iTunes and Windows 7

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I will be getting a laptop in the near future to complete my computer based music system.The laptop will have windows 7 installed so I was wondering does iTunes work ok under windows 7?

A

Anonymous

basshound:I will be getting a laptop in the near future to complete my computer based music system.The laptop will have windows 7 installed so I was wondering does iTunes work ok under windows 7?

If it doesn't already it will soon. There will probably be teething problems with Windows 7 during a transition period but it will soon become the version that software companies develop and test against in the first instance.

A

Anonymous

not a problem apparently

http://www.examiner.com/x-14813-iPhone-Apps-Examiner~y2009m10d22-Windows-7-101-Is-the-iTunes-application-Windows-7-compatible

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
bwv572:I've just done a clean install of Windows 7 and it works fine. Same Here
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

is it worth getting over vista home basic?

only other person i know who has it seemed to think it didn't seem that new and exciting. (if an OS can be).

bwv572

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
I can't speak from home experience because I upgraded from XP on my three-year-old laptop. However, I use Vista in the office and it's terribly slow and resource-hungry. I suspect that an upgrade will be worth it just for improved speed, especially during start-up and shut-down.

A

Anonymous

We have two laptops in the house. One is an Advent that the other half bought without asking me about laptops first (need to stress that part haha). The other is an MSI GT725 gaming laptop.

Both have Vista and all I can say is the performance is at polar opposites. The Advent is sorely lacking in ram which makes the whole system a complete waste of time. My quad core laptop runs smoothly and like a dream to be honest.

By all accounts Windows 7 is less resource hungry but this is only really noticeable with the machines that were lacking in power to begin with. In short, Id likely see significant improvements on the Advent but would see very little on the MSI.

I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 but having spent the whole weekend trying to get my Readynas Duo, iTunes, and the Squeezebox working I dont know if I can be hooped going through that again!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I noticed today that Curry's were offering the Samsung NC10 with W7. When I bought mine, it came with XP not Vista....so I suspect that W7 is a lot less resource hungry than Vista.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:I noticed today that Curry's were offering the Samsung NC10 with W7. When I bought mine, it came with XP not Vista....so I suspect that W7 is a lot less resource hungry than Vista.

Yes same here and yes it is a lot less resource hungry ,but the NC10 does not have a graphic card able to support Aero

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I think I can live without Aero.

I did notice that someone on other forum claimed that FB2K WASAPI plugin didn't work on W7.....but ASIO did.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:I think I can live without Aero. I did notice that someone on other forum claimed that FB2K WASAPI plugin didn't work on W7.....but ASIO did.

Me too , If get a resonable second hand laptop for Music/Foobar use maybe get 3 licence family pack and upgrade all 3 . I'm using ASIO at moment since NC10 & my PC are XP but will bear that in mind when time comes.

A

Anonymous

how much memory

the minimum for w7 is 1gb which means you really need 2gb as a minimum

whereas for xp its half that

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt put it as simply as memory (though you are right). The machines are ageing, do you plan to replace/upgrade them within 2 years? If so, Id hold off until you do.

On machines this age that are liable to failures and what not Id just sit with XP for time being and wait until wanting to upgrade/replace. W7 will have the usual teething problems and the experts still say wait a year before switching.

A

Anonymous

mentioned memory because my guess is that the dells have only 1gb so theyre not really ideal for w7 but yes there are other factors

ive been using rc on my mac and its fine although installing in bootcamp meant a bit of work so maybe ms have got it right for once otherwise waiting for 7.1 is good advice

im sticking with xp on the netbook which is less than a year old simply because xp is fast, stable and uses less memory however i would think with a year or therell be little choice so may change then

also the w7 advantages will be seen more on machines that had vista installed rather than xp so idc id leave things as jon35y says unless your one of the closet computer buffs who must have the latest

A

Anonymous

kena:
Download and run the upgrade advisor and see what it says....A loy of memory can't go wrong but if your only surfing/mail / spotify not that important..

but if your only doing that why bother upgrading at all

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Just d/l and ran the upgrade advisor (thanks for the clicky) on my vista desktop and it recommends uninstalling and re-installing iTunes before/after upgrade so worth bearing in mind if you`re considering upgrading to w7.Will be ordering laptop tommorrow and will let you know if I have any probs with w7 and iTunes.Edit-Just noticed that the w7 version on the soon to be laptop is 64 bit,does that throw a spanner in the works?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I `ve been having a bit of a look round the net and it seems there is a problem with windows 7 64 bit and iTunes,some say it won`t sync their `pods after install and some saying it won`t install at all.Apple seem to be ignoring or unaware of the problem as I can see no mention of it on the website.I have`nt ordered the laptop yet and am reluctant to do so until this issue is resolved,suppose I could go for a Vista laptop but would rather have the shiny new OS.

idc

one off:

also the w7 advantages will be seen more on machines that had vista installed rather than xp so idc id leave things as jon35y says unless your one of the closet computer buffs who must have the latest

Certainly not a closet buff and since the preceeding posts have suggested a potential problem with itunes I will leave W7 for the next laptops. Thanks to both of you.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Finally got my new laptop running windows 7 64 bit.First I ran windows update and got all the latest patches and then D/L Itunes 64 bit and all seems to be working well.The problems I read about with windows 7 and Itunes mostly seemed to be about ipod syncing issues and concerned earlier versions of Itunes.I don`t intend to use the laptop to sync the pods,will continue to use the desktop for this.Right,better get back to ripping,only another 200 albums to go........

knacker

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
well I now can get itunes to work on any of my purchased tv/movies under win 7 Ultimate 64bit. All I get is a grey screen with no sound

My "added" files ie my converted DVDs in mpeg4 play just perfect.

I am so p.o'd with this so would appreciate any thoughts

A

Anonymous

Not tried 7 and iTunes on my old iPod but it works fine with
iPhone. I am noticing it skipping alot more
playing over airport express though anyone else found this?

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:I think I can live without Aero.

I did notice that someone on other forum claimed that FB2K WASAPI plugin didn't work on W7.....but ASIO did.

i have no idea what this means...is it just me?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts