Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

michael hoy

jonathanRD said:
iQ Speakers said:
That really would not work! The MDF grain would show up. It swells and the fibres come up. You need to seal and prime first without this you will never get s smoth finish.

As you can tell I've not really looked into it, but I assumed you can get untreated/uncoloured real wood veneers that can be stained and polished?

I have used these people before

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Today, we have been appointed sole, official UK suppliers of Abrahamsen Audio products. We will offer full UK warranty and repair service. We will also offer to upgrade V series to the UP version. All UK products will be tested on receipt from Norway and shipped with a UK power lead. (Not the case at present) We will Stock all UP versions as I see this as a no brainer given the dramatic improvment in sound quality for £150 extra.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Today, we have been appointed sole, official UK suppliers of Abrahamsen Audio products. We will offer full UK warranty and repair service. We will also offer to upgrade V series to the UP version. All UK products will be tested on receipt from Norway and shipped with a UK power lead. (Not the case at present) We will Stock all UP versions as I see this as a no brainer given the dramatic improvment in sound quality for £150 extra.

*good*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:

Fantastic ! I am very pleased for you and hope you do very well .*drinks*

But I have to say the real winners are future UK buyers of Abrahamsen amps and other equipment .*yes3* .

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
iQ Speakers said:

Fantastic ! I am very pleased for you and hope you do very well .*drinks*

But I have to say the real winners are future UK buyers of Abrahamsen amps and other equipment .*yes3* .
I know, that's what the most fantastic thing is. It's been blinking hard work and I've taken some risks but yes they will be rewarded with sound pound for pound 3 times the amount. And realistically they have you to thank Electro. I really could not do this if I did not believe this.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
tonky said:
Will you be stocking the Abrahamsen power amp? If so what is the price range likely to be?

cheers tonky
Yes, Have ordered the V40UP today will be £899 can also be used as a mono block via a switch at the back. Thomas says it brings improved sound.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
with your new projects, I'm a big fan of IPL and Ivan is a very helpful and non-patronising guy. In reply to others on this thread, I've never had cabinet fit or veneer problems, I always use 'proper' resin woodglue and seal all inner joints with silicone sealant. My next 'up' is an amp/preamp so I'll be looking at what you have very soon.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
paulkebab said:
with your new projects, I'm a big fan of IPL and Ivan is a very helpful and non-patronising guy. In reply to others on this thread, I've never had cabinet fit or veneer problems, I always use 'proper' resin woodglue and seal all inner joints with silicone sealant. My next 'up' is an amp/preamp so I'll be looking at what you have very soon.
@Paul well done on the speakers! you are in a minority of knowing how natural they sound. Do you hvae any pics you can post? As to the amps I have a V30 and V40 UP on its way have a demo Saturday. Wil be keeping these in stock. Ivan is vey intersest in the amps too, they seem a perfect fit, both products being way better performing than the cost.

@ Vlad cheers, why dont you do the same where you are? Ive added pics of those Noratel transformers! Lovely.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers bashound, its a difficult line to navigate between interest and over promotion. Knowing people find it interesting helps enormously. I really could not do it if the products were not huge value and good. One of the reason I said publicly the the normal V20 was not good value in terms of sound quality compared with the UP's.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
How much flexibility is there with the speakers? Say if I wanted to upgrade the drivers or use a different material to build them with?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
None! I The drivers are already very good quality. Possible to build from wood but you would have to ask Ivan, i think it has been done, but they are closely designed to work with the drivers and cabinet design.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
might not be a good thing, the advantage with MDF is that it is linear. No knots, ripples, sap or other imperfections visible or invisible, and no uneven physical distortion when under stress/pressure. As regards finish I'm sure I saw somewhere on the IPL site a testimonial from someone possibly in Holland or thereabouts, he had the cabs professionally assembled and prepped for piano black gloss finish. There were quite a few photos and they looked amazing so it can be done if that's what you like.

@iQ I'll get some pics ASAP, I sold my 2nd hi-fi system last week with my old faithfuls' the IPL M3Tl's, the buyer had only listened for a couple of minutes and took the lot! It's a shame more people haven't heard these kits.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I would have thought the attraction of custom made speakers is that you can customise them, and produce something that nobody else has. Otherwise just buy "off the shelf", so to speak.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
vLoaypAl.jpg

We can customize the finish plinths, ally outriggers etc not a problem, but to change somthing fundemental like drivers would involve a hole redesign in terms a cabintet and crossover matchng. IPL dont just throw any old driver in a MDF box, its all carfully designed, the tweeters are individualy matched to the crossovers and the 2 drivers are paired/matched for perfect soundstage. IPL used to use SEAs drivers but no use HiVi as they are better! You wont get the same sound quality at the price with off the peg speakers.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough. They look awesome by the way! I used to own some Adam actives, which had ribbon tweeters, I loved the sound they made.

Further down the line I may come over for a listen. I'm keen to hear them compared to my PMCs, which are also active transmission line.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts