Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Just seen the last 3 posts, I found it amusing! As to the guy with the white Nissan SX300 Peter North? must google it! I lusted after the 300SX then drove my Sales Directors white one as it happens, well very disapointing, fast but very sloppy!

So here is the latest idea, just veneered a front panel with Ebony Macassar using epoxy resin and the vacuum press. All I need to do now is work out how to router and finish the veneer without scratching the Ally, you never no, just might look OK, certainly will be different, talking point, next up is hand polished front, now I know this one is easy to achieve if not hard work. Still working hard to get all the production of the electronics in order, so it was a nice aside.

IMG_1730_zpsdzqlrg4l.jpg

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Like this! *i-m_so_happy*

Yes that is the orientation that I meant.

The colour of the veneer in the initial photo of the front panel for your amplifier, is much lighter. Do you apply a stain/varnish to make the colour darker, as in the picture of the speaker?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mike

Yes, lots of coats of Polyx oil/wax and fine sanded between each, goes much darker and really brings out the natural grain. Its also breathable, water, beer, Coke, proof and has UV filters. Its also easy to to repair and maintain, they do a liquid wax to keep it looking good. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have it finished, not getting much sleep these days, either building or researching products.

These are some very early ones I made, the finish is nowhere near as good as we are producing now.

bee373_4cd9e2428e884377b72e3530c2672c5d.jpg_srb_p_268_374_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpg_zpsuufloj3w.png

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
So here is the latest idea, just veneered a front panel with Ebony Macassar using epoxy resin and the vacuum press. All I need to do now is work out how to router and finish the veneer without scratching the Ally, you never no, just might look OK, certainly will be different, talking point ...

Wood glued onto metal isn't always a good 'look' ...

134947d1212634736-you-think-you-hate-now-wait-till-you-drive-photo0309.jpg

Slapping a couple of planks on the ends has worked at various times for Yamaha and Sony and others ...

2751875183_56681a0abe.jpg

Even better get some nice backlit meters on the front panel.

L507uX_front_small.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree wood does not alway look good, ill only know after trying it. So the plan is to mill a chamfer top and bottom so the silver Ally shows through on all finishes. Im going for this sort of look.

monarch-mainimagelge_zpsz78hlhza.png

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I agree wood does not alway look good, ill only know after trying it. So the plan is to mill a chamfer top and bottom so the silver Ally shows through on all finishes. Im going for this sort of look.

I've seen that Monarch TT in the flesh (or wood) and it looks stunning.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yep next week, I'll be offering a kit, finished amp etc. Probably 2 weeks away before I can ship. I'm guessing it will be my first version to market.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ, have you seen the latest HifiChoice and their review of the Acousticimagery ATSAH 500 hypex (400w/ch) powered mono blocks?

Carbon casings, £1,599/pair.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Not yet i need to get a copy, they use the exact same components as mine (exactly) mine will be £999! Im not keen on there case except the back panel in carbon fibre look. I assume it was a good review?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Not yet i need to get a copy, they use the exact same components as mine (exactly) mine will be £999! Im not keen on there case except the back panel in carbon fibre look. I assume it was a good review?

It was. If you can do yours for £1k (and still make them look good) then that is incredible.

Power has never been that cheap (if you discount the nasty looking and probably equally bad sounding cheap 'pro' stuff).

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Just want to say that I still find this thread very interesting so keep them coming, must be great to be doing something that you have an interest in and can ( hopefully ) make a living at as well.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Just waiting for the milling machine to chamfer top and bottom and finish the hole nicley.

Cheers and yes love it, though the electronics has been frustrating today, trying to implement a switch! Sounds simple? Also sorted the overcurrent indicator issue today. This is in my new section of my cabin for the electronics complete with new temp controlled soldering station.

IMG_1732_zpsagit8vmd.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
That looks unusual.

It's difficult to see on the picture but is the zebrano front inset into a milled surround and is it laquered?

It looks ... err ... not good.

Of course that's just my own opinion. It's whether you like it that really counts.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A question about the soldering ...

I don't want to breath in lead oxide fumes (or any fumes) if I start soldering, so should I use a fan and an open window, or do you use a proper extractor system in your work area?

Thanks.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
It's Ebony Macassar veneered on to the 10mm Ally front panel. No finish on it yet, not even sanded. Will go much, much darker. The top and bottom edges about 5mm deep will be milled into the ally at 45* so it will show through. As to not liking it that a personal preference if enough people don't like it I won't do it, however it's something different and a talking point. Recently went into the Lexus garage had bright orange and a bright yellow coupes in the showroom, who the hell is going to buy them! But we talked about them.

As to soldering it's lead free, unless you're doing it all day, every day I would not worry. What are you soldering?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I guess the finish with unusual wood (or anything else out of the ordinary) is always a marmite thing.

Also, those being relatively chilled running amplifiers, some may hide them away?

Personally, I quite like the carbon look but a laquered Veneer front could look very nice too.

You could try and cut through the Veneer to 'engrave' your logo which then shines through in alu/steel ... ?

Just don't put golden feet on it :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I guess the finish with unusual wood (or anything else out of the ordinary) is always a marmite thing.

Also, those being relatively chilled running amplifiers, some may hide them away?

Personally, I quite like the carbon look but a laquered Veneer front could look very nice too.

You could try and cut through the Veneer to 'engrave' your logo which then shines through in alu/steel ... ?

Just don't put golden feet on it :)
YES but that's a while away and will be expensive!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Of course and for under a thousand pounds for that amount of power I'd rather have what counts inside.

I am not sure exactly how you are going to achieve that and make any money on it but I think it would be fair to say there will be nothing like it at the price afaik but others may know differently.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
A stereo NC500-based amp with proper PSUs, for under £1000? That would be huge VFM! Like really, if you jump from that VFM, you'll kill yourself! *good*

BTW, I noticed you entered the DIYAudio thread. Did you read all 865 pages first? Of course you did! That guy Julf does know a thing or two about the Ncores; he would make for a good reference in case of doubt!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
A stereo NC500-based amp with proper PSUs, for under £1000? That would be huge VFM! Like really, if you jump from that VFM, you'll kill yourself! *good*

BTW, I noticed you entered the DIYAudio thread. Did you read all 865 pages first? Of course you did! That guy Julf does know a thing or two about the Ncores; he would make for a good reference in case of doubt!
Not all 865!

TRENDING THREADS