Itunes Library on ReadyNas

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Bought a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo on Thursday with a view to moving my Itunes library onto it and using that to stream to the squeezeboxes throughout the house. All that now works (teething issues not needing to be mentioned here).

Sooooo, i decided i could try and keep my main library on the NAS (rather than keeping it on main PC and syncing the libraries once a week, which wouldn't really be a big hassle, but i like the idea of being able to play with my main library from laptop).

But accessing the itunes library makes everything take an age. A song will take 5-10 secs (to locate? to buffer?) before playing, and if i skip tracks i get the same again. Not exactly ideal.

Anyone have any ideas?

(The squeezebox setup works perfectly, no lag whatsoever).

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I tried the readynas with itunes on a windows pc and it struggled to even keep a wireless connection! BUT my readynas/squeezebox setup is perfect as you say. I would continue to keep a second library on the pc purley for itunes then at least you dont need both machines on when you want to listen to music off itunes.

Hope this helps.

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
That's kinda the decision i'd arrived at, and seems to be the general consensus throughout the internet.

Things that logically should work but just don't aren't half annoying!

(It's worth the asking price alone to be able to listen to music 24/7 without having the PC on though.)

Many thanks for your assistance.

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Just in case it helps anyone:

Decided to add a switch to my modem and connect a lot of things with cable rather than via the wireless. The lag in accessing itunes library on NAS is now no different from having it on the local drive.

A

Anonymous

I have just purchased a WD Live TV media player and will use it to stream itunes from a WD Worldbook NAS.

It doesn't look like the WD TV supports Apple Lossless (It lists MP3, WAV, PCM, LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF, AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital and DTS as compatible formats) so what format should I save my itunes library in to obtain the best sound?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts