Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
OK here is the final layout...
Its not finished the switches I ordered were on back order so there will be mains wiring to the front panel and some power for the LED. Much neater this way and cables much shorter. Cable routing and loom will be next once the switches arrive. XLR's in place some high quality Switchcraft Gold plated metal bodies courtesy of a great little supplier Action Hardware who are also the CHK distributor in the UK the mains IEC switch input come from them as well. XLR's sounding much better.
Next up is design the packing and get it on order.
Sounding wonderful. Enjoy.

FINAL20LAYOUT_zpshmct3d0x.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:
This could even be made smaller ... half the size ... ?

Pro-ject Stereo Box RS

Only 206 x 72 x 200mm (220mm with sockets)

Yes I heard the RS series with speaker from MyAudio. Impressive it sounded too imho.

Of course, power is not on par with the afromentioned Hypex modules.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thats some little box, cheers for the size check, Ive ordered some shorter cases these were 280mm deep, the new ones are 230mm and should leave enough room for air flow and electrical safty issues. There were many factors in choosing the case, there are so many considerations.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Stereo prototype version of the NC500 running, just needs a few adjustments to the XLR input positions. 330mm wide same design case as the 240mm wide Mono Blocks. Both 280mm deep. Waiting for milling machine to customize front panel and to setup drilling of base and rear panels. Incidently I dont think the shorter case will work due to the 50mm mains switch at the front. I have ordered one to try. There are many implications when laying out the design including saftey standards!
Hypex%20Stereo%20NC500%20Protoype_zpsggewbll2.png

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm really curious about how these sound. I swore off class D after my dissapointment with the MF PWR's. How does it compare with the Abrahamsen?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Stereo prototype version of the NC500 running, just needs a few adjustments to the XLR input positions. 330mm wide same design case as the 240mm wide Mono Blocks. Both 280mm deep. Waiting for milling machine to customize front panel and to setup drilling of base and rear panels. Incidently I dont think the shorter case will work due to the 50mm mains switch at the front. I have ordered one to try. There are many implications when laying out the design including saftey standards!

Hypex%20Stereo%20NC500%20Protoype_zpsggewbll2.png

Yikes! That lot is filthy.

Is it next to the sanding machine?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry been busy buying CNC machine and software, yes its dirty the flash highlights it been in and out of my workshop its the prototype

As to the Abrahamsen vs Nord Hypex, difficult question to answer as you will all jump on the one is better than the other, to be honest I dont know, I 've not really had much time to sit down and listen back to back. All I can say at the moment is they are both pretty close. The Hypex is more powerfull and seems to project a wider soundstage, at this stage I think I like the tonal qualities of the Abrahamsen more.

As to what going on, I have bought a CNC machine, going to run Mach3 CNC sofware, a step learning curve. I have been watching all the complex video tutorials in the quite wind and rain swept morning at work. Im pretty sure Im going to cancel the larger milling machine as I think this little baby will do all I want. Offering a level of accuracy and and customization I need It will cut Ally.

_57_zpswd8vikrf.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hypex case made, could potentially fit 2 PSu's and 2 Hypex modules in this case. Looking to offer the case as close to £99 as I can. Will include pre drilled base and back panel, binding posts, mains input/switch, the 44mm Solid Ally feet and a front switch with "halo blue LED ring".
As to the sound difference between the NC400 and the NC500 any difference is to close on my initial listening.

HYpex%20NC400_zpsol8mpial.jpg

Second up the switches arrived from Rapid electronics and feel and look great on the mock up of the front panel. Just waiting for the CNC machine. The lines will be milled along with chamfer at the top, these will show through in silver. The badge will sit in a pocket milled into the front.

FRONT%20PANEL%20MOCKUP_zpsgq8ptqaf.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Particually pleased with this! Never used CAD/CAM software until yesterday.. The grey area above the switch is a pocket for the badge, will look to CNC this at some point. So here you go, first atempt with the cut paths in the second image. From this you export the G code it produces into the Mach3 software used to control the CNC machine and it should produce the required result. However due to the complexities encountered so far I'm under no illusion that its going to be an pain free experience.*scratch_one-s_head**shok*

First%202dcut%20front%20panel_zpsje0itvyj.png

2d%20with%20cut%20paths_zpspvealnso.png

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Particually pleased with this! Never used CAD/CAM software until yesterday.. The grey area above the switch is a pocket for the badge, will look to CNC this at some point. So here you go, first atempt with the cut paths in the second image. From this you export the G code it produces into the Mach3 software used to control the CNC machine and it should produce the required result. However due to the complexities encountered so far I'm under no illusion that its going to be an pain free experience.*scratch_one-s_head**shok*

I was inspired to look up other 'Nord' designs ...

6542705469_c484767047_b.jpg

How about that look with the red LED glow around the various knobs and buttons?

shdecolg.jpg

Or something from the iconic 1935 photo of the Magasin Du Nord in Copenhagen?

(The perimeter light around the edge of the fascia panel and the illuminated dial.)

Or an 'Etoile Du Nord' theme. (Tiny little drilled holes and LEDs picking out the Ursa Minor constellation and the North Star.)

Rolls Royce did something similar (but more elaborate obviously) in one of their 'specials' ...

rolls-royce-bespoke-celestial-phantom-2013-dubai-motor-show_100445015_l.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The Cut2D software seems pretty good it produces all the G code to power the CNC, so you draw the object in 2D, create the cut path, dimensions with the cutter parameters and the it creates a very acurate 3D model simulation showing the profiles of the cuts. From which you can tell if its what you expected. Getting the CNC and tooling to recreate the image is another thing, but we will get there. Changed the curved 2mm slots on the front from 2mm Bull Nosed, to use a 4mm V shaped cutter going down 1mm. The 2mm Bull nosed cutter was just to delicate, broke 2 and at £12 a pop could get expensive!

340MM%20FRONT%20PANEL%20IN%20CUT2D_zpsgjuvrrg1.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So after a long gruelling weekend teying to get the milling machine to cut where I thought i told it too and cutting cleanly. Not to mention without snaping £12 milling bits we are almost there. This is the latest cut, on the back of a panel the front is not so good. The milling cutter to chamfer the top top of the front panel costs £45 luckily I've not broken one of those yet. Up till 3 in the morning Saturday night drawing back panels in the CAM software! I put the still under construction Nord site live this afternoon, I'm sure there are a few errors and spelling mistakes but wanted Google to start indexing it, to launch day.

IMG_1776_zps5qdneigu.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a young lad 15 who I came across on here and who is drawing me a 3D rendering of the case for a fee, what a mature intelligent young guy he is, his questions in order to cut to him producing me what I want with out any waste is superb. I hope he goes far and is hope for our engineering future.

3d%20drawing%20_zpsseh7lndc.png

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So it's been a tough few weeks, Hypex gave a big thumbs up for the amplifier design, spec, layout etc . Very close to production ready for the cases using the CNC, jig done for the mono block, next the Stereo version etc. Just need to set up and do one after the other. Still learning the machine especially when something goes wrong wreking another £16 front panel. The hugely positive thing is it will produce what's required. Also drawings for switches stating 24 dia when they are really 22mm are really not a help!

Also the veneered front mills perfectly and think gives a very contemporary take on wood and amps.

I have also started design process to our own input buffer board, using discreet op amp and voltage regulators, (Burson and Sparkos op amp samples on the way from Australia and the USA) Will be able to offer a "Sound Menu" using different plug in op amps! Anyway couple of shots of still prototype amps.

4s3f6vBl.jpg

YaZcXoel.jpg

pgBBb7bl.jpg

No finish on the veneer can not show it all as a guide bearing on the CNC came lose and wrecked it. Still the concept works and looks good IMO! Cheers for reading/laughing! *preved*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
'Ere we go again ... personally and imho it would look better without the grooves on the front. Less busy, more blending into whatever systems people have. I do like the chamfered top though.

That is a very impressive power amplifier.

Maybe its just me.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
They are hugley powerful! Looks, Its all down to personel taste, I have to have a look though, rather than a bland slab! Im developing a discreate input stage and you will be able to tune the sound with various OP Amps.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Not bad for a bloke in a shed! Second image is pre production prototype hence the finish is not so good but needed shot with LED on! Knackered. Done another veneered front in Santos Rosewood looks stunning. I coined the words "it almost looks proffesional" I then realised I hadn't milled the veneer over the mounting holes! Job for tomorrow me thinks. But then this is what this thread is all about, the journey. Enjoy, more pics tomorrow.

a11d4731-c5da-4243-b823-ed81acd90965_zpsd3uql0dz.jpg

NORD%20ONE%20MONO%20BLOCK%20LED%20SHOT%20REPLACE_zpsiugbekmi.jpg

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to getting my pair of Nord monoblocks when I get back from my holiday.

Also want thise uprated buffers later

TRENDING THREADS