iTunes library to mp3 player

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm sure that this has been covered before, but hope someone can help me....
All my digital music is stored on my iTunes, in Apple lossless.
How do I transfer a playlist to the Sony mp3 players we use in our cars, as it's obviously a different format...?
As in previous posts, I remind people I have limited PC abilities, so be very gentle and simple in any explanations offered.
Thanks in anticipation of any help....regards Richard.....

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Do you have Pc or Mac?

Download an appropriate file converter (XLD for Mac) and follow the instructions for use. This will then convert the ALAC files to a lossy compressed format, ie mp3. You will need to select a destination folder and then you can copy it or its contents to a usb pen drive or mp3 player.

Basically, you drag and drop your music files from wherever they are, into XLD and it will do all the work for youe, once it is set.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
Do you have Pc or Mac?

Download an appropriate file converter (XLD for Mac) and follow the instructions for use. This will then convert the ALAC files to a lossy compressed format, ie mp3. You will need to select a destination folder and then you can copy it or its contents to a usb pen drive or mp3 player.

Basically, you drag and drop your music files from wherever they are, into XLD and it will do all the work for youe, once it is set.

Hi Overdose, thank you for the reply.

I use a Sony Vaio laptop with an external HD, to store my iTunes library.
As explained before I am really PC 'thick', so anything 'digital' stumps me......Richard.....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You can convert your tracks to MP3 using iTunes. If you go into the Preferences and change the Import format to MP3, you will then able to right click on tracks you want and choose Convert to MP3. You can then drag these songs out of iTunes and on to the Sony MP3 player.

The issue with this is you'll have duplicate copies of your music in your library i.e. both MP3 and Lossless. You can filter this using Smart Playlists, but it's not ideal. You could separate them out into a separate iTunes library, but this is also a bit of a faff - in the long term it would be the better option I think though.

If you do the above, remember to go back and change your import preferences back to Apple Lossless so that new imports are put into the right format ;)

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
I have this idea that there was an option to convert lossless files to a mp3 format when uploading tracks from a playlist to a mp3 player.

However, when i looked for this recently, I couldn't find the option. If I am not imagining the function, perhaps some kind forumite will have the answer for us.

Steve

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
You can convert your tracks to MP3 using iTunes. If you go into the Preferences and change the Import format to MP3, you will then able to right click on tracks you want and choose Convert to MP3. You can then drag these songs out of iTunes and on to the Sony MP3 player.

The issue with this is you'll have duplicate copies of your music in your library i.e. both MP3 and Lossless. You can filter this using Smart Playlists, but it's not ideal. You could separate them out into a separate iTunes library, but this is also a bit of a faff - in the long term it would be the better option I think though.

If you do the above, remember to go back and change your import preferences back to Apple Lossless so that new imports are put into the right format ;)

There is a way around that of course, just change the destination folder for the compressd (mp3 files). If your library is not too big, you could just wipe it and rescan the folder containng the lossless files.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Mr Steve said:
I have this idea that there was an option to convert lossless files to a mp3 format when uploading tracks from a playlist to a mp3 player. However, when i looked for this recently, I couldn't find the option. If I am not imagining the function, perhaps some kind forumite will have the answer for us.Steve

Mr Steve said:
I have this idea that there was an option to convert lossless files to a mp3 format when uploading tracks from a playlist to a mp3 player.

However, when i looked for this recently, I couldn't find the option. If I am not imagining the function, perhaps some kind forumite will have the answer for us.

Steve

I think you mean the the option availble for iPods / iPhones which actually downconverts to 128 kbps AAC format. When connected via USB, find your iDevice in iTunes, then under the Options section on the Summary tab, tick the box which says Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts