Jazzland

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Wynton Marsalis - Live at the House of Tribes
wwwmessentoolscom-frutas-drums.gif
trumpet-127.gif
kicking.gif

Whole club is on fire...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Jeremy Pelt formed a new quintet prior to the making of November, featuring tenor saxophonist JD Allen, pianist Danny Grissett, bassist Dwayne Burno, and drummer Gerald Cleaver. Just 31 at the time of the sessions, Pelt has developed into one of the top trumpeters of his generation, developing a distinctive sound of his own.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Spinnin Electro's recommends now.

MI0002904623.jpg

Lomsha on Air Hadouk is spine tingling good. I love this style of French-Maghreb fusion jazz trios.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Jazz Record Requests Saturdays at 4 is a good place for new (to my ears) stuff. In the meantime:

The Prophetic - Herbie Nichols

Quiet Winter Night - Hoffman Emsemble

New Bottles, Old Wine - Gil Evans

Further Definitions - Benny Carter

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
marou said:
Jazz Record Requests Saturdays at 4 is a good place for new (to my ears) stuff. In the meantime:

The Prophetic - Herbie Nichols

Quiet Winter Night - Hoffman Emsemble

New Bottles, Old Wine - Gil Evans

Further Definitions - Benny Carter

Awesome selection. *ok* Will give these full plays next.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Steve Coleman's achievement in creating a musical environment for serious improvising that sets aside acoustic, swing-based rhythms for electric, funk-influenced ones that don't fall prey to repetitive fusion formulas is one of the great creative accomplishments in jazz over the last 20 years. The Tao of Mad Phat, recorded live in the studio before a small invited audience in an attempt to capture the looseness and ambience of the Five Elements' live performances, may be the ideal entry point to sampling that criminally underrated feat.

Guest appearance on trumpet by Roy Hargrove.

MI0001703839.jpg

No, it's not The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air soundtrack. Trust me.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Guardian's 50 great moments in jazz: Stan Tracey's Under Milk Wood and the rise in British jazz - By the 60s, British jazz no longer sounded like an American clone. Among the works that took the genre to new heights, Stan Tracey's Under Milk Wood still reigns supreme. Read full article

MI0003020364.jpg

Stan Tracey Starless and Bible Black w/ Bobby Wellins 1965 Columbia records

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MI0003266135.jpg

BBC Review - Stanko's writing throughout is exquisite...

With his last few ECM albums, Tomasz Stanko has been on a roll, consistently producing jazz of the very highest standard. Albums such as Leonia, Litania and From the Green Hill were recorded with a variable cast, including such well-known names as Bobo Stenson, Tony Oxley, John Surman and Terje Rypdal. Here, by contrast, Stanko has decided to feature the young Polish rhythm section with whom he has played since 1994 - Marcin Wasilewski on piano, Slawomir Kurkiewicz on bass and Michal Miskiewicz on drums. The results are the equal of any of those earlier albums, maintaining their level of creativity and surpassing them in the beauty of the music.

John Eyles

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I was about to comment how this is excellent retirement home party music, but then Egil 'Bop' Johansen did a drum solo on

Blimey.... sounds good.

insider9

Good double compilation album to start your journey with already mentioned Arne Domnerus, which I also highly rate. Standout track #4 "Blowing in the Wind" (yes, that one, but not like you've ever heard it before)

0822359020498.jpg

Spotify link

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts