It will be a significant improvement?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
[size=3>HelloHello that the distance between speakers and the back wall is 15 cm (my space is very limited). So what I should do that the distance between speakers and the back wall is 15 cm (my space is very limited). So what I should do

Welcome dan

Firstly, how far from the wall are your speakers?

Secondly, I wouldn't change to Dyns if you're experiencing "boom". They are fantastic speakers but are pretty fussy about positioning. If your're MAs are about 12"-14" from the back wall then the Nad amp, known for heavy-handed bass, will be the culprit.

Experiement with speaker positioning. If that fails, look at something in the region of Arcam DIVA A65+ upwards: Arcam has a very detailed presentation with a smooth mid-band and a rounded signature. The added bonus is they love Monitor Audio speakers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
PP - Dan states the speakers are only 15cm away from the wall.

And the particular Dynaudios mentioned are specifically designed to be more flexible about positioning (just one of the reasons they won an Award from us). In fact our review explicity states: "These speakers are relatively unfussy about positioning - just place them around 15cm from a rear wall and they'll sound fine."

Dan - i'd advise you least temporarily move the speakers further into the room to see if the boom is cured - then we'll know if that's truly the cause or if there are other factors at play in your system.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Clare and PP for the quick response

The distance of the back wall is abut 15 cm.I try to move the speakers away(1 m) from wall,and the bass is right,but speakers is in the middle of the room...And about the room,i have no acoustic treatment.My first question is the Dynaudio dm2/6 (or 2/7) is more balanced in sound and the treble is more silky than the MA?Another question would be if Nad 326 manages Dyns well.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, so we know the boom is the speakers. We haven't reviewed the RX2s, but being as we noted that the smaller, RX1s worked at their best in free space, they're probably not ideal in your restricted set-up.

So the Dynaudios should be a better fit in terms of your room size. They also sound good on the end of a punchy amp, which your NAD is. (Though if you're looking for a smoother listen- without any loss in drive - Marantz's PM6003 is worth a listen; though i'd caution whether it would be a very incremental upgrade).

Is there a dealer near you who'd lend you a pair of Dynaudios for home audition (if you left a deposit)?

A

Anonymous

You really need some soft furnishings in your room though (maybe a rug, some curtains). From what I understand metal tweeters don't go over very well with hard surfaces.

I had the Ma rx6s and getting rugs/curtains helped some to tone down the fatigue.

A

Anonymous

What I feared...So i need to change my speaker,right?The Marantz is better to drive the Dyns then A-S500 or my actual Nad?Because i'm very sad with my actual setup and if there is any doubt about Nad i want to change it too.

Many thanks

P.S. I have no dealer of Dynaudio near me unfortunately

Hi dan 77

Firstly i'll suggest that you hold on to your NAD C326BEE. In addition to Dynaudio's superb DM 2/6 and DM 2/7 speakers i feel you also need to look at ATC's SCM7 monitors. The SCM7's with their closed box design and importantly flat and honest presenation helps position them close to walls without the LF in particular getting itself into a twist.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:

Hi dan 77

Firstly i'll suggest that you hold on to your NAD C326BEE. In addition to Dynaudio's superb DM 2/6 and DM 2/7 speakers i feel you also need to look at ATC's SCM7 monitors. The SCM7's with their closed box design and importantly flat and honest presenation helps position them close to walls without the LF in particular getting itself into a twist.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,unfortunately i have no possibility to lock and listen ATC.There is no dealer in my country.If you have another sugestion i'm glad to see it.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

dan 77:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I must say that I am new in hi-fi, and of course I have a problem that I hope will help me solve.
emotion-1.gif

Since 1 year ago,I have a Nad 326 bee with Monitor Audio RX2 (with a very solid stands),and speaker cables is made from copper.Music,(from disco to classical music) i listening from my laptop (FLAC or CD) via CA DacMagic,and QED performance 2 cable as interconnect.Living room is about 20 square meters.My problem is with the disappointing result meaning that the bass is too "boomy",the trebles is a little painful,metallic and overall I find them a fatiguing listen.I have to say that the distance between speakers and the back wall is 15 cm (my space is very limited). So what I should do to improve sound?If I change MA with Dynaudio dm 2 / 6 (or 2/7) will be a good thing?This Dyns are fussy about positioning? I listened to some Dynaudio speakers in the past and I like it. Or should I upgrade my amp to Yamaha a-s500?Or both?

Thank you in advance

P. S. I apologize for my English

i know exactly what you mean re. the metallic, fatiguing sound from the monitor audio rx's, i had a pair of rx6's for 6 months and good as they were i couldn't live with them, but my room is quite hard and reflective so it may not have been totally the fault of the speakers.

a change to dynaudio dm 2/7s has been a revelation for me, i love them, no boom just nice tight bass which is deep too. no harshness or listener fatigue either, the treble is very detailed yet silky smooth, and there's a wider soundstage, more seperation between instruments, imo they are fantastic speakers..

i've had mine right up against a wall with no boom at all. i run mine with an as-500 btw, though as rick said the c326bee may be perfectly good enough, they are 4ohm speakers but an easy load..

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:dan 77:

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I must say that I am new in hi-fi, and of course I have a problem that I hope will help me solve.
emotion-1.gif

Since 1 year ago,I have a Nad 326 bee with Monitor Audio RX2 (with a very solid stands),and speaker cables is made from copper.Music,(from disco to classical music) i listening from my laptop (FLAC or CD) via CA DacMagic,and QED performance 2 cable as interconnect.Living room is about 20 square meters.My problem is with the disappointing result meaning that the bass is too "boomy",the trebles is a little painful,metallic and overall I find them a fatiguing listen.I have to say that the distance between speakers and the back wall is 15 cm (my space is very limited). So what I should do to improve sound?If I change MA with Dynaudio dm 2 / 6 (or 2/7) will be a good thing?This Dyns are fussy about positioning? I listened to some Dynaudio speakers in the past and I like it. Or should I upgrade my amp to Yamaha a-s500?Or both?

Thank you in advance

i know exactly what you mean re. the metallic, fatiguing sound from the monitor audio rx's, i had a pair of rx6's for 6 months and good as they were i couldn't live with them, but my room is quite hard and reflective so it may not have been totally the fault of the speakers.

a change to dynaudio dm 2/7s has been a revelation for me, i love them, no boom just nice tight bass which is deep too. no harshness or listener fatigue either, the treble is very detailed yet silky smooth, and there's a wider soundstage, more seperation between instruments, imo they are fantastic speakers..

i've had mine right up against a wall with no boom at all. i run mine with an as-500 btw, though as rick said the c326bee may be perfectly good enough, they are 4ohm speakers but an easy load..

Thank you for reply maxflinn,and i have a question for you,since you have Dynaudio DM.In my case i'm sure my speakers must be replaced.The problem is the dealer who have Dyns in not in my region and DM 2/7 is out of stock(only 2/6 is available).Why do you chose the DM 2/7 over the 2/6?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Apologies for semi-hilacking the thread but the DM 2/7's keep popping up with glowing - even gushing - reviews, and the WHF review emphasises their capabilities at high volumes, but how do they perform at low volumes? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

dan 77:maxflinn:dan 77:

Hello everyone,

emotion-1.gif

Thank you in advance

Thank you for reply maxflinn,and i have a question for you,since you have Dynaudio DM.In my case i'm sure my speakers must be replaced.The problem is the dealer who have Dyns in not in my region and DM 2/7 is out of stock(only 2/6 is available).Why do you chose the DM 2/7 over the 2/6?
well seeing as i was going from floorstanders to standmounts i thought i might prefer the slightly more bassier sound the 2/7s put out compared to the 2/6s.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:Apologies for semi-hilacking the thread but the DM 2/7's keep popping up with glowing - even gushing - reviews, and the WHF review emphasises their capabilities at high volumes, but how do they perform at low volumes? Thanks.

very well imo, they sound great at any volume to be honest, great for movies too
emotion-21.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
dan 77:
The distance of the back wall is abut 15 cm.I try to move the speakers away(1 m) from wall,and the bass is right,but speakers is in the middle of the room...And about the room,i have no acoustic treatment

I would say then it's an acoustic problem in the room and not a system mismatch and changing components wont solve the problem but will cost you money. If it was a system mismatch you would hear the problem wherever the speakers are placed. I would look at some acoustic measures before delving too deeply into your pockets.

