Jazzland

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Sorry Cno, the image didn't copy. The Bluenote top 25.

Are you familiar with Jacques Loussier?

If not, I recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/tn0/Toccata-Play-Bach-Jacques-Loussier/B00004LCBQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1489163102&sr=1-10&keywords=jacques%20loussier&tag=whhifi-21

41JxgV5lZkL._SX425_.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:
Sorry Cno, the image didn't copy. The Bluenote top 25.

Are you familiar with Jacques Loussier?

If not, I recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/tn0/Toccata-Play-Bach-Jacques-Loussier/B00004LCBQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1489163102&sr=1-10&keywords=jacques%20loussier&tag=whhifi-21

This is really interesing crossgenre concept.

EDIT: Oh man, I'm really liking this. Propper good jazz trio stuff.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
This is really interesing crossgenre concept.

EDIT: Oh man, I'm really liking this. Propper good jazz trio stuff.

Glad you like it....Everybody should have some of this in their collection. *dance4*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Currently have this in the background as I'm finishing up work from last night. Not half bad, I must say.

e591f9ac23643e131a63c37d28302ad7e26ebe0e

If you are too lazy to pick albums, give this jazz jukebox a chance.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Smoooth, that's what I needed on a Saturday morning. Was bobbing my head to this groove. *i-m_so_happy*

For those who've heard the other collaborations between Jamie Saft[/b] and Bobby Previte[/b], The New Standard will be a genuine surprise. In a trio setting with veteran Steve Swallow[/b] on electric bass, these players deliver ten tunes that define what the album's title plainly states. Saft wrote most of the set while the trio jointly composed the rest. He plays piano on seven tunes and organ on three.

The New Standard delivers a series of memorable modern compositions based on older forms but doesn't revel in nostalgia or irony. It's obvious from the end result how much these three massively talented players love this music, and it's quite logical how in such an informal setting, they reveal just how much there is to be discovered and learned from in them.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Working with his band Zony Mash in an acoustic setting, Wayne Horvitz creates an album that is rich with flavor. From the introspective grace of "Ben's Music" to the sly tango of "In the Ballroom," the disc abounds with warmth and sensitivity. It's similar to the work of the Lounge Lizards in that it doesn't go by preconceptions of jazz, but uses the genre as a touchstone, venturing into everything from Eastern European motifs to surf guitar.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Lounge Lizards, led by neo-saxman John Lurie, were best known for their outsider approach to bop. This is perhaps their best work, filled with humor and a solid melodic sensibility. Marc Ribot's angular guitar and the complement of Evan Lurie's piano make the disc a particular delight.

insider9

Vladimir said:
Currently have this in the background as I'm finishing up work from last night. Not half bad, I must say.

e591f9ac23643e131a63c37d28302ad7e26ebe0e

If you are too lazy to pick albums, give this jazz jukebox a chance.

Vladimir, superb thread. Been listening to a number of the albums mentioned and no doubt will listen to all in the end.

My contribution will be albums of the very lady on the picture above - Esperanza Spalding. Hands down my favourite modern artist and I'm not talking jazz only! She's as eclectic as they come so worth listening to all five of her albums before making your mind up. I'd suggest listening in order of release starting from 2006 Junjo as the journey she's been on is quite special. You can actually see how her confidence is growing with every release.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir, superb thread. Been listening to a number of the albums mentioned and no doubt will listen to all in the end.

Agreed....and if Vladimir has no objection, it would be good to get feedback from anyone has discovered something new as a result, listing what it is.

It's great to know one has helped expand someone's collection.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Doky Brothers

https://open.spotify.com/album/4FFc8U4MEKZa1jQBj29eNc

stand out track featuring Diane Reeves cover of Waiting in vane

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Matthew Halsall - On the Go .

https://open.spotify.com/album/1pBVzbZMxcvUQwgDmRwpZb

WHAT A TAKE OFF!!! *yahoo**dash1**clapping*

"On the Go was jazz album of the year at Gilles Peterson's Worldwide awards in 2012..."

MI0003175343.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

Agreed....and if Vladimir has no objection, it would be good to get feedback from anyone has discovered something new as a result, listing what it is.

It's great to know one has helped expand someone's collection.

Absolutely no problem. Talk jazz releases, old jazz, new jazz, legendary, under the radar, concerts, bar gigs, best hifi gear for jazz, I'm interested in all of it. Or sometimes we don't have to say anything, just let it play.

This On The Go is ultra. Bloody hell...

1.jpg

"If I could watch any jazz band in the UK, any, I would choose Matthew Halsall's band, just love what he's been doing over the last few years... It's always high level, spiritual jazz music" - Gilles Peterson, BBC Radio 6

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts