Isolatton Products - what exists?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Its the Linear Power Supply powering part of the audio Pc thats my point of initial interest - placing the LPSU ontop of a thick slab of ploystyrene has made a positive difference - therefore a properly designed solution should benefit far greater

Thanks for the sensible suggestions - ordered the ion hair dryer and am hoping it will help with my hair loss therapy.

I have reposted the above to try and bring some sense back to the thread. The snake oil brigade do really get on my mits - why bother posting stick to threads you are more interested in, that you can bring positive messages to.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
ellisdj said:
Its the Linear Power Supply powering part of the audio Pc thats my point of initial interest - placing the LPSU ontop of a thick slab of ploystyrene has made a positive difference - therefore a properly designed solution should benefit far greater

Thanks for the sensible suggestions - ordered the ion hair dryer and am hoping it will help with my hair loss therapy.

The guy has 99.8% all time positive feedback on audiogon, why are you being so dismissive?

http://app.audiogon.com/users/geoffkait/feedbacks

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
No matter how strong the scientific argument and consensus among scientists there will always be people who reject the evidence. It happens on so many scientific topics, from climate change and vaccination to nuclear power and renewable energy. You only have to look at some of the comment threads on online articles: where scientists might agree with one position, it seems the majority of comment will stridently beg to differ. Well-established science is taken by many as just one of a range of possible viewpoints, no matter how credible – or incredible – those other viewpoints may be.

Source: http://schoolofthinking.org/2014/04/what-science-communicators-can-learn-from-listening-to-people/

Summary of tests carried out by various organisations here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths

This foo thing is harmless really when compared to some of the other irrational beliefs that some people have. It's interesting though why some folk are more susceptible than others.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
still going .........
smiley-yell.gif

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
ellisdj said:

I have reposted the above to try and bring some sense back to the thread. The snake oil brigade do really get on my mits - why bother posting stick to threads you are more interested in, that you can bring positive messages to.

Personally I just can't bear to see nonsense being promulgated. Others can speak for themselves.

Chris

PS I had to Google "hard knee house curve". Wonderful stuff.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
ellisdj said:
ellisdj said:

Personally I just can't bear to see nonsense being promulgated. Others can speak for themselves.

Chris

No Nonsense here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Hard knee house curve is based on solid facts - humans dont hear bass in a linear fashion, all say they want a flat freq reponse but the reality is the deeper the bass the more volume is needed for it be audible at the same volume. A flat freq response is not actually flat in how you hear it.

Therefore a curved bass setup actually works better - and followinng the advice you set it up to your ears

The hard knee house curve addresses the issue of bloated bass caused by a standard house curve - once you have your system setup like this I doubt you could ever go back as you could hear where the bass is severly lacking.

T

the record spot

I Googled "hifi isolation products". The results were a mix of links to places selling the same and would presumably give a better indication of what is on the market.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Wow that thing is crazy and butt ugly - thats a bit ott even for me

I had something more like this is mind
OK, now I'm more calibrated to your requirements, I'd recommend you try these:

mD3BfD_ovIy51Yg2dUvWDqg.jpg

Car tyre inner tubes under whatever boards are supporting your equipment, inflated to about the right pressure. You can buy them for £7. I've seen and heard this approach used with a £12,000 vinyl source.

Sometimes commonly available alternatives are at least as good as more expensive dedicated items.

TrevC

lindsayt said:
ellisdj said:
Wow that thing is crazy and butt ugly - thats a bit ott even for me

I had something more like this is mind
OK, now I'm more calibrated to your requirements, I'd recommend you try these:

mD3BfD_ovIy51Yg2dUvWDqg.jpg

Car tyre inner tubes under whatever boards are supporting your equipment, inflated to about the right pressure. You can buy them for £7. I've seen and heard this approach used with a £12,000 vinyl source.

Sometimes commonly available alternatives are at least as good as more expensive dedicated items.

The weirdest thing is he doesn't seem to have anything that needs to be acoustically isolated at all. :? .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
People dont read before writing - I am guilty of this as well but I have covered this several times

Read Bad Vibes in Stereophile - all products need isolating from themselves and other products.

Here we go again with the counter argument.....

TrevC

ellisdj said:
People dont read before writing - I am guilty of this as well but I have covered this several times

Read Bad Vibes in Stereophile - all products need isolating from themselves and other products.

Here we go again with the counter argument.....

I bow to your encyclopaedic knowledge of hifi mythological nonsense.

:clap:

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
TrevC, I have my solid state amps plonked on the floor and my CD players plonked on whatever surface or stand is convenient for putting the disks in and out. It all sounds fine. But there's really no harm in the original poster trying a few isolation possibilities to see what difference they make in his system, especially if they're relatively inexpensive, or he can sell them on or return them for about the same price he bought them for.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Covenanter said:
ellisdj said:
ellisdj said:

Chris

Hard knee house curve is based on solid facts - humans dont hear bass in a linear fashion, all say they want a flat freq reponse but the reality is the deeper the bass the more volume is needed for it be audible at the same volume. A flat freq response is not actually flat in how you hear it.

Therefore a curved bass setup actually works better - and followinng the advice you set it up to your ears

The hard knee house curve addresses the issue of bloated bass caused by a standard house curve - once you have your system setup like this I doubt you could ever go back as you could hear where the bass is severly lacking.

I don't know what to say to you!

Chris

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:

I did and no they don't. It's also worth noting that the article was written in 1995, way before computers were being used as playback devices and mp3 players were available (ie no moving parts playback systems), so to try and apply it to modern tech is folly.

Plus the article dares to say talk about studios when it's obvious the writer is just a hifi nut and doesn't have a clue about what goes on in a studio. Does he not think that after all these years, those professionals who create the music that he so badly wants to listen to in "high fidelity" wouldn't have tried such things and come to their own conclusions. Quite frankly the whole article smacks of sanctamonious bullcrap of the highest order with somebody who is sooooo obsessed with tweaking that they've lost sight of the plot.

-edited for posting wrong bit in wrong thread! doh! -

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Bloody snake oil brigade

Lindsay T - just because you put your kit on the floor doesnt make it right - thats the worst place for it to be just to point out, even on a concrete floor although I am guessing yuo dont have an exposed concerete floor

I have done controlled blind testing based on isolation and that proved to me there and then and several others that it is important and does make a difference. In fact I didnt know isolation was being changed so there was no bias at all.

Secondly I have tested this myself and heard it with my own ears that isolating certain products improves sound quality. In my room there is a lot of bass - I like it this way - and it sound best for it - its necessary to have a lot of bass to support a full range sound.

There is energy moving into all my compnents I dare say - some more than others. Now this definately harmfil of delicate imaging cues for one and I have heard it with ym own ears make a significant difference to the transparency of bass I get from my sub.

There is no snake oil here a piece of polystyrene under the power supply feeding my audio pc. It makes a difference simple as that.

I have looked at the many different products been linked too - some are very very expensive, overly expensive but not all are.

Thanks for the input

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
ellisdj said:
Covenanter said:
ellisdj said:
ellisdj said:

Chris

I don't know what to say to you!

Chris

And to you - you clearly have not looked this up - if you did you would realise that I am 100% right.

In fact you can test it yourself - play a 90hz test tone - then play a 30hz test tone - I would wager all I own that the 30 hz tone will sound a lot quiter to you than the 90hz. You might noit have 30hz in your room or it will probably be modal so maybe try 35hz

If you also look at how Anthem Processors and the new receivers setup the sound its in a similar way - thats because of actual official studies that have been done that prove that this sounds best. Technically it makes sense as well.

You can write it off thinking you know best - but at the same time your missing out!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Bloody snake oil brigade

Bloody foo brigade :wave: :grin:

ellisdj said:
Lindsay T - just because you put your.... (tuncated)

and I've tried it and found it made no difference whatsoever. So where does that leave us?

What about the fact that the article you were harping on about was written pre solid state playback devices? What if I linked to an article from 1966 that said that we all needed to wear tin foil hats to get rid of the radiation which is affecting the sound. Does that hold any weight today?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
This is where I think the main divide of opinion comes - from me and others, I often disagree with people on here.

The environment where I did the blind testing was done was completely controlled acoustic treated room - that is also there best I have heard a hifi sound from an imaging point of view. It was possible to clearly make out all members of a band within their space and there was silence inbetween them which gave them their space. This playback was not perfect I know now but it opened my eyes to what is possible for audio playvback and what surprisingly makes a difference - is actually not snake oil at all

I have heard lots of different systems since - nothing gets close to that what I heard that day - why because the environment these systems are in is not as good and are killing the sound even £££££££££££££ worth of kit - sounding garbage.

After hearing the system that I became hell bent on getting that sound at home (as close as I can) - and looked to improve the acoustics of my room. This makes more of a difference than anything else you can spend your money on. Simple as that.

So here is my point - I see picture after picture after picture of peoples system in hollow rooms, wood floor all looking pretty but I know for a fact that any system in that room will sound hindered by a huge % as much as 100% by the room

So the acoustic environment people do their testing is killing the testing - because the person is hearing the room in the first place and not the kit.

Hard fact but a true fact.

So they say cables, isolation etc are all snake oil becuase in their room they heard no difference - fair enough but they are not factoring in the high % of influence their hearing of the room to start with and how much is being lost.

So for them to say categorically these products make no difference is a false recommendation.

Instead they should say - I heard no difference in my room - and nut shun peoples work as a con

TRENDING THREADS