A

Anonymous

To shooter69

Well, I consider this issue, thanks
emotion-1.gif

To maxflinn-do you have treated your room in any way?
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

shooter69:dan 77:
The distance of the back wall is abut 15 cm.I try to move the speakers away(1 m) from wall,and the bass is right,but speakers is in the middle of the room...And about the room,i have no acoustic treatment

I would say then it's an acoustic problem in the room and not a system mismatch and changing components wont solve the problem but will cost you money. If it was a system mismatch you would hear the problem wherever the speakers are placed. I would look at some acoustic measures before delving too deeply into your pockets.

true enough i guess shooter, but my room is exactly the same as it was when i had my rx6s, and i no longer have any bass boom or harshness in the highs and can listen to music all day long instead of for short periods before fatigue kicks in..

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:shooter69:dan 77:

true enough i guess shooter, but my room is exactly the same as it was when i had my rx6s, and i no longer have any bass boom or harshness in the highs and can listen to music all day long instead of for short periods before fatigue kicks in..

Could be both your's and Dan room's are similar acoustically though the RX2 and RX6 are different beast's.

Acoustically treating a room would be a cheaper option and there are one or two threads on this forum with some good inexpensive treatments, worth a look.

A

Anonymous

I put in curtains and rugs and they helped acoustically when people in my room talk to each other. However, did not help with the ma rx6 speakers.

Could be the source in my case.... not sure 100%.

I'm now running rega rs5s (which are also supposed to be forward) but I don't have any fatigue, even listening to the horns in Kind of Blue album.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:shooter69:dan 77:

I tend to agree with Max, if the speakers have been repositioned and the boominess disappears, then for that aspect it does'nt suggest room accoustics. Whether adding some room accoustic treatment will solve a listening fatigue problem long term is debatable; as it sounds like a general user listening preferences mismatch. But as Shooter said, this approach as a first step may reap adequate cost effective benefits. If no success, then why not consider speaker options which may produce a 'smoother' sound with your existing kit as step 2?

Nick

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if the sound is boomy with speakers near the wall, but not when they are away from the wall, then your speakers don't like being near a wall. normally dyn's like lots of power and lots of space, the dm range seems to address this according to magazine and user reviews. unless i've missed it, you don't say how your room is furnished, if you have hard flooring then a nice thick rug in between you and the speakers can really improve the sound, and make it less fatiguing.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for advices.I have cleared,i must change the speakers because don't want to add acoustic treatment in my listening room (my wife does not agree)

A

Anonymous

Sorry,another thing-i just called on Dynaudio dealer and they don't have DM range for the moment,Excite X12 only.I want to know from you if the phrase "These speakers are relatively unfussy about positioning - just place them around 15cm from a rear wall and they'll sound fine" also apllies to the Excite X12 series

Many thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm afraid not - that was a direct quote from the review of the Dynaudio 2/6 speakers.

We test each pair of speakers in a range of positions to try and get the best from them (regardless of manufacturer claims).

So, in the case of the Dynaudio Excite X12, we found they worked best in free space - more room than you're going to be able to give them in your set-up, i'm afraid. Review here.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
I'm afraid not - that was a direct quote from the review of the Dynaudio 2/6 speakers.

We test each pair of speakers in a range of positions to try and get the best from them (regardless of manufacturer claims).

So, in the case of the Dynaudio Excite X12, we found they worked best in free space - more room than you're going to be able to give them in your set-up, i'm afraid. Review here.

slightly off topic, but is the same true for the floorstanders? Can the Dm 3/7 do with less space than the Xcite range?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts