Itunes doing my head in - Basic question, apologies now.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Right,

Still a bit new to this, even though i have been ripping cd's for ages now.

How do i sort out my itunes libary in simpleton terms ?

If I rip a cd / album by one artist who has alot of "Featured with" tracks, how do I get them consildated to show those tracks as one album ? What setting do I need to apply please ?

For example - any hip hop album - say Kanye West for example - dont want seperate individual tabs for one album ? Im sure you know what I mean but its doing my head in ?

I do not want a complicated, pay for this tool answer please.

Getting on a bit so please keep it simple.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Sounds to me like you want to create a playlist that'll be read worldwide like...

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Not really,

Appreciate the prompt reply but thats not what I mean. Perhaps Im not explaining enough or I just have really bad ocd !

When I go to Itunes on my pc, I always select music and have quite a few albums artwork displayed of one album, then aload of itunes music note symbols with tracks on the same album but featuring different artists. Basically I dont want them seperate but in the one tidied gracenote artwork album single listing. Few, that was hard work.

Hope that makes more sense ? Had a few !

A

Anonymous

Right it's long hogg but I think it's possibly the simplest way,

Select what songs you want to put into a genre, press 'control i' then type in the album name for that artist. If the Album artists conflicts with the album name then you need to delete that too.

SteveR750

This sounds like a similar isue I had with J River - for example an album of say 20 tracks by various artists was being catalogued as 20 separate albums. This was because some compilation albums file names are artist/track.flac whereas others are various/artist/track.flac.

Is this what you are saying?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually no.

Its just one artist / one album but being listed as loads of different tracks ? Maybe thats how it should be but its not how my ocd likes it ! I want one album to index as one album regardless of how many "guest artists" are featuring on one album ? Now do you get what I mean ? God im getting old !!!

A

Anonymous

Right dude you gotta hit 'control A' for all those tracks you want selected then just pounce on the rest of the tracks, I'm listenting to them now. Music is special.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Your girlfriend is indeed right so thanks, finally sorted.

Control i or get info - Duplicate artist name in artist album. Job done.

Give her a big kiss with that horrible moustache as a thanks ! Cheers.

A

Anonymous

I spent Two hours last night trying to do the same thing, my songs from albums all over the place, I was listening to Clubland 18 on shuffle and a couple of songs in Shirley Bassey started singing, thank god my mates were not in the Van.

I went to file and clicked on get info and did it manually, panefull !! There must be an easier way probably through playlist.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Assuming you are on a Mac, select all the album tracks and use Command I (on Windows use whatever command to get the info page open).

In Album Artist type in the Main artist name and it will populate all the tracks.

Then in the main iTunes window select "Album by Artist" as the sorting method. That should do it.

If not, the other method to fail back on is to select all the tracks and tick "Part of a Compilation" in the options page.

John Duncan

DavieCee:the other method to fail back on is to select all the tracks and tick "Part of a Compilation" in the options page

emotion-21.gif

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
you are right i-tunes is very user un-friendly. Anyone have a good alternative software product that is compatible with i-players?

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
jcshutts:you are right i-tunes is very user un-friendly. Anyone have a good alternative software product that is compatible with i-players?

Please clarify?

I put a CD in, rip it and play it. How much easier can it be?

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
staggerlee:likewise - cd in - ripped and it works - what's the problem ?

the post is about how you can manage your files - for example dragging song from the same artist into the same folder - it can't be done, you have to try and tweak the info section to make the two match before they will merge into one.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
jcshutts:
staggerlee:likewise - cd in - ripped and it works - what's the problem ?

the post is about how you can manage your files - for example dragging song from the same artist into the same folder - it can't be done, you have to try and tweak the info section to make the two match before they will merge into one.

I gave an answer on how to do this on page one of this thread. All my compilation CDs or CDs with guest artists come in fine.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I know thank you. I have noted the advice I was merely agreeing that it isn't the easiest software I have come across and wondered if there was an alternative. I have got the 'house' in order and all my folders are in neat piles under the appropriate artist, so I am content with the software. thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts