Is this common? (Should I Return this Speaker?)

Armchair

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I decided a while back to buy a new Hi-Fi and settled on an MCR-610 and Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers.

The speakers arrived this morning and one of them has the tweeter pushed in slightly.

I spoke with the company where I purchased and they are willing to take a return - however, that's loads of hassle for me.

The guy I spoke to suggested that this happens very often with speakers of this type with soft tweeters and that a return was probably unneccessary and they could be fettled into perfect shape again.

What do you think - is he right?

OK_Speaker.jpg

Damaged_Speaker.jpg

Needless to say I'm new to all this so have no idea :)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Don't touch them. As soon as you start fiddling the retailer will not take responsibility.

The only course of action is send them back.

A friend managed to do this to the tweeters on both speakers, and made quite a good job re shaping them, but he'd done it himself and had no choice.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Seems like Q Acoustics have some rather worrying QC issues.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/would-you-ask-for-a-replacement-for-a-little-dint-in-new-speakers

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Don't touch them. As soon as you start fiddling the retailer will not take responsibility.

The only course of action is send them back.

A friend managed to do this to the tweeters on both speakers, and made quite a good job re shaping them, but he'd done it himself and had no choice.

+1

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Armchair said:
The guy I spoke to suggested that this happens very often with speakers of this type with soft tweeters and that a return was probably unneccessary and they could be fettled into perfect shape again.

What do you think - is he right?

No he is a complete and utter tw*t. Yeah it happens quite often when some dipstick pokes them in with a finger. Send them back for a replacement or refund if he comes out with a load of boll*cks trying to fob you off.

Where did you buy them from, a reputable hifi dealer or Lidls ( i.e richer sounds / several oak trees etc etc ).

Just noticed they /he will accept a return ,do it.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Trev they are brand new mate , the OP shouldnt have to resort to the ' get out of Gaol ' tricks. He is new to this and I'm pretty sure he will totaly f**k em up.

Armchair

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I bought them from www.petertyson.co.uk

I don't think the guy I originally spoke to was trying to mess me around - I think he was legitmately trying to find out how bad they were. Irrespective of this he instantly offered me a replacement so I don't doubt they will follow through on this. (the website seemed to get decent reviews and the people I've spoken to so far have been helpful).

Many thanks for everyones advice - I'm awaiting a call back to arrange the replacements and I'll let everyone know how that goes :)

Armchair

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to add - I've no idea if the speaker sounds OK as I don't have my Marantz MCR-610 yet.

Having a pretty terrible day off to be honest!

The MCR-610 was supposed to be delivered at the same time, yet the driver insisted it wasn't on his van. He's just phone me 10 minutes ago to say that he's found it.... sigh.

PAULCHRISTOPHER

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I also bought Q Acoustics speakers from Peter Tyson of which one proved faulty (2050i) . Poor mid range sound quality in one speaker .This was replaced with no hesitation on their part but it is a lot of hassle paticularly as the carrier had them on their van twice but would not deliver them as he was instructed to pick up the faulty speakers which they had already collected!. If the packages are unopened (as they were) I cannot see that it is the dealers fault. Judging by the weight of the 2050i's I think the packaging is only just aqequate. The faults listed in several cases on here might be attributable to transit or packing damage. I can hardly believe that QA's quality control would allow speakers to be packaged with visible damage. Very possibly the damage might occur in the packing process. Having said all that when you do eventually get an undamaged pair they are superb at least with Marrantz PM6004, CD6004 and NA7004 which I have. It goes without saying. Get them replaced.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
@ Armchair

I dealt with Peter Tyson as well, same components. They are incredibly helpful so you can't go wrong with them. In fact they will say (like others here) that you shouldn't accept anything that is less than perfect when it is new (their (PTs) words not mine). :)

And I sympathise with your 'terrible day off' as I've been having a few of those as well lately. But you have bought a really good combo froma good online retailer so don't fret. And give them time to burn in. At least 40 hours before you'll think wow! And if you haven't got any speaker cable yet get something other than cheap 42 strand as it'll throttle the sound without a doubt...the setup deserves something good between them. I say that knowing there are a lot of unbelievers on these forums but that's my advice...makes a massive difference.

If you do ever get the stands you'll notice quite a difference again to the sound. But they still sound good without them IMO. I paid £159 for the stands but I wouldn't have gone to £200. I think £159 is the maximum they should be really. Yes, they do make a difference (and you can tell immediately) but not £200 worth of difference.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I cannot believe some of the advice that is given on here.

Glad to see you are going down the replacement route 'Armchair', even though it will mean yet more hours [days] waiting for a delivery driver. There is no excuse for goods to be in this sort of shape, unless there was a noticable hole/dink in the packaging. My experience is that Tyson are a supremely helpful company, both before and after you have paid your money.

It seems that Tyson and Q Acoustics need to sort out better packaging/packing/quality control.

Best of luck when you get your system up and running. It would be nice to hear how you get on.

:cheers:

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I purchased some other kit from Peter Tyson and I noticed that some of the products on the PT website have loyalty vouchers with them as well as a 3 year warranty inc. So when I also bought a Marantz NR1504 afterwards I got a £40 loyalty voucher with it, so I used it against the cost of the stands. :)

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thats 3 sets of the same speakers that seem to have arrived damaged on this forum in the last week , I would send them back for sure , and if I was PT I'd be checking if they are all from the same shipment to him . Disgruntled employee some where maybe ?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've used Peter Tyson many times, great retailer and have always been good to deal with if I've had a problem.

I effectively got £70 off a Sonos S5 once as I had the loyal voucher from a Roksan amp.

Armchair

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Just another quick update to say that the replacement speakers will be with me on Tuesday - they are dropping them off at my workplace and taking away the damaged ones.

Excellent customer service so far - fingers cross the next set are OK :)

A

Anonymous

If you are not very care its appearance, you can keep it. But I recommend you to return it, because anyone who buy a new product don't want it with flaw.

Armchair

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I said I'd keep everyone up to date with this and my replacement speakers arrived today.

This set are perfect and are now hooked up and sounding fantastic. GJ Peter Tyson :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Armchair said:
Well, I said I'd keep everyone up to date with this and my replacement speakers arrived today.

This set are perfect and are now hooked up and sounding fantastic. GJ Peter Tyson :)

Excellent. Enjoy. :dance:

TRENDING THREADS