Choosing a 600 EUR network player (to connect to a NAS and watch movies)

stezzo

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello to everyone,

I have been reading many reviews and forum threads on this website. After some days of search I would like to ask you which "all-in-one" network player with the following characteristics you would suggest:

1) the main use would be to listen to mp3 and flac files stored on a Raspberry Pi configured as NAS. Hence, sound quality and ease of everyday use (not necessarily of initial set up) is crucial. With respect to the latter, I would like to be able to easily build shuffle playlists of my media library (possibly also from my laptop).

2) I would like to connect the system to my TV. I am not interested in a sophisticated surround system (my idea is to buy two speakers only). I am not interested in setting up a multi-room system either.

3) vynil player and, for the future, projector connection.

4) Spotify support and possibly Bluetooth.

My budget is 1100 euros including the 2 speakers. So I would leave 500-600 euros for the network player.

As I said, I made some research and the result is that I am a bit confused! At the beginning I was almost sure about the Cambridge audio Minx Xi: good sound, it seems to have all the features I need, it's compact and without too many exits (that otherwise I would end up not using).

Alternatively the Marantz M-CR610 could be a good choice.

After going on searching, it seems that in some cases for a similar price I could have "more". I list some of the options I shortlisted:

- Marantz NA6005

- Pioneer N50

- Sony STRDN860 or STRDN1060; Yamaha RX-V677; Onkyo TX-NR515 (I can't decide which one better suits my needs and I'm afraid they offer too much connectivity that I will never use.)

Are the above options better than the Cambridge with respect of the above point 1? In case sound and app quality are similar in all the above models, the aesthetic and compactness if the Cambridge Minx Xi is very tempting.

How would you proceed? Any help is highly appreciated!

best,

Stefano

stezzo

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
If you're looking to output to 2 screens (TV and projector) then an AV receiver with 2 outputs makes sense.

I've shortlisted the Yamaha R-N500 and the Marantz M-CR610. Actually I've read that the newer M-CR611 version is on the way (still can't find it online), and it will have 2 optical inputs as the Yamaha. So in terms of exits, both would be ok for my needs.

In terms of sound, assuming that the M-CR611 will sound similar to the M-CR610, what do you think it's better, the Marantz or the Yamaha? My problem is that I can't find the Yamaha R-N500 in the shops in town here. I'll buy online but first I wanted to listen to some tracks before deciding.. since apparently I can't, which would you suggest?

Thanks,

S.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts