Jazzland

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Nice to see you are back, Vlad. Hope all’s well. Been fairly typical here except for a few excursions into suicide.

Re ECM, I was a Jarret Koln Concert Concert many years ago. Took me a while to discover the background as to how his piano wasn’t the intended one.

Bought a few ECM LPs (Steve Kuhn was one I think) but never got really into them. Some interesting classical recordings too. A great label that enriched recorded music imo.

I'm a big Keith fan, I just don't say it in public. I'm surprised how many jazz fans think very little of him.

I never paid attention to Steve Kuhn, but I like Steve Tibbets (also ECM). Very asian spiritual feel to his music. I simply take a journey when I listen to one of his older albums.

tibbetts-steve-safe-journey-1984.jpg

Namaste.

Nice to see you are back, Vlad. Hope all’s well. Been fairly typical here except for a few excursions into suicide.

Re ECM, I was a Jarret Koln Concert convert many years ago. Took me a while to discover the background as to how his piano wasn’t the intended one.

Bought a few ECM LPs (Steve Kuhn was one I think) but never got really into them. Some interesting classical recordings too. A great label that enriched recorded music imo.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Two young british artists, first being Alfa Mist and his album Antiphon (March, 2017).

248729.jpg

And Yussef Kamaal's one year old Black Focus (November, 2016)

0008156826_10.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Mathias Eick's wonderful Midwest (2015).

MI0003847901.jpg

Four years after the song-like Skala, his sophomore ECM date that has attained "classic" status in European critical circles, he employs notions of history, folk tradition, and dislocation. This album was inspired by Eick's time spent playing the American continent; his tour began on the West Coast. When he entered the rural, upper Midwest and encountered its vast open spaces, he began to feel a sense of "home." He later learned that over the past two centuries of immigration, over a million Norwegians had settled there.

Gorgeous, vivid, restless.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Mathias Eick's wonderful Midwest (2015). 

Four years after the song-like Skala, his sophomore ECM date that has attained "classic" status in European critical circles, he employs notions of history, folk tradition, and dislocation. This album was inspired by Eick's time spent playing the American continent; his tour began on the West Coast. When he entered the rural, upper Midwest and encountered its vast open spaces, he began to feel a sense of "home." He later learned that over the past two centuries of immigration, over a million Norwegians had settled there.

Gorgeous, vivid, restless.

Eick is excellent.

Speaking of Norwegians I've been listening to Daniel Herskedal, a very inventive tubist.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
To expand my horizons
As I like alternative music
Can anyone give me some jazz on here but sort of alternative sounding

Not happy or over excited?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Many have learned to like the genre by listening to these two albums first:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (modal jazz)

maxresdefault.jpg

Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert (solo piano improvisation, no premade composition)

56fee5534de070695a75eb99561f18a351d72c5e

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
To expand my horizons
As I like alternative music
Can anyone give me some jazz on here but sort of alternative sounding

Not happy or over excited?

Vlad already suggested some excellent albums.
ECM is a great label to search for perhaps more alternative stuff, so to speak.

I'd check out Jan Garbarek, Norwegian saxophonist extraordinaire. For instance My Song (with Keith Jarrett, Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen), or Rites in a different vein. He also has some brilliant albums with The Hilliard Ensemble (Officium and Officium Novum - for something completely different).

Also Norwegian is Terje Rypdal, a very avant garde kind of guitarist.

John Abercrombie (sadly passed away last August), Ralph Towner and Pat Metheny are world class guitarists. I'd try for instance Solstice, Timeless and Bright Size Life.

Anouar Brahem plays the oud and is excellent if you're looking for some soothing and atmospheric kind of music (never boring, at least for me).

There are loads of gems in ECM's catalogue and the recordings are usually top notch. Most of the stuff isn't mainstream and that's one of the reasons why I love the label.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Look into the ECM Records catalogue and the work of Manfred Eicher as a record producer. It's not available through streamers, only CDs. It has everything you want.

For starters try these.

Keith Jarrett: Koln Concert / Paris Concert / Sun Bear Concerts

Arvo Pärt: Tabula Rasa

Manu Katché: Neighbourhood

John Surman: The Amazing Adventures of Simon Simon

Nik Bärtsch's Ronin: Llyrìa

Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians

Jan Garbarek: Dresden: In Concert

"Dresden" is great.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Flecktones owe more to bebop than bluegrass, and here the group finally names their style "blu-bop." That's why Flight of the Cosmic Hippo topped the jazz, not the country, chart. The Flecktones continue to make it look easy, adding banjo power chords to "Turtle Rock" and reworking Lennon/McCartney's "Michelle."

NaXLVC9EteXYH85891VdcQX1lAHdFywWQkJhasx_RaSKh3QZGTq59S5NZFQqq4UtA5_GohC3A1o=s512-c-e100-rwu-v1

Turtle Rock

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
"Perhaps the single album that best sums up Bobby Hutcherson's early musical personality, Components is appropriately split into two very distinct halves. The first features four Hutcherson originals in a melodic but still advanced hard bop style, while the latter half has four free-leaning avant-garde pieces by drummer Joe Chambers. Hutcherson allots himself more solo space than on Dialogue, but that's no knock on the excellent supporting cast, which includes Herbie Hancock on piano, James Spaulding on alto sax and flute, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, and Ron Carter on bass."

MI0001993337.jpg

Tranquillity

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts