Isolatton Products - what exists?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
to a certain degree yes - you can pay extra for further isolation plinths.

This is for products not on the rack - but I will be trying the rack based products to see if there is futher benefit to be had

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
to a certain degree yes - you can pay extra for further isolation plinths.

This is for products not on the rack - but I will be trying the rack based products to see if there is futher benefit to be had

fair enough.

Always wondered (semi seriously) if just lobbing stuff in a hammock wouldn't be the best idea...

Before anybody thinks about it, I'm just off to tradmark the audiophile hammock range :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its not for a turntable - its for other products -

- External Linear Power Supply - Main product (on mdf shelf)

- Isotek Titan (on mdf shelf)

- Audio PC (On rack)

- Meridan Processor (on rack)

These are what I plan tottest on. My Sub puts a lot and its to try and control this as much as is possible.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the pc will make no difference.... If you don't believe me play some music, pick the ****** up and give it a move. I guarantee it won't change the sound one bit.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
We'll see, there is some slight vibrations on the case so I think I can improve on this also

most peoples computers are far from setup anywhere near optimally to get full sound quality anyway - its mostly and generally pure noise coming off a standard pc so differences from isolation will be lost. Thats not the case with my audio pc I have spent a lot of ££ and time into it, its far from ordinary

The streacom case I am using has very low profile rubber feet that are as good as uselsss for isolation.

Its the Linear Power Supply powring part of the audio Pc thats my point of initial interest - placing the LPSU ontop of a thick slab of ploystyrene has made a positive difference - therefore a properly designed solution should benefit far greater

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If there's no moving parts then isolation is pointless. But if you do have a sack of cash you'd like to dispose of, I can recommend various charities.

:)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend AVI active isolation products. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herzan-MOD-1XL-AVI-100XL-L-Dynamic-Vibration-Isolation-System-Table-Platform-/191142354304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c80f8dd80

They will give you measurably better vibration isolation than passive systems. The inherent stiffness is 50 times better than passive isolators, giving you less distortion. They are far better than legacy isolation systems which suffer from boom and tizz due to them connecting the vibrations to the components.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I am looking into isolating a few of my system components.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141250272240?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Not interested in little rubber balls of £15 - looking at proper solutions - I already know of stillpoints and black ravioli just seeing what else exists?

Many electrical components change parameter when stressed. Resistors, capacitors, inductors can all be impacted, and depending on the circuit design can be microphonic and therefore sensitive to vibration. HOWEVER, these days with miniture surface mount components bonded to the circuit board, the effect is usually negligable.

Ellisdj, before you go spending good money after bad, there is a very simple test to see if you have components that are microphonic. Turn the volume way up, and tap the box of the device you think may be a problem. If you hear something out of the speaker, then the device is microphonic and may benefit from isolation/coupling (depending on where the vibration is coming from). If you can't hear anything out of the speaker, then the device isn't microphonic, wont be impacted by vibration, and no amount of stillpoints or ravioli or whatever will make the slightest difference.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
ellisdj said:
I am looking into isolating a few of my system components.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141250272240?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Not interested in little rubber balls of £15 - looking at proper solutions - I already know of stillpoints and black ravioli just seeing what else exists?

Many electrical components change parameter when stressed. Resistors, capacitors, inductors can all be impacted, and depending on the circuit design can be microphonic and therefore sensitive to vibration. HOWEVER, these days with miniture surface mount components bonded to the circuit board, the effect is usually negligable.

Ellisdj, before you go spending good money after bad, there is a very simple test to see if you have components that are microphonic. Turn the volume way up, and tap the box of the device you think may be a problem. If you hear something out of the speaker, then the device is microphonic and may benefit from isolation/coupling (depending on where the vibration is coming from). If you can't hear anything out of the speaker, then the device isn't microphonic, wont be impacted by vibration, and no amount of stillpoints or ravioli or whatever will make the slightest difference.

+1

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that - but again not needed.

I dont need advice on whether i need isolation products or not - thanks anyway. You obviously didnt read the earlier posts.

I am after company names that sell them - so far nothing of any help from anyone

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
WHY DO WE GET members doing this THE GUY asked for advise on his problem not whether you agree or not if you dont think isolation works then dont comment dont wast his time with stupid comments

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ellis, here are some ideas, though some are quite expensive:

Townshend: http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation/

Valhalla Technology: http://www.kronosav.com/accessories/isolation.html

Track Audio: http://www.trackaudio.co.uk/brochure/files/Track-Audio-Brochure.pdf

Nordost Sort Cones: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/nordost-sort-kone-as-isolation-cone?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CKGf5Mnyl74CFbShtAod3CIAug

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers david n cno

Wish you hadnt linked to the seismic pods! Great but at 1k starting too rich for me :)

Looking to £100 ish mark - seen some i like the look of wondering what else about at that price

Davids link very useful thanks

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Thanks for that - but again not needed.

I dont need advice on whether i need isolation products or not - thanks anyway. You obviously didnt read the earlier posts.

I am after company names that sell them - so far nothing of any help from anyone

I find these quite good:

http://www.symposiumusa.com/rbjr.html

http://www.symposiumusa.com/HDSE.html

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
robg1976 said:
WHY DO WE GET members doing this THE GUY asked for advise on his problem not whether you agree or not if you dont think isolation works then dont comment dont wast his time with stupid comments

I agree 100% with this. They just can't refrain from doing so.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
robg1976 said:

Probably the same reason WE GET PEOPLE typing ODD THINGS in CAPS for NO REASON and not actually helping the op this making their own post exceptionally ironic.... don'tcha think :)

If somebody came on here and said they were looking for good spearker cables to pair their say linn speakers up to an 80's amstrad amp, do you not think that it might be prudent to advise the person that maybe their amp is not up to the job? Why do threads have to be dictated to? Is there an written law somewhere that we are not privvy to? Given he's asked on a forum and not used google which would have given him a plethora of information then one has to expect that the results and answers will not be under one's control.

What Andyjm has said is correct about to check to see if something needs isolation, but if ellisdj wants to ignore that advice it's up to him, but if that's the case, then more fool him quite frankly as I can't see how isolating a pc (espcially one modded for next to none if not no moving parts, even if it does contain a world of foo) will help at all. I mean otherwise people wouldn't be able to use mp3 players whilst jogging now would they? Plus all of the studios I've worked in never felt the need to use isolation products on the computers, they're usually either rack mounted or on a shelf.

cheeseboy said:
robg1976 said:

Probably the same reason WE GET PEOPLE typing ODD THINGS in CAPS for NO REASON and not actually helping the op this making their own post exceptionally ironic.... don'tcha think :)

If somebody came on here and said they were looking for good spearker cables to pair their say linn speakers up to an 80's amstrad amp, do you not think that it might be prudent to advise the person that maybe their amp is not up to the job? Why do threads have to be dictated to? Is there an written law somewhere that we are not privvy to? Given he's asked on a forum and not used google which would have given him a plethora of information then one has to expect that the results and answers will not be under one's control.

What Andyjm has said is correct about to check to see if something needs isolation, but if ellisdj wants to ignore that advice it's up to him, but if that's the case, then more fool him quite frankly as I can't see how isolating a pc (espcially one modded for next to none if not no moving parts, even if it does contain a world of foo) will help at all. I mean otherwise people wouldn't be able to use mp3 players whilst jogging now would they? Plus all of the studios I've worked in never felt the need to use isolation products on the computers, they're usually either rack mounted or on a shelf.

+1

However if the OP wants to spend money then who are we to stop him.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
ellisdj said:
ReValveiT said:
If there's no moving parts then isolation is pointless. But if you do have a sack of cash you'd like to dispose of, I'd can recommend various charities.

:)

Thats not true either, far from it in fact - this thread is not intended for debate on the subject I am just interested in knowing what products exist on the market I dont already know of

Heres some light reading on the subject

Yup I did have good success placing a set of Nordost Quasar Points under my power distributor and it certainly doesn't have moving parts.

In making the above statement, I'm sure the usual accusations from the usual suspects will come, but they'll just be water off a duck's back.

TRENDING THREADS