Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers Joel, I used to be in IT and get bored in my present business. So this is interesting and fun. The idea I wanted to call you on is massive, I think it would suite your business, help with on line returns. Even if I got backing and a skilled team together It would be a year away.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I don't expect hundreds of hits. All I want is 10 ish people a year to start with who are interested in IPL kits who decide they do not want to build there own and believe they will get the sound of a 2-3 more expensive speaker. Chaps don't forget the title of the thread "hobby" I've learnt new skills, and made my own website something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Are you hoping to build these speakers as a full time buisness or is it just a part time hobby that you'll do alongside your day job?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like a really good and potentially profitable hobby.

I think you probably won't have too much trouble finding 10ish coustomers per year provided the build quality is up to scratch the price/performance ratio is good (which I expect it will be without the 50% dealer margins that other speaker companies have to add to the price of their speakers).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
It's one thing that is a must, finish. I want to be proud of them other wise it won't be enjoyable. Just bought 22 leafs of Santos Rosewood looks beautiful. They started spraying the first pair tonight. Piano black. So far the wood build is spot on my guy is fastidious he used over 100 biscuit joints. As soon as I photograph them I will publish the website.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers not ready really but i'm really pleased with the way it looks and my photos of the drivers look very good. I think i've covered pretty much all the info and more people will need it put to shame some manufactures! (but I guessed the more inquisitive might take a peak!), until I can get some photos of my speaker build as the ones from ILP well are umm.... Run into tech hitch with painting the first one will have to sand the paint off, so delayed by a couple of days.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
OK Website done Apart from pics of my completed speakers. Ran into a tech hitch with painting, will have to seal the edges of the MDF, evidently Dry wall jointing compund is the thing to use. I think i will then get a clear MDF sealer applied prior to paint again. So it will push final assembly back 4-5 days as I have to rub them all down again and I'm working all weekend!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So the paint process is still a problem to get the finish perfect. Very faint lines where the sides meet the front are showing through. So have to sand back and fill. The next pair will have the compound applied first and sanded and then repeat. So i have added the URL if anybody wants to take a peak, (None of the images are Speakers iQ built, apart from the pair i knocked together and they dont count as they are not good enough!) I'm really proud of the site looks good thanks to Wix! Any constructive comments would be appreciated. Going to build a site for Mac's Music, Wix have Spotify,(poped and exaple on contact page) Soundcloud, iTunes players you just drop in and link the album to, artwork title all come up amazing. We just need to make it accesable for the blind for it to work for Macspur.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes pretty much, its so flexible and easy. That before you go to the app store to buy bolt on's. Still alot of hard work to get it looking good though. Did you see the spotify player on the contact page?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I did, but I'd advise against implementing anything of the sorts on the site. No audio or jumping flash animations at all.

Also try a white and simple template. This one is heavy and does not accent your product or brand. It feels more suited for a mortuary beautician than hi-fi audio manufacturer.

Invest in quality camera and use good photos on the site. No one reads. Only thing you need to make standout are logo and product. Good photos and light design is the way to go.

If your non-product photos are amateurish, poor resolution and non-photoshoped, make them black and white (stronger contrast) to give them artistic effect. This needs to be done consistently or otherwise it becomes a mess of color and b&w photos.

Do you have a logo and corporate colors standardized?

Are you really set on the iQ brand? IPL was much better for a barrage of reasons IMO.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes agree with most of that Especially about images, hence why I have labelled and added to my post these are not mine!! I'll reflect on the mortuary bit!! Not thought of that I'll play with some more neutral colours tomorrow. Images yes I have taken the driver images basically of the 2 types of kits I bought. The others are from IPL's site I think you can spot them. The image of my listening room will go once I get my new kits and a staged kind of arty shots will be taken. As for name and logo. Not allowed to use IPL Pro Build Ivan asked me to change it. I've been down the agonising over name and logo route. It's all relative I would be more than happy to sell 5-10 pairs in the first year. I have and will take all the photos due to cost you do the maths! Mind you I'm pretty impressed by my driver shots. Vlad remember this is a little hobby and I have to do it between running my main business 5 the 7 days s week. Cheers for the constructive critique. Mortuary!! Now there's a thought they are just larger speaker cabs with out the drivers. I could even make a range where you take the drivers out when the time comes and you get buried in speakers!!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I did, but I'd advise against implementing anything of the sorts on the site. No audio or jumping flash animations at all.

Sorry this was just somthing i found i could use on Mac music site i just plonked it there for him to see what we could do its not staying it just amazed me that for a tempated sight the power and features it has would not be possible without spending thosands!

As to Linn's sight yes nice but i have been down the rought on my last company i spent £5-6K on the site had meeting about brand and market all very nice but this is just a little hobby for now. It is my intention to try and take images of trndy living room with my speakers and a variety of decent amps, Imagery Imagery i know its everthing. But it will have to be me and my camera. So while I agree with you you must temper it with the scale and resourses of the business in this case about £2.50!! I will see if i can remove the heavyness though and a good shout, just got caught up doing it. Funny i did play last night with a different background did not work though.

[/quote]

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If your goal is to sell, take my advice in consideration. This is what I do for a living, not a hobby. If you're just having fun and you're not aspirational, whatever you do is great since there are no objective benchmarks or market competitors to worry about.

Design can be fixed at any point in time. However, your choice for the brand name will remain stuck. You can always change the funeral home theme, but not so easy changing a brand which may or may not sound like generic PC speakers from Shenzhen China. The name is very important, it is your heritage.

I'm giving you my professional opinion sans filters. I hope you don't take it to heart too much.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
OK guys I'll have a play tomorrow see if I can make it more neutral. Problem being if the structure does not work with the new colours I'm not changing it for now, to much work. Perhaps I should of asked opinions earlier. Think you're both right and appreciate you taking the risk of saying so.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Tweak it when you have spare time. Each time is a step forward in refining it. Structure and info is spot on, only cosmetics need some work.
thumbs_up.gif

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Think you're both right and appreciate you taking the risk of saying so.

Thank you for taking the constructive criticism as it was intended - in a helpful and friendly manner. :)

I for one take my hat of to you for starting this hobby/buisiness and making your own website. Respect due to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts