Issues with new P6/Ania Pro

therift72

May 2, 2021
Visit site
I just upgraded my 2005 Rega P3/Elys2 for a new Rega PL6 with the Ania Pro cartridge. Running it through a Vincent PHO-700 phono amp (MM/MC) and into a Naim Uniti Atom, and out of a pair of Rega RS5 speakers. I set the TT up, levelled it, balanced the tone arm, set VTF to 1.75g with the tonearm dial, and the antiskate approximately to the same value.

Right out the gate, I'm getting some distortion, but more importantly I have to turn the Atom up to 100 to get ANY sound out of the TT. Something is not right and its heartbreaking to not get the sound I expected out of a $2500 turntable. Any ideas welcome.

Set VTF to 1.9 and actually measure it, not using the inaccurate tonearm dial.
the Vincent may not have enough gain for this low output cartridge
question: is the Vincent actually set to MC?
I just upgraded my 2005 Rega P3/Elys2 for a new Rega PL6 with the Ania Pro cartridge. Running it through a Vincent PHO-700 phono amp (MM/MC) and into a Naim Uniti Atom, and out of a pair of Rega RS5 speakers. I set the TT up, levelled it, balanced the tone arm, set VTF to 1.75g with the tonearm dial, and the antiskate approximately to the same value.

Right out the gate, I'm getting some distortion, but more importantly I have to turn the Atom up to 100 to get ANY sound out of the TT. Something is not right and its heartbreaking to not get the sound I expected out of a $2500 turntable. Any ideas welcome.
The Elys 2 is a moving magnet and the Ania is a moving coil with low output. Check settings on the Vincent.

therift72

May 2, 2021
Visit site
The Vincent's Specs are as follows:

• Frequency Response: 10 Hz – 20 kHz
  • Harmonic Distortion: < 0.05 % (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
  • Input Sensitivity: MM: 58 mV, MC: 6.8 mV
  • Signal-Noise Ratio: MM: > 81 dB, MC: > 69 dB
  • Input Impedance: MM: 47 kOhm, MC: 99 - 1000 Ohm (adjustable)
  • Input Capacity: MM: 15 pF - 350 pF (adjustable), MC: 15 pF
  • Output Impedance: 250 Ohm
  • Amplification Factor: MM: 40 dB, MC: 60 dB

View attachment 2394
[/QUOTE]

The Vincent is set to MC. I double checked. I will check with my dealer on the low output issue.
I see, if that is so the Vincent should have enough output, having read about it. It should be bringing signal up to line level so issue may be further up the chain.
I assume it was fine with your previous turntable?
if it was then the Vincent may be faulty.

I see, if that is so the Vincent should have enough output, having read about it. It should be bringing signal up to line level so issue may be further up the chain.
I assume it was fine with your previous turntable?
if it was then the Vincent may be faulty.
I also note the input sensitivity of the Vincents MC input may be the issue as your cartridge only outputs 0.35mv, the 6.8mv is only likely to come from a high output moving coil, which yours isn't.

therift72

May 2, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for this - I agree, it may be that the Vincent doesn't have the output for this cartridge. It worked fine with the Elys2 but as we've already noted, that an MM and much less sensitive.

I have my dealer coming to review tomorrow and I'll see what they say - worse case I'll switch out the Vincent for a Rega Fono MC.

They may not be exactly comparable, however your Vincent has 60dB of gain. Rega’s own Fono MC stage recommends high settings which equals 69.5dB of gain. Almost 10dB is huge in this context, and I suspect your Vincent hasn’t enough gain for this low output MC.

I looked at my Linn MC gain and that is 64dB so still a significantly more sensitive than the Vincent.

276618DA-9563-46D1-B193-45E64DE871D3.png

Reactions: therift72

therift72

May 2, 2021
Visit site
They may not be exactly comparable, however your Vincent has 60dB of gain. Rega’s own Fono MC stage recommends high settings which equals 69.5dB of gain. Almost 10dB is huge in this context, and I suspect your Vincent hasn’t enough gain for this low output MC.

I looked at my Linn MC gain and that is 64dB so still a significantly more sensitive than the Vincent.

View attachment 2395
Super helpful - thank you so much!! Happy to switch out the Vincent as it takes up too much space on my cabinet anyway.......

Reactions: Al ears

therift72

May 2, 2021
Visit site
hopefully they can provide something better than the Rega Fono MC.
replacing a £550 phono preamp with a £250 is not the way to go, in my humble opinion.
I'll see what they suggest but yes, the most obvious choice is the more expensive Rega Aria MKIII at $1495, but after having dropped $2500 on the TT, I may have to reel it in and stick with the less expensive option until I can replenish my funds. I'll weigh up my options when the time comes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts