Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Re the name, you can get hung up on a name spending money and time etc on logo when actually you should be just getting on with it IQ is not those guy company name and I don't think I'll ever be bothering any of the big or even small guys to worry, I view it as an extension of my hobby. I don't design the speakers that's IPL's job. As for the shrimps I'll have to revert to boggit.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
ifor said:
I want to know more about the shrimps.
Started keeping Shrimp Crystal red and white stripes, Cherry red, orange and yellow I have a tank on my office desk at home which is Aquascaped with rocks and plants. Very technical I have pots of different powders to keep them happy and they dart around and eat! Hopefully they will breed as they are not cheap at £4 each! I'll pist a pic in a mo.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers Joel appreciate that and would certainly be useful. There are a few guys on here I'm going to do this with, time allowing. I'm guessing you live near London? I also have a project that would suit you're online business. I need to get feedback from online retailers. Don't worry I'm not trying to flog you something its a long way off.

matts

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Personally I stick with PWK when it comes to enclosure design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHRCOpc5zI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCDR_PKk8FY

This is his appraocah to acoutsics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Q13HvUDjY

I self build for fun, and the results far outperform even the most high-end 5 star winners. I recommend all to get into self build, or in this case, to support those who want to bring the benefits of self build to others.

As I keep on pointing out to others, so called high-end companies often use low-end components from the like of Scanspeak, Peerless, Vifa. The only company that can be applauded is Sonus Faber who (used to) use components from audiotechnology.dk, and they cost! as for the likes of ATC, PMC, Wilson Audio Rockford, the use of the aforementioned components is laughable. If, for example such companies used the Scanspeaker revelator tweeters, then fine, but they often use the lowest end of the component companies offerings.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget ATC have always used their own bass, mid/bass and midrange drivers which are arguably one of the best available. They did use off the shelf tweeters but now all but the scm25a use ATC's own tweeter that has distortion measurements so low they are comparable to a pre amp.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I had an email from JD re the thread. Main objection was having two accounts so boggit is no more and I had to change from IPL Pro Build anyway to the new name of iQ Speakers. I did email JD to check the thread but he didn't get it. All of which is entirely reasonable and I just have to take care not to tout for business. He did say that the thread seemed popular and as I'm doing it as hobby he would not be draconian! Anyway after foaming all weekend the completed cabinets are complete and ready for the Piano black gloss finish. I also bought some beautiful Santos Rosewood veneer for the S2TLK which are a couple of sizes up from the M1's. Website nearly finished.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Yes, good luck with your venture from me too.

They look interesting but why is the terminal/xover plate so high up or am I seeing things the wrong way round?

drumerman further to this yes it does seem odd I looked at the back today and thought have I put it in the wrong way! I checked on the IPL site and that's how they are made. I'll ask Ivan why and if we can move it to the bottom! Cheers

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Tonky I'm only doing this as a hobby at the moment. I had the idea to get fellow enthusiasts who bought a pair at a special price to hold demos in their home. Opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts and listen to their amps in return for cheaper speakers and s small fee to cover tea, biscuits, wine and beer! However I'm happy to bring a pair up for you, if you can wait till I get the website and my carpenter friend is up to speed.

Cheers Steve Ivan does not do actives apart from subs!

SteveR750

iQ Speakers said:
Hi Tonky I'm only doing this as a hobby at the moment. I had the idea to get fellow enthusiasts who bought a pair at a special price to hold demos in their home. Opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts and listen to their amps in return for cheaper speakers and s small fee to cover tea, biscuits, wine and beer! However I'm happy to bring a pair up for you, if you can wait till I get the website and my carpenter friend is up to speed.

Cheers Steve Ivan does not do actives apart from subs!

Forget active power, that's all you need! Sounds like a perfect Saturday night - get p*****d and listen to music whilst talking b******s with your buddies.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi dim span I'm only building IPL Kits at present. We have to make jigs for speed and accuracy. I like the look of a Troel Graveson TQWT kit but looks very complicated to build.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
IPL PRO Build said:
How come you speak and write excellent English?

Learned it 9 years, from primary to university. Also working, reading, communicating, traveling, Hollywood... All technology is in english, not like I had much of a choice.

What he really means is, how is possible that you write better English than most English people?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Hi dim span I'm only building IPL Kits at present.

I freely admit I've no idea who IPL are but presumably you're doing this in co-operation with them? How does it work then? You buy his kits, build them up and then sell them on adding your uplift for the labour?

BTW, isn't iQ Speakers likely to fall foul of KEF? I'd be amazed if they didn't have some kind of trademark over the iQ name, especially as they also use it in the "small i-capital Q" form.

This isn't meant to be negative incidentally, I'm just curious as to how these things work, it astonishes me to see the number of small businesses using the IP of huge corporations without getting stamped on (I've seen people round these parts using Disney characters as part of their company logos for example and a taxi firm using the Facebook "f" icon, I don't know how they expect to get away with it).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
@Lhc yes exactly, all correct. As I said before i had to change the name from IPL Pro Build. As to iQ if Kef come knocking on my door I must be doing something right to become an issue! I doubt it will ever happen. As to Google I have done it many times with my other sites for the keywords I require. I sell small cars in cheltenham and come up before main dealers, say if you search "used Fiesta for sale Cheltenham" etc. Also I started a company making biomass Briquettes, if you goggled briquettes for sale I came 1-4 position. I will be very disappointed if I can not obtain a 2-4 position under my desired keywords. I've never paid a penny to Google or for SEO. Oh and as to Vlad something like that!
regular_smile.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Even Behringer sells iQ speakers. Personally, I would choose a name that's easy to Google. I won't be surprised if your iQ speakers end up on page 3 of Google search (unless you pay them to bump it up).

Couldn't agree more. More like page 50. Unless you are in the top 3 on the first page, you will get zero hits.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Google is all about choosing what realistic keywords you wish to optimize for. If I choose "HiFi speakers" I won't have a hope in hell even if I did it probably wouldn't do me much good. What I want is people finding me who search IPL Acoustics or DIY speakers. I don't even really need to come up using iq speakers because if they were looking for me in particular they could find me, somehow. Though would be nice!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You're right, but even if all went swimmingly with what you are saying, you will get very very few hits. Until you have a brand which means hundreds and hundreds of hours on forums, no-one will search for IPL Acoustics.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't expect hundreds of hits. All I want is 10 ish people a year to start with who are interested in IPL kits who decide they do not want to build there own and believe they will get the sound of a 2-3 more expensive speaker. Chaps don't forget the title of the thread "hobby" I've learnt new skills, and made my own website something I've wanted to do for a long time.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I don't expect hundreds of hits. All I want is 10 ish people a year to start with who are interested in IPL kits who decide they do not want to build there own and believe they will get the sound of a 2-3 more expensive speaker. Chaps don't forget the title of the thread "hobby" I've learnt new skills, and made my own website something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Nice one. Good luck mate, it will come good.

TRENDING THREADS