i's did.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Those cabinets look really nice with the Zebranno veaneer. They look well built too.

I've always wanted to make some custom active speakers as a side project/hobby using an adjustable DSP crossover and an AV receiver for the multiple power amplifiers. In the future if ever I get the spare time (and more importantly the money) to do it I won't hesitate to buy the the ready built IPL cabinets and drivers straight from yourself (minus the crossover of course). It' probably won't be for a couple of years or more but watch this space...

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
HI,

I'm the Creative Director for two companies, one of which has a turnover of over £100M, and have designed and developed many products over the years. These are in current use in over 120 countries. If you need some advice on aesthetics or general marketing, I'd be more than happy to help.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
HI,

I'm the Creative Director for two companies, one of which has a turnover of over £100M, and have designed and developed many products over the years. These are in current use in over 120 countries. If you need some advice on aesthetics or general marketing, I'd be more than happy to help.

Now that's a great offer! Maybe we could make it coincide with the Cheltenham bake-off? (nudge nudge)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Active is on the future list already looked at plate amps, Infiniteloop do i need it then?*scratch_one-s_head* Thanks for your kind offer I have limited budget for such things, but if you think you can help please mail me on colin@iqspeakers.co.uk and thanks for your kind offer. Yes bake off I know I just have so much that keeps changing and I want to get everything just so before, nearly there, I so i think! But dont worry I will do it. Thats a promise and look forward to it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Active is on the future list already looked at plate amps ...

Oooh interesting! Which ones were you looking at?

Both MiniDSP and Hypex have some intriguing 'all in one' solutions available for ready made amp plates containing both the power amplifiers and adjustable active DSP crossovers. They should work well with some of the IPL two way speaker designs.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Mini DSP, you can be my tester Steve, IPL already use plate amp in there Subs so will ask Ivan when the time comes. Glad you are liking the DM10's and a hell of a review, not had time to read it but will, Mum is very pleased with her 9.1's

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Active is on the future list already looked at plate amps, Infiniteloop do i need it then?*scratch_one-s_head* Thanks for your kind offer I have limited budget for such things, but if you think you can help please mail me on colin@iqspeakers.co.uk and thanks for your kind offer. Yes bake off I know I just have so much that keeps changing and I want to get everything just so before, nearly there, I so i think! But dont worry I will do it. Thats a promise and look forward to it.

Hi Colin, I just emailed you.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Mini DSP, you can be my tester Steve, IPL already use plate amp in there Subs so will ask Ivan when the time comes. Glad you are liking the DM10's and a hell of a review, not had time to read it but will, Mum is very pleased with her 9.1's

I'd love to be your active speaker guinea pig but it'll probably be a couple of years, if ever, before I'm able to purchase any from you. Unless of course you want to send me a free pair of active floorstanders to evaluate in which case I'll be more than happy to oblige. ;)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Guinea pig is what i meant! Im totally exhausted after a very busy and stressfull week, the house is a complete mess. Anyway a few photos the M3M are finished, I was stunned when I first played them, they are almost as good as the M1's floorstanders same drivers, miles better than my old PMC DB1i's my carpenter came round he was amazed, he has Rega RS1's just text me and he never never answers text, "your little speakers are much better than mine noticed straight away. Anyway i need sleep.

The floorstandars are ready for the paint shop.

002_zpsprgs3zwe.jpg

001_zpsplhkjpto.jpg

003_zpsuftoafku.jpg

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Well after what seems like for ever I have a pair of bookshelf speakers almost built! My new cabinet maker is producing the goods and I have even persuaded him to use the vacuum pressing system I bought, and hey presto he is impressed! I told him it would work, Rolls Royce use them for there dashboards! Anyway a long awaited pic vennering is damm near perfect they look fantastic in Zebranno. Another pair of M3M on way finished in Ebony Macassar.

Also had a fantasitic couple of days selling 3 amps 2 CD players and sadley my home made M1 speakers but they had to go as I could not continue to demo them beacuse of my amerture finish! Log cabin can not come quick enough the house looks like a speaker workshop and warhouse, Mrs Boggit is gradually losing her patience! Any way thank you for reading and all your kind words, its amazing the net can suprise and delight you and on the flip turns up just plain bad human beings. Hope you like them should be finished tomorrow! Can not wait to see if they sound better than my PMC DB1i's did.

Have you change your cabinet maker?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes I'm using a carpenter who can build the basic MDF cabinet using dowels and screws. I'm doing all the veneering, using a vacuum press, D3 X polymer veneer glue and the results are near perfect with a much quicker turnaround.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a new neighbour, she is 61, divorced and heavily into music and HiFi, she has B&W CM10 with pre power x 2 Signiture Cyrus gear. Had a great 2 hours listening to the Stones etc, have to get her set up with a streaming service. I may even try to get her to join up here, we need more ladies who know there onions, busy day today building these S2's for a customer who wanted veneer sides with blck front, why did I agree to this? Not finished yet but here is a sneak preview. Worked out OK, said no to start with found a way to achive it, another coat of Polyx and some polishing, plinths and we should be good to go. Not perfect yet but we are getting there. Its a huge improvment in quality. We still have a little way to go to match the finish of the CM10's but they are £3K We will get there but for now they just sound better!

007_zpswkfqykcs.jpg

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Colin, I was wondering if I could pick your brains regarding veneering? As you may (or may not) recall, I'm building a Troels Gravesen designed kit and need to look at veneering options. Like yourself, I have a trained carpenter on hand who'll be doing the work but because these are a one off, the purchase of a vacuum kit isnt really justified. I was just wondering if you could recommend any decent veener suppliers or have any general pointers?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well the new iQ HQ arrived on an artic from Holland down our narrow 1800's road! Amazing Dutch driver had the fork lift truck that I'm sure could hover if needed! As well as placing exactly where i wanted it we had a really fun 1 hour experience, thank you Tuin Log Cabins. Well here it is sat on my lawn, area where its going cleared of playhouse and shed greenery cut back and generaly cleared out. Mrs Boggit has her eye on it for a Al fresco entertaining area, it also catchs the last Sun of the day. Alas not to be. builders booked in to do the base, chap organised to help me erect Monday Tuesday/ Thursday! Ive even bought 3 rubber malets to whack the logs down onto each other 3 for a £10, fibre glass habdles Ebay, what did we do with out it. Unfortunatly I have to work all weekend, so Monday 8.30 we start![/b]

001_zpskuoeaiyz.jpg
[/b]

002_zpsnumq8wst.jpg
003_zpsivrxfmlh.jpg
[/b]

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Jmac missed your post, yes please get in touch as the best veneer to use has min order quantaties but i can get you some on my next order or i may have some in stock ill let you have it at cost 8x2' sheet. I can also help with the best adesive to use and some tips pitfalls! email me or call me 0791 9927851 would be glad to help. If the timing is wright I could even avail my bag press for you if you are willing to travel would be a pleasure, Colin

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I try to make it real and funnish, warts and all, it's been tough to get this far. The sound is, well just far in excess of what you could buy for the same money. The finish and look still needs improvement. The finish on the CM10's, AVI 9.1's, P1's and the Tannoys I have seen recently has been flawless. The P1's in particular had a beautiful finish. The leval of support on here and by mail has been hugely encouraging.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts