itunes library from HD to NAS

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, just setting up my first streaming system and initially I will use itunes from the external HD I have currently with all my music stored on. I intend to invest in a NAS so I dont have to have the PC switched on all the time, but how easy is it to transfer my itunes library from my HD to a NAS.

I was hoping I could simply copy across and then change the path settings in itunes.

Am i likely to have to create a new library ? will I lose anything ? Also, will my sonos connect easily find my music in itunes ?

Advice please.....thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
lbafsaj said:
Hi all, just setting up my first streaming system and initially I will use itunes from the external HD I have currently with all my music stored on. I intend to invest in a NAS so I dont have to have the PC switched on all the time, but how easy is it to transfer my itunes library from my HD to a NAS.

I was hoping I could simply copy across and then change the path settings in itunes.

Yup, should be as easy as that - see WHF's video.

lbafsaj said:
Also, will my sonos connect easily find my music in itunes ?

Yes, just make sure the top level folder where your iTunes library is shared, then point the Sonos at:

<Your NAS Name><Your shared music folder>Music

and it will see the music fine.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, I moved my iTunes library from my laptop to a NAS (and the laptop died a week later; a lucky move indeed!), and pointed Sonos to the new location: no issues (Well, not after ProfessorHat helped me solve a password issue -- thanks again, Prof :)).

But having done this, my iTunes playlists are no longer working. I suppose the items in the playlist point to a file on a location, and having changed the location, it (iTunes? Sonos?) can't find the files anymore: no music. Is there an elegant way to solve that?

Note: I can use the iTunes-playlists in Spotify. Doing so, I often get new (live) versions of well-known songs, which mostly makes for a pleasant surprise!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts