Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Review from a chap I know who runs a Piano manufacturer, Dale Forty, we have one that is 100 years old! He is also a music producer, musician, HiFi enthusiast and collector of Classic HiFi equipment any way here goes:

Hi Colin,

I have just spent a week in the company of these great little floor standing speakers, and they are truly a revelation in terms of imagery and soundstage. Bass is good and solid, and there’s a real illusion of artists being ‘in the room’ especially on acoustic guitar and female vocals. They were best in my installation when the volume is at higher levels, not because of inefficiency, (they’re not!) but because the soundstage appears to open up a bit more at higher volumes. This may be partly because this pair is only barely run-in, or a function of the small room size which is less than ideal. They were particularly sweet sounding on the end of a pair of original Quad valve amplifiers, but in general, listening of digital sources was via an Arcam rDAC, and analogue was a Garrard 401 with Denon DL103 through a Naim 32.5/HiCAP/160. A bargain at the price!

Did you build his speakers?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Steve I leant him a pair for the week. He has an enormous amount of experience with kit and value his thoughts. His listening room is very small and uses AE Studio monitors of some vintage! He recently inherited a Linn LP12 from a fellow enthusiast.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Busy weekend! And still not finished. S2TKL in Santos Rosewood Really dont like that yellow cone though, some body else who built some coloured it in perment marker pen.

trB5tSJl.jpg
7Qj5v6Sl.jpg
G7CJGlil.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That veneer looks absolutely stunning. I can only imagine how it would look with gloss laquer ... .

Agree, the cone colour is horrible. It undoes the good work elsewhere.

As for the plinth, imho a 3 point steel outrigger with spikes or ball options would look nicer and take some of the monolithic (but appealing) look away.

I know its easy to criticise other peoples hard work and its all subjective. There is no way everyone will be pleased all the time.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers they look even better in the flesh the guy has made a beutiful pattern. Gloss Llaquer very expensive though can be done, I got my paint guy a 300 table per month laquer spray job. So he is now going into wood and will paint all my stuff FOC just the cost of the materials.

As for the outrigger im having some aluminium ones done. I tryed with my wood router kept breaking bits! I have a aluminium polishing kit to hand polish them, they will go on the next black M1's in about 1-2 weeks time. Monolithic! they are not as bad as i thought they would be but it all takes so much time!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Do you do this as a labour of love/hobby rather than commercial reasons?

I think the problem nowadays is that the standard of build from the big ones such as Monitor Audio, Kef, QAcoustics to name but a few is so high that it is nigh on impossible to compete for a small concern, at least where cabinet finish is concerned.

Your drivers may be of higher quality but I guess that's where it becomes difficult to sell at the predetermined price?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Nice work on the build but I agree that yellow cone clashes with the wood veneer. It might look ok in a gloss black cabinet though.

If the finish contrasts the grain, it will have an interesting result.

trB5tSJl.jpg
2utqi3l.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Do you do this as a labour of love/hobby rather than commercial reasons?

I think the problem nowadays is that the standard of build from the big ones such as Monitor Audio, Kef, QAcoustics to name but a few is so high that it is nigh on impossible to compete for a small concern, at least where cabinet finish is concerned.

Your drivers may be of higher quality but I guess that's where it becomes difficult to sell at the predetermined price?
More as hobby at the moment, it would not work as a commercial enterprise! But yes your right as beautiful as the real wood veneer is it's extremely difficult to get the same level of finish. The sound on the other hand is astonishing Mac is visiting me on the 23rd and as soon as I get the Cambridge CXN Matt49 is coming over and I hope they will confirm my findings!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
tfL5fv9l.jpg
That's what they look like I'll take proper photo's with my SLR When they are finished I used the flash I my iPhone as there were shaded area's there is some really dark grain plus I need to do another coat of wax and machine polish.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
That's what they look like I'll take proper photo's with my SLR When they are finished I used the flash I my iPhone as there were shaded area's there is some really dark grain plus I need to do another coat of wax and machine polish.

I see you now have a nice wooden platform under your amp - Good job.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
They are quite bold and striking. The veneer gives them scenic character almost like woodcarving effect, yet with the tall formfactor and those drivers it looks modern. If the finish shows the natural pale yellows of the wood, it will belend nicely with the paper kevlar cone.

You wont see such a combination in commercial speakers like KEF an B&W simply because eccentricity sells to the few. People want bland, pleasant, easy on the eye. They want Ikea. Boggit's speakers make me want to listen to pipe organ music, very loud, on a Monday morning.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
They are quite bold and striking. The veneer gives them scenic character almost like woodcarving effect, yet with the tall formfactor and those drivers it looks modern.

You wont see such a combination in commercial speakers like KEF an B&W simply because eccentricity sells to the few. People want bland, pleasant, easy on the eye. They want Ikea. Boggit's speakers make me want to listen to pipe organ music, very loud, on a Monday morning.
Eccentric, my god i supose i am! As for pipe music Ivan at IPL sold a load to a church to reproduce organ music as they are suposed to be very good at this. Very loud is good, these things have amazing bass, very presise but not over powering to the deprement of everthing else just really lots of good bass.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Browsing the IPL site recently it suggests the minimum size of room for the S2 TLK's is 15 ft x 12 ft. So as my room is 16 ft x 13ft they might be the right ones for me when I eventually get round to it.

I'm interested in how they sound in your room (what size is your room?). They are also closer to the boundary walls than that suggested by IPL. Just curious.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
15x12 firing across. When I first bought the M1 Ivan recommended not to get the S2, but they sound fine, more bass than the M1's but not bloated. They sound very similar to the M1 just on a bigger scale. Very natural huge soundstage precise and hugely enjoyable.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
15x12 firing across. When I first bought the M1 Ivan recommended not to get the S2, but they sound fine, more bass than the M1's but not bloated. They sound very similar to the M1 just on a bigger scale. Very natural huge soundstage precise and hugely enjoyable.

That sounds promising! I think they look great by the way. I also like the yellow - my first thought was to stain/polish the cabinets in black to match other furniture in my room.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
That really would not work! The MDF grain would show up. It swells and the fibres come up. You need to seal and prime first without this you will never get s smoth finish.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
That really would not work! The MDF grain would show up. It swells and the fibres come up. You need to seal and prime first without this you will never get s smoth finish.

As you can tell I've not really looked into it, but I assumed you can get untreated/uncoloured real wood veneers that can be stained and polished?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts