Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I

IPL PRO Build

Vlad thanks for your kind words, where are you based id like you to get your view and listen to them? They have sold a big batch to the Church recently they recreate Church organs very well. And tonky VFM they certainly are i think you would be staggered.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I

IPL PRO Build

Blimey Vlad, near Albania!

Well i guess its a good fit hen as Ivan concentrated on sound and I'm trying to make them look better by adding plinths, lose leaf veneer and i have a 5mm aluminium face plate to sit around the drivers up my sleeve.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IPL PRO Build said:

Well i guess its a good fit hen as Ivan concentrated on sound and I'm trying to make them look better by adding plinths, lose leaf veneer and i have a 5mm aluminium face plate to sit around the drivers up my sleeve.

Albania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Greece. Macedonia in the middle. I may move to Palestine soon to have less politics when I turn on the radio.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
How are they for cabinet resonance? I've been doing more reading on DIY kits including the Wilmslow Audio kits and one thing that seems to spring up repeatedly is issues with cabinet resonance (not seen any mention of IPL though).

I really liked the look and coponents of the Wilmslow Audio Rondo kit but its a hell of a lot to shell out and find they have issues (crossover issues have been mentioned as well as cabinet resonance).

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
IPL PRO Build said:

Albania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Greece. Macedonia in the middle. I may move to Palestine soon to have less politics when I turn on the radio.

move to Greece ... property values have dropped more than 30% in the past year .... I own a flat in Athens and a farm in Mytilene Lesvos (inherited from my late dad) ....

in the past 5 years, property values have halved ... some really good bargains especially on the islands ... problem though is that you will need to have a good internet business/be self employed as there is not much work

This new guy just voted in looks OK (He does not hold any punches) .... property values will double soon and hopefully things will improve when they move out of the EU

I

IPL PRO Build

JMac said:
How are they for cabinet resonance?

They have hard wood braces fitted under tension behind the drivers and 4 in the TL tunnelas seen in the ones boggit made. Our new ones are so much neater. First pic cabinet not glued. Also the complex TL further adds strenght. IPL tailor each cross over to match the ribbon tweeter the response curve is mill pond flat. The 3rd picture is a well known TL speaker as you can see the TL starts behind the driver causing possible reflections?

16223367818_f96d94c48e_m.jpg
15788546404_d6796d4c01_m.jpg
16409308271_8b795ab8d3_m.jpg

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Which are the ones on the left? Is that 'cross' immediately behind the driver a permanent fitting as I cant see it on any of the kits on the IPL site.

I

IPL PRO Build

JMac said:
Which are the ones on the left? Is that 'cross' immediately behind the driver a permanent fitting as I cant see it on any of the kits on the IPL site.
They are my first ones I had built by a carpenter, and yes its permenent, not supplied in kit instructions say add hard wood braces under tension in the 6 places indicated you have to add this in hardwood, without it Ivan say he can hear a slight ringing from the cabinet!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, good luck with your venture from me too.

They look interesting but why is the terminal/xover plate so high up or am I seeing things the wrong way round?

I

IPL PRO Build

Cheers. The crossover is built on the back of the speaker terminal panel, its the shortest distance to the drivers I guess. Ivan does not panda to asthectics. But yes it would be neater if it were located at the bottom, I'll ask him why not?

I

IPL PRO Build

Vladimir said:
That wouldn't have a positive outcome for me considering I'm Macedonian. I enjoy my life where I am. A clover in a clover field.
How come you speak and write excellent English?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IPL PRO Build said:
How come you speak and write excellent English?

Learned it 9 years, from primary to university. Also working, reading, communicating, traveling, Hollywood... All technology is in english, not like I had much of a choice.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I like what I see with the biscuit joints and the bracing. Is this started from a full IPL kit with all the MDF panels or have you cut them from scratch? I think I'm liking the idea of a kit from your carpenter in preference to a kit direct from IPL, if that were an option.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
No the kit is from IPL my carpenter biscuit jointed them over 100 for the pair! He is anal and the fit is superb. Go on buy a kit from Ivan you wont be disapointed they will knock those Spendors into touch!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Wouldn't you be better off starting with the Plus kit rather than the Total kit? Then I could buy a Boggit Total Kit from you.

i won't be doing anything for quite a while.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
What do you think the effect would be of repositioning the port on this kit so that its central? Maybe move the tweeter and driver up a little bit to make room? Everything else about that kit looks like it should be the one for me to try but the OCD in me couldnt live with the off centre port. I know form should follow function but I think it would bother me.

I

IPL PRO Build

Ifor no its not worth it unless I'm doing 100's a month! I could not get them made any cheaper and you would have to set up jigs.They are made for Ivan on a CNC machine and i have an aggrement with Ivan that I buy the kits from him.

Jmac I really dont know, Ivan has put it there for a reason, and its all about sound with him, hopfully in time ill have enough influence with him that I can get him to design some slimmer better looking cabinets. And yes I agree with you, have you seen the centre speakers!?

First pair all acoustic foam fitted and crossovers built. So much neater than with mine i made.

I

IPL PRO Build

So here goes with a blog of how it all started and hopefully I'll catch up with myself and it will be in real time, if anybody cares!

So built my IPL M1's stressfull, fun, educational and stressfull, I remember when i put the foam on i used spray glue. My hands lookied like a Yeti and could not operate my phone. Anyway a dad at school, a carpenter who i asked to do the plinths for me liked them and bingo i thought why dont I get him to do the wood. Spoke to Ivan and asked if i could build his kits, he agreed and said he would add me to the website once he was satisfied with the quality. So started to build the site in Wix i have developed about 6 sites design wise but never got on with the click an build products. This time it worked and seem very good.

Order 2 kits from IPL M1 and the S2 one to be Piano black and one veneered in Zebrano. Wanted to do Santo Rosewood but could not find any at a reasonable price (under £100) and enough to do 2 speakers. Ivan breaks the new I can not use IPL PRO BUILD as it has the IPL name in it! That idea skupered, so settled for iQ Speakers. Arrange to pick up kits from Illfacombe and chat to Ivan, all he wanted to talk about was sound quality, measurments, and room acoustics and speaker choice, which was highly informative. Also listed to some of the bigger kits, and wow. I wanted to finalise warranty, pricing, prefered builder status, etc. Had to rush home at about 110MPH as i had shrimps ariving in the post which i had to aclimatise for 3 hours. And had to meet two old IT work friends for a drink at 6. No pressure then.

Julian the carpenter picked the kits up the next day. All good. Kittens deposit long haired wool from the lits all over the house, i now keep it in a locked glass box! More ideas come about brass speaker spikes, now sourced and arrived, 3 way switchable treble, a polished 5mm aluminium face plate around the drivers both still to sort.

So kinda raced through the 4 weeks from conception, first proper one bult and foamed ready to go back to Julian to put the last side on and put a tiny radius on the edges ready for spraying. Photos taken of drivers, tweeters and foam stage. Web site is nearly ready, but have to wait for the new iqspeaker domain to conect to the site as i have had to change name. Next up will be seeing if the Piano Black is perfect and shiney! And thanks again for all your support. Nite.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with the venture, very interesting.

If you end up designing a new slim speaker, use the SB Acoustics Satori mid/bass. I put these into my transmission line actives. They are seriously good drivers.

SB Acoustics was founded by the person behind the Scanspeak illuminator drivers and the SB Acoustic Satori is like the illuminator but a lot cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts