Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
First coat of Osmo Polyx, 2 more to go then liquid wax. It really brings the grain out!

Second photo IPL M3M's in Ebony Macassar these babies have lived a life already, the guy I was using to build and veneer was dropping them at my house, sombody pulled out in front of him, braked sharply speakers fell ruined veneer. So my first job in the new workshop was rescueing them, they still need a last coat of Polyx and a liquid wax polish. I thought they were the worse IPL I had heard then they run in, and wow! Normal brilliance resumed. They look rather elegant on stands.

026_zpsrmjjb7ig.jpg

028_zps7hqce8nn.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Nearly finished! A slight design flaw with my magnetic grills, beacuse there is no bulky plastic plug and socket the grills are flush with the baffel the cloth will touch the driver, solution longer magnets petruding to give a 5mm clearance needed.

They are epic, I thought the S2 were good, they are so accurate and the scale is huge im just running through different songs trying! Though I'm not sure I could live with the size, would certainly have to have different stands. They are the size of Harbeth SHL5's. They are hugly enjoyable, I really dont want to lety them go!

003_zpsuloopvqh.jpg

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Nearly finished! A slight design flaw with my magnetic grills, beacuse there is no bulky plastic plug and socket the grills are flush with the baffel the cloth will touch the driver, solution longer magnets petruding to give a 5mm clearance needed.

They are epic, I thought the S2 were good, they are so accurate and the scale is huge im just running through different songs trying! Though I'm not sure I could live with the size, would certainly have to have different stands. They are the size of Harbeth SHL5's. They are hugly enjoyable, I really dont want to lety them go!

They look really sophisticated, boggit. Excellent job! *good*

(where will you put the iQ badge?)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes I really want to rebate the drivers, I have to negotiate this with IPL Ivan say it effect the accoustics but it would look so much better and I suspect with flush magnetic grills would be acoustically the same, a conversation to be had! The customer does not want a badge on the speakers which is a real shame.

Im listening now and shaking my head they are unbalivable!!!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the midbass drivers shouldn't be recessed for a good eye candy. The front baffle must be as thick and as innert as possible. Designers even add a thick mounting ring under the woofer so they time align the drivers without thining the baffle.

Awesome work on the cabinets and big thumbs up on the point to point wiring on the crossovers.
thumbs_up.gif
regular_smile.gif

Small-moving-animated-loudspeaker-pulsing-sound-waves-left.gif
12957486.gif
animated-loudspeaker-image-0024.gif

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi there don't normally dwell to long on this forum but was impressed by your dedication to what if and how far can I go with Loudspeaker ideaologies and wondered if you had ever heard a Polyphon? Luckily in Salcombe as part of the National Trust the Overbecks estate have a traditional German version which plays discs nearly twice the size of vinyl 12 inch records with a 2 minute duration of melody and relies only on a solid oak cabinet to reflect the sound outwards and astonishingly has no problem in filling a Mansion size room with a clear audible tune. As the unit has no configured speaker as I queried with the volunteer who stated the solid oak cabinet sufficed in producing this amazing sound. Would your interest include solid wood designs plus curved or triangle, hexagonal approach experimentations idc. Alas in Overbecks only copies of warped discs are played as recreated by enthusiasts but nontheless are spellbinding. If this is of no interest to your recent endeavours then I regret my intrusion.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Am really impressed with the work put in, & the quality of the speakers your putting together. Please if you dn't mind me asking, do you do these to order. I know your still in the early stage of production but this looks really impressive. *dirol*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Am really impressed with the work put in, & the quality of the speakers your putting together. Please if you dn't mind me asking, do you do these to order. I know your still in the early stage of production but this looks really impressive. *dirol*
Cheers NB Yes I build to order. 5-6 weeks though got these done in 4. As soon as I have all the demos built I'll make up cabinets ready for veneer or paint which should speed things up.

Frobisher

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Over the years I have used a variety of different stereo amps, av receivers and speakers including Monitor Audio Bronze, Dali Ikon, Cambridge Audio and Dali Zensor. I have ended up swapping equipment on numerous occasions because I enjoy the process of trying different things out.

Recently I decided that I should try spending some more money and see what something a little more expensive is like, so I sold some equipment and with the money from that bought an Abrahamsen amp and then started pondering what speakers I could use with them.

The number of speakers available is somewhat overwhelming and it makes choosing the right speaker quite hard, although in the end given the budget I had it was narrowed down to a few choices and I decided to go with the IPL Acoustics SM2 speakers.

I was intrigued by what DIY speakers would be like (probably the main reason for buying them) and spent some time reading what others had said about IPL speakers online before emailing Colin and asking questions about them. Once I was satisified with everything I placed an order and was told they would be ready within around 5 weeks. Of course I wasn’t able to hear them and it’s always a risk to buy speakers without hearing them but it was a risk I was prepared to take.

Colin provided regular updates along the way with plenty of photos of the speakers being built and a video. It was a nice touch and I found it fascinating to see how the speakers were put together.

Once the speakers were delivered I unpacked them and set them on their stands. They are heavy, feel really solid and the build quality is very high. The santos rosewood veneer looks great and is really well polished. To my eyes it looks like there’s been a lot of care and attention in building these speakers and the end result is great and certainly lives up to expectations. I think the finish of the speakers is incredibly close to what you would expect when buying from the big commercial brands. One final point about the build quality is the grills - they have been set up with magnets so they attach to the front of the speaker very easily and I even quite like the iQ Speakers logo. I normally don’t like badges but in this case it’s small, discreet and not shiny so turned out ideal.

Now onto the sound. I listened to several different CDs including artists like Karunesh, Craig Armstrong, Lesiem, Ane Brune, Dunedin Consort, Jackson Browne, First Aid Kit, Israel Nash, Sleepthief, Thea Gilmore, Amethystium, Dire Straits and Mike Oldfield. So lots of different kinds of music to hear. In the short time I’ve spent with them have been really impressed. It’s been a delight to sit back and listen to all this music. Everything just seems right and balanced regardless of what music I’m playing. That hasn’t always been in the case in the past with other speakers I’ve used where some have excelled with certain kinds of musics but not others. There’s also a great sense of scale and depth when the volume goes up. Also, the bass was something that was a slight concern prior to trying them out, but it’s turned out fine and seems controlled and powerful without booming which I did experience with some of my other speakers. I do find it hard to descibe how speakers sound but the main thing is I’m delighted with these speakers and believe the money has been well spent.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review and glad you like them and having faith in me just to add the Ribbon tweeter is the same as in the Monitor Audio flagship PL300 speakers £6500! Again thanks for taking the trouble to share sorry I missed the post.

BAMxyEwl.jpg

Frobisher said:
Over the years I have used a variety of different stereo amps, av receivers and speakers including Monitor Audio Bronze, Dali Ikon, Cambridge Audio and Dali Zensor. I have ended up swapping equipment on numerous occasions because I enjoy the process of trying different things out.

Recently I decided that I should try spending some more money and see what something a little more expensive is like, so I sold some equipment and with the money from that bought an Abrahamsen amp and then started pondering what speakers I could use with them.

The number of speakers available is somewhat overwhelming and it makes choosing the right speaker quite hard, although in the end given the budget I had it was narrowed down to a few choices and I decided to go with the IPL Acoustics SM2 speakers.

I was intrigued by what DIY speakers would be like (probably the main reason for buying them) and spent some time reading what others had said about IPL speakers online before emailing Colin and asking questions about them. Once I was satisified with everything I placed an order and was told they would be ready within around 5 weeks. Of course I wasn’t able to hear them and it’s always a risk to buy speakers without hearing them but it was a risk I was prepared to take.

Colin provided regular updates along the way with plenty of photos of the speakers being built and a video. It was a nice touch and I found it fascinating to see how the speakers were put together.

Once the speakers were delivered I unpacked them and set them on their stands. They are heavy, feel really solid and the build quality is very high. The santos rosewood veneer looks great and is really well polished. To my eyes it looks like there’s been a lot of care and attention in building these speakers and the end result is great and certainly lives up to expectations. I think the finish of the speakers is incredibly close to what you would expect when buying from the big commercial brands. One final point about the build quality is the grills - they have been set up with magnets so they attach to the front of the speaker very easily and I even quite like the iQ Speakers logo. I normally don’t like badges but in this case it’s small, discreet and not shiny so turned out ideal.

Now onto the sound. I listened to several different CDs including artists like Karunesh, Craig Armstrong, Lesiem, Ane Brune, Dunedin Consort, Jackson Browne, First Aid Kit, Israel Nash, Sleepthief, Thea Gilmore, Amethystium, Dire Straits and Mike Oldfield. So lots of different kinds of music to hear. In the short time I’ve spent with them have been really impressed. It’s been a delight to sit back and listen to all this music. Everything just seems right and balanced regardless of what music I’m playing. That hasn’t always been in the case in the past with other speakers I’ve used where some have excelled with certain kinds of musics but not others. There’s also a great sense of scale and depth when the volume goes up. Also, the bass was something that was a slight concern prior to trying them out, but it’s turned out fine and seems controlled and powerful without booming which I did experience with some of my other speakers. I do find it hard to descibe how speakers sound but the main thing is I’m delighted with these speakers and believe the money has been well spent.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
My latest and best made by far complete with magnetic grills. Thought I'd do somthing lighter for my demo pair American White Oak with polished Aluminium Outriggers. The workshop has really helped improve the quality and speed. This is the fastest and the, almost, first pair I've built that some aspect of the build I'm not slightly apolojetic about. All the customers so far have had a really good deal and been very accepting of the minor imperfections. These take the leval of finish to better than lots of commercial speakers I have viewed.

048_zpsullxm12n.jpg

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
My latest and best made by far complete with magnetic grills. Thought I'd do somthing lighter for my demo pair American White Oak with polished Aluminium Outriggers. The workshop has really helped improve the quality and speed. This is the fastest and the, almost, first pair I've built that some aspect of the build I'm not slightly apolojetic about. All the customers so far have had a really good deal and been very accepting of the minor imperfections. These take the leval of finish to better than lots of commercial speakers I have viewed.
WOW, that's looking really nice. If those sound as good as they look, your on to something really special.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They look a lot better with a white cone (even if the yellow matched the brass knobs of the amplifier).

Quite elegant really with those outriggers.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
They are the M1TLm the smallest transmission line Ivan does. They sound even better than they look! And DM likes them I'm on to something. Just the grills to finish and then I start my demo pair of the huge SM2, any suggestions for finish? Burr walnut? Or try and make them look smaller with stripes Zebrano?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts